Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

27 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

How are you and others, close to my age (46), or even younger, getting the shot so early?  My 76-year-old mom still hasn't been able to get an appointment.  I don't expect to be able to get one for a few months.

It's gotta be about who is considered "essential."  Lots of people fall into that category besides healthcare workers.  But there's no excuse that your mother hasn't been able to get it yet.

2 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Feeling very optimistic this could very well be over for the most part by May.  Mask will probably be required at least through the summer though 

I saw a line from Fauci about mask wearing possibly until 2022.  Couldn't believe it.  Maybe he's being overly cautious or something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

I saw a line from Fauci about mask wearing possibly until 2022.  Couldn't believe it.  Maybe he's being overly cautious or something.

I agree, but on the other hand, it's tricky for me to imagine how masks get fully phased out in the next 10 months. I mean, there almost certainly isn't going to be an "all clear" from the federal government in 2021, right? Even from the start I figured mask requirements would ease over time in small increments. Maybe I'm underestimating how fast things are improving. 

It’s kind of been a cluster here in MA.  I pulled my professional license card to get vaccinated despite being 74 years old.  My wife did the same.  Other than a really sore arm no issues with Moderna shot #1.  The older folks like us have been having less of a reaction though the 2nd shot supposedly is the tough one.  Ironically our daughter had both shots in VT-much more efficient vs MA.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Regarding masks, if case numbers crash to very low numbers by summer, and few people who have been vaccinated are dying or even having any major issues with the virus, and it's hot and humid outside, an increasing number of people will begin to think, "Why am I still wearing this thing?"

Will be interesting to see how it all goes.  The incoming single shot Johnson and Johnson vaccine is a big deal but even so, not like everybody will be able to go get it right away.  I think when we get to the point that everybody who wants a vaccine can get one, that ought to be when things get as close to normal as possible.

6 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

Have my first shot scheduled next Thursday morning, right before a set of 7 midnight shifts. And then my coworker and midnight shift partner has his second shot the next morning. Our MIC is on standby for possibly needing to cover one or two shifts.

From reading the articles about the greatly amplified immune response to the vaccine among covid survivors, and also a friend who had covid about a week after me having had pretty intense symptoms from the first shot, I'm hoping it's not too crazy for me. That said, even though there's some experts saying covid survivors may not need to get the second shot, I currently plan to get the 2nd shot.

The reactions seem to be different for everyone. I only had a sore arm from both shots and no fever/chills type stuff at all.(Moderna) Some others from my work had fatigue and headache from the 2nd shot. One person did have a fever around 100 degrees for a few hours.

Someone who had covid around Thanksgiving just got his first shot and he only had a sore arm as well. The sore arm improves significantly within 48 hours. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nwburbschaser said:

The reactions seem to be different for everyone. I only had a sore arm from both shots and no fever/chills type stuff at all.(Moderna) Some others from my work had fatigue and headache from the 2nd shot. One person did have a fever around 100 degrees for a few hours.

Someone who had covid around Thanksgiving just got his first shot and he only had a sore arm as well. The sore arm improves significantly within 48 hours. 

Yeah one of my coworkers had covid in early to mid November, got the shot (first one) the same day I did and had no symptoms other than the day2 sore shoulder.

9 hours ago, Hoosier said:

It's gotta be about who is considered "essential."  Lots of people fall into that category besides healthcare workers.  But there's no excuse that your mother hasn't been able to get it yet.

The determination of "essential" is being broad brushed to a certain extent. Not unlike businesses given that classification last spring to stay open. Limited supply will always lead to wealthy, politically connected, and highly motivated individuals cutting in the line unfortunately. A neighbor of mine in her 40s received the vaccine as a designated health care worker for fitting glasses at an eye care center. Bit of a stretch but people will take advantage of opportunities given. On the other hand worrying too much about prioritizing only those truly qualified just slows the process down.

12 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

From reading the articles about the greatly amplified immune response to the vaccine among covid survivors, and also a friend who had covid about a week after me having had pretty intense symptoms from the first shot, I'm hoping it's not too crazy for me. That said, even though there's some experts saying covid survivors may not need to get the second shot, I currently plan to get the 2nd shot.

I've been debating the latter given all the recent news about potentially not needing a second dose if you've already had COVID-19. As with everything else during the pandemic, I doubt CDC will recommend anything based on science for at least several months even as other countries appear prepared to do so. If I'm even more protected now from re-infection than those who never had it and got two doses, why not let someone who needs it more than me have it?

I got my first dose about 11 months after having COVID-19. There was some prolonged (~4 days) swelling and soreness in my arm, and I may have had some slight muscle fatigue, but I otherwise had none of the other symptoms reported. I know as of November I still had some anti-bodies from last March, but the study I'm part of didn't divulge exactly how much. 

• Like 1

I've been debating the latter given all the recent news about potentially not needing a second dose if you've already had COVID-19. As with everything else during the pandemic, I doubt CDC will recommend anything based on science for at least several months even as other countries appear prepared to do so. If I'm even more protected now from re-infection than those who never had it and got two doses, why not let someone who needs it more than me have it? I got my first dose about 11 months after having COVID-19. There was some prolonged (~4 days) swelling and soreness in my arm, and I may have had some slight muscle fatigue, but I otherwise had none of the other symptoms reported. I know as of November I still had some anti-bodies from last March, but the study I'm part of didn't divulge exactly how much. 

My friend referenced is a neurologist with admitting privileges at Rush Copley. He got covid from work in early November and then their vaccination process started fairly early being health care workers. After his first shot, everything was amplified vs his covid case symptoms, but for him the worst part of the reaction was that his resting heart rate was at about 130 for a good part of the day after. That plus some of those early studies coming out with writeups in the NY Times were enough for him to decide to not get the second shot.  

I feel the same way about wondering if the immune response is apparently stronger with one dose than a person who hasn't had covid with two shots. It would be nice to know if not getting it meant that someone who didn't have covid yet is guaranteed to get their first or second dose instead, but not sure it works that way. When I mentioned it to the MIC here, his reaction made it sound like they want to encourage all of us to get both regardless of whether we had the virus already. I'm the only one at the WFO who's had covid, so situation is unique to me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

My friend referenced is a neurologist with admitting privileges at Rush Copley. He got covid from work in early November and then their vaccination process started fairly early being health care workers. After his first shot, everything was amplified vs his covid case symptoms, but for him the worst part of the reaction was that his resting heart rate was at about 130 for a good part of the day after. That plus some of those early studies coming out with writeups in the NY Times were enough for him to decide to not get the second shot.  

I feel the same way about wondering if the immune response is apparently stronger with one dose than a person who hasn't had covid with two shots. It would be nice to know if not getting it meant that someone who didn't have covid yet is guaranteed to get their first or second dose instead, but not sure it works that way. When I mentioned it to the MIC here, his reaction made it sound like they want to encourage all of us to get both regardless of whether we had the virus already. I'm the only one at the WFO who's had covid, so situation is unique to me.

A reasonable assumption could be made that your first vaccine shot is equivalent to the 2nd booster if you have already had covid. Especially if you experienced significant symptoms during your covid infection. On the other hand if you were asymptomatic or had a really mild case may consider two vaccine doses.

• Like 3

A reasonable assumption could be made that your first vaccine shot is equivalent to the 2nd booster if you have already had covid. Especially if you experienced significant symptoms during your covid infection. On the other hand if you were asymptomatic or had a really mild case may consider two vaccine doses.
My symptoms were on the mild side (low grade fever for a few days, minor dry cough for a few days followed by a longer duration of cold like symptoms, minor body aches for a few days), so maybe I'd fall into the latter group. Haven't gotten tested for antibodies yet though. My assumption has been that since I did have symptoms and not too much time has passed, that I would have antibodies vs. someone who had a completely asymptomatic infection.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

My symptoms were on the mild side (low grade fever for a few days, minor dry cough for a few days followed by a longer duration of cold like symptoms, minor body aches for a few days), so maybe I'd fall into the latter group. Haven't gotten tested for antibodies yet though. My assumption has been that since I did have symptoms and not too much time has passed, that I would have antibodies vs. someone who had a completely asymptomatic infection.

My girlfriend had the same symptoms as you. She got it in November. Most lasting thing for her was loss of taste and smell for about a month. Then it came back. Regardless, she’s a nurse, and was in the first wave of shots. Got both (Pfizer), and had no problems at all with either, other than a sore arm for a couple of days. I like you, am eligible for the vaccines too. I had back in November too, but milder symptoms than my gf. I’ve actually decided to wait for awhile to get them, figuring I’d like to see others (like my parents) get theirs. I’m not worried for myself, think I can wait considering everything. Also with vaccine supply in IL kind of sketchy, especially here locally, I’d rather wait my turn in line a little longer.

19 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Consult with your primary care physician. Depending on when you had Covid there seems to be enough evidence you should have some protection for at least 2-3 months. Would recommend receiving 1st dose but then see how you react to it. If it's a strong immune response may consider delaying or even foregoing second vaccine booster. Information I've seen indicates there's no harm in delaying the time interval between shots and in fact maybe more beneficial. In addition even as IgG and IgA levels wane in the plasma there still is an adaptive immune response in the form of T cytotoxic cells and B memory cells that need to be studied further in the case of Covid. Most antigens(pathogens) once identified create humoral B memory cells capable of eliciting a much quicker antibody and T cell response upon subsequent exposures.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

After massive drops in the metrics, I am seeing some early signs of a plateau in metrics here in Indiana.  Will have to give it some more time to be sure.  Have not looked around at other states to see if a similar thing is starting.

Numbers have stopped dropping nationwide, but last week was depressed due to both Monday holiday and the weather (Texas especially). Will need to wait until next week to see if its a real trend. 

19 hours ago, Hoosier said:

With the reports of the flu being non-existent this year, I wouldn't be shocked to see certain pols calling for mandatory mask usage during certain months even after COVID fades into history.

I'll be voting against those pols at every chance.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 3

29 minutes ago, Jonger said:

With the reports of the flu being non-existent this year, I wouldn't be shocked to see certain pols calling for mandatory mask usage during certain months even after COVID fades into history.

I'll be voting against those pols at every chance.

Besides offering a semi-effective flu vaccine, we as a society really haven't cared all that much about flu related deaths, even though they usually number in the tens of thousands.  You raise an interesting issue though.  I think it's a hard sell to start making people wear masks for the flu, but I do wonder if some people may decide to wear a mask when they don't feel well.  

21 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Besides offering a semi-effective flu vaccine, we as a society really haven't cared all that much about flu related deaths, even though they usually number in the tens of thousands.  You raise an interesting issue though.  I think it's a hard sell to start making people wear masks for the flu, but I do wonder if some people may decide to wear a mask when they don't feel well.  

I really hope wearing masks doesn't become mandated by certain states during flu season. I can 100% see it happening here in New York. The governors in every state got so much power given to them during Covid, they basically could do whatever they wanted. That's not how emergency powers were meant to be used.

• Thanks 2

You may see me wearing a mask during flu season even if not mandated.  I care about the health of those around me, family, friends, co-workers, co-shoppers, etc. I don't want to make others sick if I am unknowingly spewing the flu virus (not to mention that it may give me some protection.)

• Like 3

During winter cold, a mask is actually pretty warm when I walk out of a store.  It may suck in July, but it's nice in January.  I can certainly see people wearing one during the cold season.  Now that we are all accustomed to wearing a mask and seeing everyone else wearing one, nobody will feel out of place or embarrassed while wearing one in the future.  It will be very easy to just throw one on if you feel like it may offer protection, without having any worry that others might stare at you and wonder why you are wearing it.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

During winter cold, a mask is actually pretty warm when I walk out of a store.  It may suck in July, but it's nice in January.  I can certainly see people wearing one during the cold season.  Now that we are all accustomed to wearing a mask and seeing everyone else wearing one, nobody will feel out of place or embarrassed while wearing one in the future.  It will be very easy for people to just throw one on if they feel like it may offer protection.

I started to type something similar, then deleted it. I found that while exerting myself, such as shoveling snow, I feel better as my mouth stays moist and my lungs feel better.

• Like 1

No one is going to mandate masks for the seasonal flu. The masking orders were issued as an emergency response measure. Once Covid moves into its post-pandemic phase (hopefully by summer with enough vaccinations) there is no reasonable justification for continuing with emergency rules issued for the purpose of controlling the pandemic.

• Like 1