• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

The wild card going forward.  They think the UK variant is at relatively low levels in the US right now.  At what point does this slow the declining numbers or even lead to a rebound?

U.K. coronavirus strain is doubling in the U.S. every 10 days, study finds

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/07/uk-coronavirus-strain-doubling-in-the-us-every-10-days-study-finds.html

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.02.06.21251159v1

According to this preprint, the B.1.1.7 variant accounts for ~2.5% of all U.S .cases as of the end of January. You have to remember that exponential growth takes time to really become noticeable. The original virus was likely in places like NYC in early February. We know it was in Italy and Iran prior to the first reported Cases in Wuhan. It took several weeks to a couple of months with no mitigation in place for cases to really take off.

Per the paper, Florida seems to have a higher percentage of variant cases than other states (~5%) with it expected to become the dominant variant there by early March. If variant spread does indeed trigger another cases spike, it should occur there first based on the paper.

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

The wild card going forward.  They think the UK variant is at relatively low levels in the US right now.  At what point does this slow the declining numbers or even lead to a rebound?

U.K. coronavirus strain is doubling in the U.S. every 10 days, study finds

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/07/uk-coronavirus-strain-doubling-in-the-us-every-10-days-study-finds.html

If we would have had more funds and research to testing the variants, we would have known that it was here much earlier than we think.  

The rate of decline in hospitalizations  has been dramatic, just one month ago we peaked at a little over 132k in the hospital and in just one month that number has plummeted by over 50k to 81k. With most nursing home residents now vaccinated and an increasing number of 65+ getting vaccinated every day,  I have reason for optimism that we will continue to see a sharp decline in hospitalizations. 

I have every reason to believe that the sharp decline in deaths will begin this week as well. In prior surges of the epidemic the decline from the peak has leveled off at a new higher level and there is some reporting that we are "in the eye of the hurricane" with the UK variant set to slow the rate of decline. I wonder if we will see cases start to plateau in the next month but the most important measures - hospitalizations and deaths continue to decline because the most vulnerable are protected from severe illness and death.

I am hopeful that we are vaccinating fast enough and the seasonality of the virus are both in our favor here. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

My wifes great aunt is likely to die from the 2nd dose of the vaccine as well. Its pretty brutal for even young people.

46 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

My wifes great aunt is likely to die from the 2nd dose of the vaccine as well. Its pretty brutal for even young people.

Well it's not definitively tied to the vaccine in the link that I posted, but it's hard not to think that it set something off in that individual.  To get the vaccine and collapse 25 minutes later and then die is extremely coincidental if it's from something else.

How old is your wife's great aunt?

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Well it's not definitively tied to the vaccine in the link that I posted, but it's hard not to think that it set something off in that individual.  To get the vaccine and collapse 25 minutes later and then die is extremely coincidental if it's from something else.

How old is your wife's great aunt?

Yeah this is just the side effects from the vaccine, shes in her 90s but likely doesn't die right now if not for vaccine. They're not giving it to cancer patients either as side effects are pretty severe with the 2nd shot. These cases are so rare though and still think most should get it.

Some of these "deaths following the vaccine" are due to the fact you have millions of people 65+ getting the vaccine in a relatively short period of time. Normal mortality among the elderly is going to result in deaths shortly after getting the vaccine which have nothing to do with the vaccine itself.

Then you have the cases of anaphylaxis which do occur (they occur with flu vaccines as well). From what I have read the rate of these reactions is not significantly higher that with the flu vaccine, it is just its much more noticeable due to large numbers involved and the fact every case is being made a big deal. You don't hear stories on the news about deaths following flu vaccination, even though it does happen.

The one "grey area" is adverse effects of the 2nd dose, which as mentioned about can be significant. That said in general the risks associated with getting Covid are much more than the risks of getting the vaccine.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, dan11295 said:

Some of these "deaths following the vaccine" are due to the fact you have millions of people 65+ getting the vaccine in a relatively short period of time. Normal mortality among the elderly is going to result in deaths shortly after getting the vaccine which have nothing to do with the vaccine itself.

Then you have the cases of anaphylaxis which do occur (they occur with flu vaccines as well). From what I have read the rate of these reactions is not significantly higher that with the flu vaccine, it is just its much more noticeable due to large numbers involved and the fact every case is being made a big deal. You don't hear stories on the news about deaths following flu vaccination, even though it does happen.

The one "grey area" is adverse effects of the 2nd dose, which as mentioned about can be significant. That said in general the risks associated with getting Covid are much more than the risks of getting the vaccine.

Very well said 

18 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

There are side effects with every medication. The news media knows this but sensationalizes it for ratings. Smh

There have been millions of vaccines and only a handful of adverse reactions/deaths. I really wish they wouldn't report any of that because it just scares people into not getting the shot.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

30 minutes ago, Stebo said:

There have been millions of vaccines and only a handful of adverse reactions/deaths. I really wish they wouldn't report any of that because it just scares people into not getting the shot.

I see both sides of this.  Not a fan of an information blackout, even if you are talking about very rare 1 in many hundreds of thousands or 1 in a million type of reactions.  I don't think people should have to find out about it at the last minute when they go to get the vaccine.  On the other hand, there is a danger in overreporting that kind of stuff and making it out to be a common thing.  The media coverage on the more serious side effects has been fairly reserved from what I have seen.  There are articles but it's not a dominant news story.  

23 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I see both sides of this.  Not a fan of an information blackout, even if you are talking about very rare 1 in many hundreds of thousands or 1 in a million type of reactions.  I don't think people should have to find out about it at the last minute when they go to get the vaccine.  On the other hand, there is a danger in overreporting that kind of stuff and making it out to be a common thing.  The media coverage on the more serious side effects has been fairly reserved from what I have seen.  There are articles but it's not a dominant news story.  

When it is a handful out of millions to me it just taints the waters.

• Weenie 1

On 2/9/2021 at 2:20 AM, StormfanaticInd said:

There are side effects with every medication. The news media knows this but sensationalizes it for ratings. Smh

It is important the side effects are known so people can make a rational decision if they want to take this experimental vaccine.  No reason for any healthy person under 65 to take it. 

• Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

It is important the side effects are known so people can make a rational decision if they want to take this experimental vaccine.  No reason for any healthy person under 65 to take it. 

I too like seeing 1/100000 risks. I don't walk near any river or lake since ive recently found out people have been known to slip and fall in. Theres no need to walk near a body of water when there is a perfectly good high school track to walk around. 

haha sorry I had too. Just dont take it if you dont want, but saying no reason for anyone under 65 is why I sent that sarcastic response. 

• Haha 2