Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

28 minutes ago, Stebo said:

All that does is limit the potential of hospitalization, doesn't mean that you can't get it. I don't want a bunch of Chads running around thinking they are super human when they are instead super spreaders.

I completely agree with you. Of course you can still get it and pass it on to others that are more vulnerable. Mask wearing, social distancing and getting vaccinated are extremely important. But I also think it's important to let people know that they can also reduce risk of getting severely ill from Covid by exercising and getting into shape. It can be the difference between life or death for some. Anything to reduce risk and help with this pandemic is a good thing.

• Like 1

If my semi-elite distance running teammates were bed-ridden with Covid for a week, then it'll probably kick half of your asses no matter how much "exercise" you do. Yes, being healthy will help your body stave off disease without distraction for sure, but if y'all actually think that being healthy is enough on its own, then you've got to wise up.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Stebo said:

All that does is limit the potential of hospitalization, doesn't mean that you can't get it. I don't want a bunch of Chads running around thinking they are super human when they are instead super spreaders.

And all a mask does is limit your chance of infecting others and yourself, doesn't mean you can't get it. We all still support that, right?

The pushback against health improvements that dramatically improve virus outcome is bizarre to me. 

Surely you're intelligent enough to realize that somebody wanting to take care of their health doesn't make them a "Chad" or more likely to be a super spreader than anybody else. Avoiding a trip to the hospital seems like incentive enough to get into shape, no? 

1 minute ago, schoeppeya said:

And all a mask does is limit your chance of infecting others and yourself, doesn't mean you can't get it. We all still support that, right?

The pushback against health improvements that dramatically improve virus outcome is bizarre to me. 

Surely you're intelligent enough to realize that somebody wanting to take care of their health doesn't make them a "Chad" or more likely to be a super spreader than anybody else. Avoiding a trip to the hospital seems like incentive enough to get into shape, no? 

I am not pushing back on health improvements, you should reread what I am saying. Those here are saying they don't want to wear masks at all even now when it is proven that it improves your chances of not catching covid. That is the "Chad" behavior I am talking about.

1 minute ago, Malacka11 said:

If my semi-elite distance running teammates were bed-ridden with Covid for a week, then it'll probably kick half of your asses no matter how much "exercise" you do. Yes, being healthy will help your body stave off disease without distraction for sure, but if y'all actually think that being healthy is enough on its own, then you've got to wise up.

I can point you to literally thousands of college athletes who tested positive for Covid this year with no symptoms. So again, Covid makes some people extremely sick and you have a much higher chance of avoiding that outcome if you "exercise".

Just now, schoeppeya said:

I can point you to literally thousands of college athletes who tested positive for Covid this year with no symptoms. So again, Covid makes some people extremely sick and you have a much higher chance of avoiding that outcome if you "exercise".

I can point to literally thousands of regular people who tested positive for Covid this year with no symptoms. You are using something that is an anecdote to prove a point.

7 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I can point to literally thousands of regular people who tested positive for Covid this year with no symptoms. You are using something that is an anecdote to prove a point.

No, the person I quoted and responded to was using an anecdote to prove a point-I was using an anecdote to demonstrate his anecdote was a pretty worthless one. My second sentence in the response is unrelated to the first-you don't need anecdotes to show that exercise improves Covid outcomes, science does that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

No, the person I quoted and responded to was using an anecdote to prove a point-I was using an anecdote to demonstrate his anecdote was a pretty worthless one. My second sentence in the response is unrelated to the first-you don't need anecdotes to show that exercise improves Covid outcomes, science does that. 

A healthy diet as well.  With 36% of our population obese, it's no wonder we are in the position we are in. 

4 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

I think you are responding to something I am not saying. I know it improves your chances of not having significant symptoms, what I am saying is that people will act like they can't catch it and not do the precautionary stuff, thus getting it but also spreading it. You are arguing something I am not.

5 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I think you are responding to something I am not saying. I know it improves your chances of not having significant symptoms, what I am saying is that people will act like they can't catch it and not do the precautionary stuff, thus getting it but also spreading it. You are arguing something I am not.

I understand you’re not arguing that point but I’m confused why you think people who exercise will just assume they can’t get it and then become more likely to spread it. Are you saying that because of Jongers comments?

3 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

I understand you’re not arguing that point but I’m confused why you think people who exercise will just assume they can’t get it and then become more likely to spread it. Are you saying that because of Jongers comments?

He is the example of many others like him, bullheaded who never consider others but themselves and will not wear a mask because they think they are 'healthy'.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stebo said:

He is the example of many others like him, bullheaded who never consider others but themselves and will not wear a mask because they think they are 'healthy'.

Hm, I haven’t ran into any people like that-certainly none outside of the internet. But maybe you’re out and about more than I am ;)

Just now, schoeppeya said:

Hm, I haven’t ran into any people like that-certainly none outside of the internet. But maybe you’re out and about more than I am ;)

I work in an international terminal at an airport. Trust me I see a lot more people then you do and before the mask mandate went into effect by Biden, the numbers were about 75/25 wearing/not and worst rule breakers were other workers in the terminal. Still get plenty of the nose dick going on, where people don't know how to wear it but the mandate has helped substantially.

• Like 1

If the myriad of health consequences  of living an obese sedentary  lifestyle aren't motivation enough to improve one's health by exercising and losing weight, then I highly doubt a relative risk reduction of covid illness is going to tip the scale...

I think a really well written article on the variety of missteps in the public health response that led to some of the arguments and perspectives expressed in this thread was recently put up on the Atlantic. 

Worth the read https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/02/how-public-health-messaging-backfired/618147/

From the article on shaming which is one of many really insightful points made by the author.  

And the viral videos shaming people for failing to take sensible precautions, such as wearing masks indoors, do not necessarily help. For one thing, fretting over the occasional person throwing a tantrum while going unmasked in a supermarket distorts the reality: Most of the public has been complying with mask wearing. Worse, shaming is often an ineffective way of getting people to change their behavior, and it entrenches polarization and discourages disclosure, making it harder to fight the virus. Instead, we should be emphasizing safer behavior and stressing how many people are doing their part, while encouraging others to do the same.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I work in an international terminal at an airport. Trust me I see a lot more people then you do and before the mask mandate went into effect by Biden, the numbers were about 75/25 wearing/not and worst rule breakers were other workers in the terminal. Still get plenty of the nose dick going on, where people don't know how to wear it but the mandate has helped substantially.

I have not encountered one individual not wearing a mask in a grocery store/ enclosed setting since at least last April 1. Dupage county 20 miles west of downtown Chicago. Never really saw the controversy. People, by and large follow common sense and do what's in the best interest of their fellow citizen. Just my personal encounters for right or wrong. Should add I'm in a grocery store 5 days a week, and was not even aware  there was a national mandate I was consumed with tracking snow events.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Baum said:

I have not encountered one individual not wearing a mask in a grocery store/ enclosed setting since at least last April 1. Dupage county 20 miles west of downtown Chicago. Never really saw the controversy. People, by and large follow common sense and do what's in the best interest of their fellow citizen. Just my personal encounters for right or wrong. Should add I'm in a grocery store 5 days a week, and was not even aware  there was a national mandate I was consumed with tracking snow events.

The "national mandate" is fairly narrow, applying in places such as federal buildings and airports/airplanes/trains.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baum said:

Mask usage is just fine in this area overall, but the same can't be said if you get away from the major metropolitan regions. Also, just like Stebo I see a lot of people at work who have them on, but don't wear them properly. It seems like those are the same people who declined the vaccine at work too. It was an absolute nightmare for me from October to early February and it sucked. I'm vaccinated now, but I'm still going to wear a mask for the foreseeable future. The vaccines will absolutely reduce transmission, but the prevalence is just too high right now to move away from masks.

11 hours ago, Stebo said:

I’m going to be honest man, I just don’t believe your 75/25 number. I’ve seen one person not wearing a mask in a public area in the 4 months since I moved to Indiana and it was almost as equally rare in Oklahoma. 

I want to be optimistic but there is something going on in Southern Michigan with cases.  I work in a public school and we are dealing with issues we haven't seen all pandemic with cases.  Not sure if it's a variant or what, but it seems way more contagious.   

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Frog Town said:

I want to be optimistic but there is something going on in Southern Michigan with cases.  I work in a public school and we are dealing with issues we haven't seen all pandemic with cases.  Not sure if it's a variant or what, but it seems way more contagious.   

Throughout history when viruses are studied, they mutate to become more contagious. However, in doing so they become less deadly. Along with vaccines this is likely the reason hospitalizations are in a free fall. Getting Covid is not a big deal if all you get is a little cold. Every single person posting here has had a coronavirus in their body before (common cold) Two colleagues at my work just got it and both said it wasn't that bad, not even a fever. 

1 hour ago, schoeppeya said:

I’m going to be honest man, I just don’t believe your 75/25 number. I’ve seen one person not wearing a mask in a public area in the 4 months since I moved to Indiana and it was almost as equally rare in Oklahoma. 

I have only seen a handful of people in the last year not wear a mask around here. It's pretty much a universal thing now. 

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Throughout history when viruses are studied, they mutate to become more contagious. However, in doing so they become less deadly. Along with vaccines this is the reason hospitalizations are in a free fall. Getting Covid is not a big deal if all you get is a little cold. Two colleagues at my work just got it and both said it wasn't that bad, not even a fever. 

I agree.  This next wave won't(shouldn't) come with the sense of doom that the others have now that the most vulnerable are more protected.  However, it will be the first real test.   

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Frog Town said:

I agree.  This next wave won't(shouldn't) come with the sense of doom that the others have now that the most vulnerable are more protected.  However, it will be the first real test.   

Agreed. If you look at the data on hospitalizations it really is remarkable. I think 50% or more of 65+ are already vaccinated across the coutnry. We should dip below 50k hospitalizations this weekend. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nearly-half-of-u-s-population-65-and-older-has-received-a-first-covid-19-vaccine-dose-11614357767?redirect=amp#click=https://t.co/vMDjXvlGn6

https://covidtracking.com/

11 hours ago, schoeppeya said:

That's cool, I know what I have/had seen inside the terminal.

More on long term immunity, looks promising.

• The immune systems of more than 95% of people who recovered from COVID-19 had durable memories of the virus up to eight months after infection.

• The results provide hope that people receiving SARS-CoV-2 vaccines will develop similar lasting immune memories after vaccination.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/lasting-immunity-found-after-recovery-covid-19

• Like 1