Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

11 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

Got my first shot (Pfizer) this morning at the Will County Health Dept and so far, so good. Just very minor arm soreness thus far. Got a little emotional because I could sense how happy the seniors there getting the shot were. For people who haven't seen their loved ones much over the past year, this means a lot to them, in addition to the peace of mind of not having this virus as a threat for them anymore.

When I scheduled the appointment for my second shot, the receptionist said the vaccination clinic is the happiest place in the health dept. I think there needs to be more optimism portrayed in public health messaging about what these vaccines mean to help ease some of the reticence that some have. They're really an amazing thing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have been involved with the local health department's vaccine point of distribution (a school gym.)  Many people, especially the elderly, have cried tears of joy for the opportunity to be vaccinated.  It's been paradoxical that this clinic has been created to fight a deadly pandemic, while being one of the happiest places I've been a part of for some time.

Also, I want to comment on the posts in the last couple of days concerning masks. The government is in a no-win situation here.  They are getting strong push-back from the anti-maskers, even though they are proven effective. The comment about California being proof that mandates don't work is correct, only because people refuse to follow it.

On the other hand, if the government did not take a strong position on a mask-wearing, they would be castigated for not doing enough to stem the spread of the virus, i.e. not promoting a proven aid in reducing the spread.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, OSUmetstud said:

I'd like to see the study. But Spain, Italy, France and some South American countries are clear counter examples. 

Counter examples to what? The countries you mention are specifically listed in examples that supports the obesity case in the study. 

ETA: https://www.worldobesityday.org/assets/downloads/COVID-19-and-Obesity-The-2021-Atlas.pdf

Interesting

A recent Canadian study published in Blood Advances, evaluated a data that involved 95 patients with severe COVID-19 infection. Out of the 95 individuals, 84% had blood type A and required mechanical ventilation.

Comparatively, 61% of the group with blood type O and B needed similar treatment.

Researchers came to the conclusion that type A blood type has a higher risk of COVID contractions than other blood types.

16 hours ago, OSUmetstud said:

The same folks who were against/skeptical of social distancing, masks, vaccines, and any restrictions are the same folks pushing for excercise/diet mitigation. Just would like to point that out lol. 

You could also say the people who were blindly accepting new science about all of those things are the same ones skeptical about the science behind exercise/diet mitigation. Everybody has a lens they view the world through.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, schoeppeya said:

Counter examples to what? The countries you mention are specifically listed in examples that supports the obesity case in the study. 

ETA: https://www.worldobesityday.org/assets/downloads/COVID-19-and-Obesity-The-2021-Atlas.pdf

Counter to the idea that if the US had more European obesity rate there would have been a much lesser effect. Italy Spain France and southern American countries don't have particularly higher obesity...certainly nothing like North America. I'm well aware that obesity is a considerable risk factor for covid generally. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, schoeppeya said:

You could also say the people who were blindly accepting new science about all of those things are the same ones skeptical about the science behind exercise/diet mitigation. Everybody has a lens they view the world through.

I'm not skeptical of the efficacy of diet and exercise for individual health. I'm skeptical that's a reasonable way to fight an ongoing pandemic. None of the major players in public health from what I can see have though to go down that road. And I'm going to defer to their wisdom here.

Comparing anti mask and anti vax rhetoric to this is really something though lol. 

• Like 1

I think the general theme going forward is that we may get a secondary uptick in cases soon but hospitalizations and deaths will continue to gradually fall through the spring and summer as a larger percentage of high risk folks get vaccinated. 

I'm somewhat concerned of another wave in the winter if immunity wanes enough/variants but I think the pandemic phase of this is mostly over. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Vaccines are not political. You're a nut bag. 

Definitely an odd response.  I simply said there's plenty of literature that goes against your literature regarding masks and the covid vaccine (not vaccines in general).  

:weenie:

• Weenie 2

1 hour ago, OSUmetstud said:

I'm not skeptical of the efficacy of diet and exercise for individual health. I'm skeptical that's a reasonable way to fight an ongoing pandemic. None of the major players in public health from what I can see have though to go down that road. And I'm going to defer to their wisdom here.

Comparing anti mask and anti vax rhetoric to this is really something though lol. 

I’ve never said anything anti mask or anti vax at any point during this thread. I am very much anti government mandates for those things because I don’t think mandates work and I think they automatically make it a contentious issue. I view masks a lot like you view exercise- I think they will help protect you on an individual level but I have been (I think rightly so) very skeptical that they would stop most people from catching Covid at some point. I do think it’s pretty clear at this point vaccines are going to do that, though. 

• Weenie 2

1 minute ago, schoeppeya said:

I’ve never said anything anti mask or anti vax at any point during this thread. I am very much anti government mandates for those thing because I don’t think they work and I don’t think that automatically makes it a contentious issue. I view masks a lot like you view exercise- I think they will help protect you on an individual level but I have been (I think rightly so) very skeptical that they would stop most people from catching Covid at some point. I do think it’s pretty clear at this point vaccines are going to do that, though. 

I wasn't talking about you. I will listen to arguments about reopening businesses to 100% in Texas but I have a really hard time with the removal of the mask mandate at this stage in the game. Most of the population there should be vaccinated by the summer and there's no business cost to masks. 

Masks help but they aren't a panacea...and where people mask matters. If they are just masking at the grocery store but having their neighbors over for dinner without masks than they aren't really helping those individuals very much. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Definitely an odd response.  I simply said there's plenty of literature that goes against your literature regarding masks and the covid vaccine (not vaccines in general).  

What literature goes against the vaccines?

Link?

There are studies that question the effectiveness of masks and real world data that questions the efficacy of mask mandates but literature questioning the covid vaccines? What?

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Answer the people, trollboy.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

What literature goes against the vaccines?

Link?

There are studies that question the effectiveness of masks and real world data that questions the efficacy of mask mandates but literature questioning the covid vaccines? What?

There is plenty that question the effectiveness of the vaccine. 

• Weenie 2

Just now, dta1984 said:

Exhibit A of how the divide in this country is just getting larger. 

A doctor is asking you to provide some scientific evidence that the vaccines arent effective and you chalk it up as some sort of divided political issue? Why? 

Vaccines are not political. This is one of the greatest scientific achievements of modern medicine, much like the other vaccines that have come around over the past 100 years. Why do you do this? 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

A doctor is asking you to provide some scientific evidence that the vaccines arent effective and you chalk it up as some sort of divided political issue? Why? 

Vaccines are not political. This is one of the greatest scientific achievements of modern medicine, much like the other vaccines that have come around over the past 100 years. Why do you do this? 

I am not questioning other vaccines, and have no issue with them.   All I said was there was plenty to counter the safety of this vaccine ( side effects) etc.   I am not going to google that for you.

• Weenie 2

Just now, dta1984 said:

I am not questioning other vaccines, and have no issue with them.   All I said was there was plenty to counter the safety of this vaccine ( side effects) etc.   I am not going to google that for you .

One piece of scientific evidence that there is safety issue. Not a news article. Not some backwater asshole on twitter. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Angrysummons said:

Yeah, dump the "Q" nonsense. Its a scam of a scam from the FSB to the Watkins family. Why they are even given a moniker as a "conspiracy" group is lolz. Many of their members are global cabalists with the legacy of the Rothschild banking dynasty as their financial wind, who's last vestige is the Russian Central Bank.

I don't know anybody with the vaccines, having problems with it. My mother has had 2 doses and she didn't feel a thing outside a sore arm for a night. My Aunt had Pfizer..........nothing either. They have moved on from Covid.

All those backwater areas of social media have some sort of astroturfing element to them. It's not all grassroots for sure. 

• Like 2

If you're a vaccine conspiracy theorist, then that means you either know literally nothing about how the body and cells work (which I can't blame you for) or that you have serious trust issues and an inability to determine fact from bullshit (which is 100% on you).

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

You said there is literature aka scientific studies. Link?

I'll even settle for non scientific  opinions, link?

I never said scientific studies, I said there's plenty out there to question the covid vaccine safety and effectiveness.  Safety, meaning side effects, which is in the below one of many articles.  Effectiveness, meaning the unknown....can you still get covid, can you still transmit covid?   

https://kutv.com/news/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-side-effects-deaths-the-lack-of-information-on-how-where-to-report

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1