Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

7 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I get the eagerness to try to get back to normal life, but boy, why not keep the mask mandate another month or two at least until most of the vulnerable population has been vaccinated.  In the grand scheme of things, that's not that much longer when you are talking about mask mandates that have been in place for many months.  A lot of vulnerable have been vaccinated but there are still a lot that haven't.

I agree. Moving a little too fast, though I do get everyone is tired of the mask

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

18 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Texas is lifting all mask mandates and fully reopening on March 10th. North Dakota, Montana and Iowa have also lifted mask orders in recent weeks.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/texas-biggest-us-state-lift-covid-19-mask-76208428

Uggh couldn't have waited one more month? Didn't they learn from last May? Well looks like we will get our fourth wave then. Although I do wonder in some ways if the winter storms a couple weeks back have affected this, make it so that its a way to jump start businesses again. Also wouldn't be surprised if it's a way to get soem favorablity back with any republicans that may have fallen out of favor after the whole debacle. 

• Like 1

Texas has had a mask mandate since July, which means it was still in effect during their downturn in Sep/Oct.  This isn't even about whether someone personally agrees with a mask mandate.  If you're just going by data, it seems kind of illogical to remove it now if you didn't remove it during the fall. 

Screenshot_20210302-151101.thumb.png.7a956bff6fd24aef56b2e964215f8c1b.png

Screenshot_20210302-151115.thumb.png.5baf696c8dfc72e002ea5ee6cfceb25b.png

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

My state has the highest number of cases per 100,000 people in the entire country right now. I would also state we have one of the strictest mask mandates anywhere in the country. 

Interesting.  I wonder why that is.  Is New York City keeping the numbers more elevated?

1 minute ago, Angrysummons said:

Texas hospitalizations are below the number that they require for a mask. Nothing more or else. Everything should be hospitalizations. Total cases are irrelevant.

Texas had lower hospitalizations in the fall than what they have now.  So why didn't they withdraw the mask mandate in fall?

Screenshot_20210302-152551.thumb.png.1f84bf212906933477925f9282504fcc.png

56 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Texas is lifting all mask mandates and fully reopening on March 10th. North Dakota, Montana and Iowa have also lifted mask orders in recent weeks.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/texas-biggest-us-state-lift-covid-19-mask-76208428

I have held off booking my flight for the end of March due to not being completely sure who will have the mandate or not. I might opt for Texas in this case.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Interesting.  I wonder why that is.  Is New York City keeping the numbers more elevated?

We’ve seen plenty of examples throughout the pandemic of stronger restrictions not always equaling less cases. 

I would guess the mandate was lifted because by that point most of the people in the highest risk group that want the vaccine will have at least one dose of it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Spring break cometh

This is reason why you keep the mandate in place, it is absolutely no coincidence why Texas and all these other states are lifting restrictions right now, and spring break last year was a massive catalyst for spread in this country.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

It's fabulous that the metrics have gotten a lot better since the peak, but there is virtually no downside to keeping the mask mandates in place for another month or two.  We have been in this for a long time, so let's see it through.  The vaccines look to be available to every adult by the end of spring.  Even if a governor/state doesn't want to wait all the way until then, there are still plenty of 65+ year olds in this country who have not been able to receive a vaccine yet.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Pandemic is pretty much over come end of May, Biden just announced.

White House moves up vaccine supply timeline, says U.S. will have enough for every adult by end of May

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/02/white-house-moves-up-vaccine-supply-timeline-says-us-will-have-enough-for-every-adult-by-end-of-may.html

Not every adult will get the vaccine

He is delusional

• Weenie 1

It has now been a year now since the first deaths were reported in Washington State. There is no question people just want to start living their normal lives again. Believe me I want to as well. I just hope these states aren't "jumping the gun" by opening too much while we are still in winter and before the J&J vaccine really gives us the vaccine push we need. I do feel the risk of another spike is low though. By the way, last IHME update no longer implies any jumps in cases due to variants, and shows a steady case decline.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

It has now been a year now since the first deaths were reported in Washington State. There is no question people just want to start living their normal lives again. Believe me I want to as well. I just hope these states aren't "jumping the gun" by opening too much while we are still in winter and before the J&J vaccine really gives us the vaccine push we need. I do feel the risk of another spike is low though. By the way, last IHME update no longer implies any jumps in cases due to variants, and shows a steady case decline.

We'll be able to compare the states doing away with mask mandates to the others in coming weeks.  Whether or not they actually see a spike, if their decline slows down more than the mask states, then we'll be able to point toward the mask mandate removal as a likely reason.

Scientists inch closer to explaining the mysterious 'brain fog' symptom of COVID-19

As larger numbers of people recover from COVID-19, researchers are learning more about "brain fog" in those affected by the virus.

For months, doctors and researchers have been aware of a range of longer-term symptoms afflicting people after recovering from an active COVID-19 infection. One such symptom, generally referred to as "brain fog," can take the shape of confusion, difficulty thinking and concentrating, short-term memory loss, and in severe cases, has even been reported to cause delirium and psychosis.

While scientists still don't know for sure what causes brain fog, they're zeroing in on a few theories. Mainly, scientists increasingly believe brain fog happens when cells that are involved in response to an infection make their way to atypical places, such as the brain.

A key finding emerged when researchers autopsied brains of COVID victims, discovering certain cells that shouldn't have been there. These large cells, known as megakaryocytes, might be taking up precious space, leaving less room for blood to pass to the brain.

• Thanks 1