• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

^not sure if this is a serious account...

That being said the majority of people would rather the mandates last one more month so we can get the vaccinations out there to those who need them, ending the mandate now just adds unnecessary risk.

In some ways the deaths that occur in the next month or two are the most tragic.  Help is here or on the way very soon but it's not going to get to everybody in time.

I'm not sure what will happen with the statewide numbers in the states that are ending the mask mandates (will the declines slow or will the numbers actually go back up) but I do know it is a silly decision to make at this point.  A finish line of sorts is in sight.  It has been shown multiple times that areas with greater masking tend to do better than areas with less masking... this has even been demonstrated at the county level in certain states where mask counties have less transmission than non-mask mandate counties.  Less masking ends up putting the community at higher risk and despite the progress, we are not at the point where all of the more vulnerable who want a vaccine have been able to get one.

It does sound like local/county officials will have the ability to enact masking/other restrictions in Texas.  If that's the case, that is a bit of positive news.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hoosier said:

It does sound like local/county officials will have the ability to enact masking/other restrictions in Texas.  If that's the case, that is a bit of positive news.

Local authorities and private businesses can do whatever they want.  This was just lifting the state mandate.  If Best Buy says you have to wear a mask they still have that right.

13 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

One thing has become clear. America is selfish. Everybody is for themselves no matter who it hurts. God forbid we get an even worse pandemic. We will be absolutely f**ked!!!

Last time I checked, most people in this country have sacrificed something they enjoy over the last 12 months to help us get through this. Income, jobs, vacations, their mental health, their physical health, their kids well-being... something. And for most people, they weren't at a high risk of getting seriously sick themselves. The whole "America sucks" schtick is old. 

If you are saying that in response to Texas lifting their mask mandates, at least do a few minutes of research to realize that all the governors order does is give authority to back to local governments and private businesses to order their own mask mandates, which I am sure most will do. 

The only thing that is clear is that there are people that will search for any reason they can to find somebody they deem morally inferior to themselves to blame for whatever they feel is going wrong in their lives.

• Thanks 2
  • Weenie 2

12 hours ago, Hoosier said:

In some ways the deaths that occur in the next month or two are the most tragic.  Help is here or on the way very soon but it's not going to get to everybody in time.

I'm not sure what will happen with the statewide numbers in the states that are ending the mask mandates (will the declines slow or will the numbers actually go back up) but I do know it is a silly decision to make at this point.  A finish line of sorts is in sight.  It has been shown multiple times that areas with greater masking tend to do better than areas with less masking... this has even been demonstrated at the county level in certain states where mask counties have less transmission than non-mask mandate counties.  Less masking ends up putting the community at higher risk and despite the progress, we are not at the point where all of the more vulnerable who want a vaccine have been able to get one.

I think a new justification for the open everything back up group compares covid case rates and deaths in Florida vs California. Stating California having more severe restrictions is doing worse than DeSantis run Florida with its more open policy. I am sure there maybe factors that the non mask mandate followers don't want to delve into are responsible but more political and covid fatigue rationalizations will be made.

On a side note ordered carryout from a local bar/restaurant last night. Went in there and the place was near 100% capacity and besides me only masks on were employees. Unfortunately they didn't get my order right and asked if I would like a beer while I waited. Only took a few minutes but as I sipped a beer watching this, the whole idea of restaurant employees wearing masks and customers not wearing any when it's 100% full and sitting next to each other at the barstools seemed absurd. Those few minutes probably the greatest amount of possible exposure I've had to covid since it started.

49 minutes ago, Angrysummons said:

eeeeeerrrrrrrrroooooooorrrrrrrrr. Destantis lead Florida is worse than Cali when adjusted for population size.

That could be the case. Just another misleading social media talking point to push a particular agenda

50 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

Last time I checked, most people in this country have sacrificed something they enjoy over the last 12 months to help us get through this. Income, jobs, vacations, their mental health, their physical health, their kids well-being... something. And for most people, they weren't at a high risk of getting seriously sick themselves. The whole "America sucks" schtick is old. 

If you are saying that in response to Texas lifting their mask mandates, at least do a few minutes of research to realize that all the governors order does is give authority to back to local governments and private businesses to order their own mask mandates, which I am sure most will do. 

The only thing that is clear is that there are people that will find any reason they can to find somebody they deem morally inferior to themselves to blame for whatever they feel is going wrong in their lives.

Well said, thanks!   

• Like 1
  • Weenie 4

13 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

One thing has become clear. America is selfish. Everybody is for themselves no matter who it hurts. God forbid we get an even worse pandemic. We will be absolutely f**ked!!!

Generalizations such as this serve no purpose and our devoid of fact. I pretty much stay out of the fray here, but this type of blanket idiocy needs to be called out. I have seen numerous posts here, many without specific examples and facts to back up assertions thrown out willy nilly. When you state "everyone is for themselves" you discredit teachers,grocery store clerks, medical personel, and many others including common everyday citizens who have sacrificed. Are there idiots? Of course, it's call humanity. But to post this is a disservice and actually provides ammo for those that choose to sidestep the necessary precautions. 

• Thanks 1

So when you look at numbers per million, Florida has a higher death rate than California but California has more cases.  I don't know for sure but I am going to guess that Florida has a higher percentage of senior citizens in their population than California, which doesn't help in this situation.

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

So when you look at numbers per million, Florida has a higher death rate than California but California has more cases.  I don't know for sure but I am going to guess that Florida has a higher percentage of senior citizens in their population than California, which doesn't help in this situation.

Maybe more of  their cases were front loaded when we had less treatments? Another guess, yours makes sense too.

4 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

Correction: Half of the US is selfish. 

Why don't you go tell the "selfish" people how selfish they are instead of spewing garbage like that on the internet. Only dipshits operate in binaries and you may be a dipshit, but I am sure you're smart enough not to act like one. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 3

21 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

Why don't you go tell the "selfish" people how selfish they are instead of spewing garbage like that on the internet. Only dipshits operate in binaries and you may be a dipshit, but I am sure you're smart enough not to act like one. 

Ooh. You got me 

13 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Interesting Great Britain has a higher death per 1000 rate than the United States. Must be more selfish people there than in the US. 

In all seriousness, I wish studies like these would get more publicity. Something everybody can do for themselves. 

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

You'd have to be living under a rock to not know that obesity is a major risk factor for serious illness from covid.  Then again, perhaps I shouldn't underestimate the general obliviousness of the population.

You may be correct, but its strange to me that self directed health improvements don't get the same attention as other prevention methods. I.E., "wear a mask, social distance" to minimize the risk you catch it ALONG with "exercise, eat better" to minimize the risk of getting a serious case if you do. 

3 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

You may be correct, but its strange to me that self directed health improvements don't get the same attention as other prevention methods. I.E., "wear a mask, social distance" to minimize the risk you catch it ALONG with "exercise, eat better" to minimize the risk of getting a serious case if you do. 

the thing is fixing obesity is a years long thing on an individual level and a generational thing on a societal level.  Yes it should be dealt with but when a pandemic is here the more immediate steps like masking and distancing are a much more appropriate response.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, madwx said:

the thing is fixing obesity is a years long thing on an individual level and a generational thing on a societal level.  Yes it should be dealt with but when a pandemic is here the more immediate steps like masking and distancing are a much more appropriate response.

We are a year in now.  Health improvements that should have been pushed from early on could be well under way by now. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

We are a year in now.  Health improvements that should have been pushed from early on could be well under way by now. 

oh believe me, I've lost 60 pounds in the past year and exercise much more frequently now.  But to actually get health changes in this country we would have to divest from the corporate attitude of selling products that detract from personal wellbeing

• Like 5