• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

Why should people at relatively lower risk of severe covid infection i.e. age < 45 without comorbidities get vaccinated?

1. The benefits of preventing covid infection with vaccination far outweigh the risks associated with vaccination. There is no ambiguity if you review the clinical trials and safety data from now months of millions getting vaccinated. 

2. The vaccines block chains of transmission, see the following analysis of powerful data from the Moderna vaccine trial. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mattb65 said:

Why should people at relatively lower risk of severe covid infection i.e. age < 45 without comorbidities get vaccinated?

1. The benefits of preventing covid infection with vaccination far outweigh the risks associated with vaccination. There is no ambiguity of you review the clinical trials and safety data from now months of millions getting vaccinated. 

2. The vaccines block chains of transmission, see the following analysis of powerful data from the Moderna vaccine trial. 

Plus, since when were deaths and hospitalizations the only “relevant” markers of health? I’m 28 and healthy and it was a no brainer to get the vaccine (medical student, wasn’t jumping the line!). Will gladly take 95% reduction to my chances of getting the worst flu-like illness of my life or having long-term reductions in exercise capacity or breathing issues. Even if I were to get it and remain asymptomatic, still don’t want to unwittingly expose people around me or have to isolate from my daily life for 10 days.

And like you said, risk of adverse effects is so low, I almost certainly had a higher chance of adverse effects from the Tylenol I took during the one afternoon of headache I had after the 2nd dose than from the shots themselves.

• Like 2

On 2/4/2021 at 9:12 PM, dan11295 said:

When you compare the numbers on state dashboards compared for actual death certificate data reported by the CDC via the National Center for Health Statistics, some states have noticeably higher numbers reported by the CDC. Ohio (15,900 CDC vs 11,500 state) Kentucky (5,020 CDC vs 3,920 state) Missouri (8,318 vs 7,688) Nebraska (2,433 vs 1,952) Oklahoma (5,393 vs 3,681) Wisconsin (6,804 vs 5,992) are some notable examples. OH and OK stand out in particular (40% undercount???).

CDC now shows 550k all cause excess mortality since last year.

I had brought up the potential under counting in Ohio a little while ago. It is likely other states will be reviewing data going forward (or are doing it now, this is the likely reason for such bad numbers out Alabama lately)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mattb65 said:

1. The benefits of preventing covid infection with vaccination far outweigh the risks associated with vaccination. There is no ambiguity of you review the clinical trials and safety data from now months of millions getting vaccinated. 

This. It gets old seeing people post that getting the vaccination if you're under (insert age here) isn't necessary. I get tired of saying if you are a younger asymptomatic carrier and you infect my 80 year-old-grandmother who dies as a result,  that it's the equivalent of involuntary manslaughter. Before anyone gets up in arms because I'm spewing hyperbole, If you cause a death due to negligence (a carnival ride malfunction due to lack of inspections, texting while driving, etc.), you are guilty. 

In other words, if you don't do it for yourself, do it for others. It's just sad that so many people have no compassion for others.

• Like 4

Oh and anyone that says if you are under 65 and healthy to not get the vaccine, immediately revokes their permission to post in this thread. That is beyond stupid for many reasons. There is no need for "dissenting opinions" when they are this goddamn stupid.The whole point of vaccination is so that those who are at risk have a less chance of getting it, not preventing someone who is healthy getting it. I want my grandparents who are in their 80s to live their lives again, so when I get the chance I will be vaccinated even though I am healthy and 36.

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

10 hours ago, IWXwx said:

This. It gets old seeing people post that getting the vaccination if you're under (insert age here) isn't necessary. I get tired of saying if you are a younger asymptomatic carrier and you infect my 80 year-old-grandmother who dies as a result,  that it's the equivalent of involuntary manslaughter. Before anyone gets up in arms because I'm spewing hyperbole, If you cause a death due to negligence (a carnival ride malfunction due to lack of inspections, texting while driving, etc.), you are guilty. 

In other words, if you don't do it for yourself, do it for others. It's just sad that so many people have no compassion for others.

I'm getting mine this morning. But I do have to chuckle at "SOME" of the "do it for others" crowd that insure they get to the head of the line through clout or political means while folks in their 70' and 80's and with alzhiemers sit and wait on a list.  I'm in line as the wife is a teacher and been in class since August. I provide daycare 40 hours a week for my mother who has alzhiemers. I have seen 30 year olds who screamed the loudest about protecting others get the jab while I have seen others in thier 80"s with diabetes who haven't been out since last march have to wait in line get it. You can keep the hypocrisy part of it. I get there is no fool proof plan but still....

• Like 4

17 hours ago, mattb65 said:

It's great to hear this. Whether or not the vaccine can help prevent asymptomatic spread I feel like has been one of the deterrents of people getting vaccinated. 

5 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Vaccines prevent serious illness that lead to hospitalizations and death. There is a reason why the numbers are declining as fast as they are. I'm feeling more and more optimistic that by April we can have this under control :thumbsup:

That was the take away from Johnson and Johnson's vaccine.  While 85% effective against all variants, nobody in the 15% needed to be hospitalized or died.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Baum said:

I'm getting mine this morning. But I do have to chuckle at "SOME" of the "do it for others" crowd that insure they get to the head of the line through clout or political means while folks in their 70' and 80's and with alzhiemers sit and wait on a list.  I'm in line as the wife is a teacher and been in class since August. I provide daycare 40 hours a week for my mother who has alzhiemers. I have seen 30 year olds who screamed the loudest about protecting others get the jab while I have seen others in thier 80"s with diabetes who haven't been out since last march have to wait in line get it. You can keep the hypocrisy part of it. I get there is no fool proof plan but still....

Yeah no need for line jumping either. Those are younger can wait but should still be signing up at the appropriate time.

13 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Yeah no need for line jumping either. Those are younger can wait but should still be signing up at the appropriate time.

I know someone who is late 60s and had a heck of a time trying to schedule an appointment to get the vaccine.  Had to make multiple attempts, and finally got in for the middle of March.  I know the process takes time to reach all age groups but come on.  It should not take that long for someone who is almost 70.

• Like 1

Just now, Hoosier said:

I know someone who is late 60s and had a heck of a time trying to schedule an appointment to get the vaccine.  Had to make multiple attempts, and finally got in for the middle of March.  I know the process takes time to reach all age groups but come on.  It should not take that long for someone who is almost 70.

Absolutely agree, the roll out in general has been absolutely terrible due to the negligence of the last administration. It is only now things are starting to right themselves some.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

24 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Absolutely agree, the roll out in general has been absolutely terrible due to the negligence of the last administration. It is only now things are starting to right themselves some.

There's been no planning for a rollout and just "left up to the states" even thought multinational corporations are the ones handling it.

When you look at the per capita numbers, you can clearly see the areas of the country that have done well and not so well.

Not so well: NY Metro and Northeast (NY/NJ/CT/MA/RI), Deep South (LA/MS/AL), Dakotas (ND/SD), AZ

Done well: Geographically isolated (AK/HI), Northern New England (NH/ME/VT), Pacific Northwest (WA/OR), VA/NC/UT. (Note: Utah is a somewhat special case with an average age of almost 4 years younger than any other state, I suspect that is a factor in their lower mortality rate)

• Like 1

Tonight made me think back on a year lost. I do photography part-time and for the first time since the lockdown began, I have a photo job more than just a quick couple of shots locally. As I was packing, I looked at my clipboard for the first time in what seems like forever.

On it were my assignments for four days of the best HS concert bands, orchestras, ensembles, and choirs. All the performances at about every venue in Indy and Carmel. I had highlighted you specific assignments, written notes about specific photos that were required above my general thousands of PR/event/performance photos and what advertising assignments for vendors were required.

I was 100% packed with gear and ready to go. I started getting some notices a couple of days before that many west of the Rockies groups were not coming. Things were changing every few hours it seemed.

The morning I was to head down to Indy I was told to wait a couple of hours. I was then told it was all but being canceled. Just like that, my whole year of performing and marching arts photography were done. No world championships for WGI, DCI, and no BOA Grand Nationals. No college commencements either. Nothing.

Fortunately I had a real day job in K-12 education where I worked every day. When this all began, we all thought we would take a pause for two weeks and do eLearning followed by spring break and a return to the classroom. Nope. We finished the year with eLearning.

The good news is everyone got on board with returning to school on time for the new school year and we found a way to make it work. We did offer distance learning for those who were uncomfortable coming back. About 15% of the students started the year that way. Everyone else came every day. After all was ok, about another 5% or so trickled back by October. We have played sports and had other activities with of course social distance protocols and masks.

Weather related: Our first day was canceled because of no power due to the derecho. Honestly that was a small blessing. Everyone had been pushing pretty hard to get ready. I think that single day to mentally and physically relax was what we all needed.

I know many have had a much tougher year. It did take me until the fall before I knew anyone that lost someone to Covid. Since then I’ve known of maybe a half dozen people who lost someone close. These are mostly Facebook friends.

It has been a tough year with the politics of Covid. I don’t always agree to the way things have been handled by local, state, and federal governments. Of course it is easy to armchair quarterback.

I am amazed at the job science has done to come up with a vaccine and I think a lot of things will be better off because of this hardship and research.

Sadly the world is full of people who lack common sense and courtesy and so many are just out for themselves. It has been disheartening many times.

In a few weeks, it will be the one year anniversary of the two week lockdown to “stop the spread.”

I am grateful for good health. I’m grateful that some normalcy is happening and I’ll be able to see, hear, and photograph live music performances. It won’t be like the old days. There won’t be many fans. We all have to wear masks and social distance. No concessions or hospitality. I still have most of my spring and summer events canceled but feel good about fall.

Soon the age for vaccines in Indiana will drop to 60 and up. I’ll be probably be 59 years and 8 or 9 months. However, once more vaccines are shipping to the states, I know locally things will get moving quickly. Indiana has a great infrastructure. My only hope is we don’t get bogged down by the feds.

I wrote a lot. Sorry about that if you read it all. Pardon my typos too.

Let’s think positive, enjoy a couple more weeks of snow and start a new beginning with spring.

• Like 7