Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

14 hours ago, hlcater said:

Aches, pains and a high grade fever(104).

that said, a fever that high is rare and was reported to VAERS. 

104? That’s absolutely insane, I’d be outraged. That’s dangerous. Worst flu I had I got to 104. Certainly not touching that vaccine.

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Malacka11 said:

That article is the fakest shit I've ever seen. It sounds like it was written by a third grader who just watched a Magic School Bus episode on the cardiovascular system.

Surely we'd be seeing doctors, nurses, and other people whose occupations have required wearing a mask prior to covid dropping dead from lung cancer left and right. 

Anyway, there's a solution to any mask concerns.  Go get the vaccine so things get under control more quickly and we can get rid of the mask mandates.  But I have this strange suspicion that there is a lot of overlap between anti-mask and anti-vax people.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Surely we'd be seeing doctors, nurses, and other people whose occupations have required wearing a mask prior to covid dropping dead from lung cancer left and right. 

Anyway, there's a solution to any mask concerns.  Go get the vaccine so things get under control more quickly and we can get rid of the mask mandates.  But I have this strange suspicion that there is a lot of overlap between anti-mask and anti-vax people.

That's exactly the issue. The Venn Diagram comparing anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers is a perfect circle. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

AS DR. BUNNEL (Kevin McCarthy)"Invasion of the Body Snatchers" SCREAMED:

Y O U ' R E    N E X T !!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9150581/Brazilian-hospitals-run-oxygen-amid-new-coronavirus-strain-Amazon.html?ito=push-notification&ci=68596&si=23068802

HERE IT COMES   HERE IT COMES ..........HERE COMES YOUR      COVID-19TH NERVOUS BREAKDOWN.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-variant-us-dominant-strain.html

3 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Smh

20210115_132923.jpg

The way the US has responded to this pandemic wouldn't be credible for some satire sit-com like Veep. It's been an avalanche of fail from day one. What HASN'T been totally screwed? 

Just crossed 400K deaths on Worldometers as we have the worst per capita death toll in the Western Hemisphere, and among major countries globally beaten by only the UK and Italy. Just so much winning1!!q11!111!! And it's just like the flu1!1!!!!11

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Cary67 said:

This represents one of the biggest threats our country needs to address. The regulation and possible removal of harmful disinformation and misinformation across social media platforms. Unfortunately many Americans don't have the science or medical background to distinguish between factual reliable health guidance and politically twisted garbage. This applies not only to covid but obviously other events that are transpiring now. 

Actually your last 3 sentences represent the biggest threat to our country IMO.

Just now, dta1984 said:

I didn't click on the link, but there's plenty out there on how re using the same mask is not good.  Should be washed or disposed of regularly or will breed bacteria. 

I think it is common sense to have multiple masks, most people wear different ones daily. This is no different than wearing the same clothes every day which people don't do.

• Like 1

Getting tired of giving a platform for the silly nonsense.  My natural instinct isn't to rush to muzzle people, but disinformation is a problem.  If you don't engage, then there is no chance of changing someone's mind.  If you challenge it, then at least there's a small opening.  Obviously the twitters and facebooks of the world are grappling with this on an infinitely larger scale.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Getting tired of giving a platform for the silly nonsense.  My natural instinct isn't to rush to muzzle people, but disinformation is a problem.  If you don't engage, then there is no chance of changing someone's mind.  If you challenge it, then at least there's a small opening.  Obviously the twitters and facebooks of the world are grappling with this on an infinitely larger scale.

Most of the people saying stupid shit have no ambition of ever learning. They want to spread misinformation because they are incapable of anything else.

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

The way the US has responded to this pandemic wouldn't be credible for some satire sit-com like Veep. It's been an avalanche of fail from day one. What HASN'T been totally screwed? 

Just crossed 400K deaths on Worldometers as we have the worst per capita death toll in the Western Hemisphere, and among major countries globally beaten by only the UK and Italy. Just so much winning1!!q11!111!! And it's just like the flu1!1!!!!11

This could set us back big time 

The Norway story will get the anti-vax crowd going.

There may need to be some rethinking on whether to give it to very frail nursing home residents.  The thing is, IF what sounds like fairly typical vaccine side effects were enough to push some people off the cliff, what do you think covid would have done to them?

• Like 2

IHME updated with 566k deaths by May 1.  Daily deaths drop below 1000 after mid-March and down to slightly over 200 per day at the end of April.  IHME has had trouble modeling the downside of the curve in the past, but obviously there's a difference this time with more and more vaccinations.  Let's hope the numbers come down that fast.

6 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

IHME updated with 566k deaths by May 1.  Daily deaths drop below 1000 after mid-March and down to slightly over 200 per day at the end of April.  IHME has had trouble modeling the downside of the curve in the past, but obviously there's a difference this time with more and more vaccinations.  Let's hope the numbers come down that fast.

I wouldn't go down to 200 per day, but could we get down to 1000 by say May? I think so. Maybe even 500 or less during the summer. If the vaccine can be distributed much quicker then less.

34 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I wouldn't go down to 200 per day, but could we get down to 1000 by say May? I think so. Maybe even 500 or less during the summer. If the vaccine can be distributed much quicker then less.

Great, down to a 4/27/11's worth (give or take a hundred) of deaths per day and that'll be great progress.

This whole thing has really made weather seem a lot less awe-inspiring (that combined with the extended period of atmospheric suckitude in the central CONUS).

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Scorpion said:

104? That’s absolutely insane, I’d be outraged. That’s dangerous. Worst flu I had I got to 104. Certainly not touching that vaccine.

Yea you better antivax. It’s unsafe! I should also say using anecdotes of an exceptionally rare outcome to justify your decision is unwise. I had a poor reaction and still think people need to get it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hlcater said:

Yea you better antivax. It’s unsafe! I should also say using anecdotes of an exceptionally rare outcome to justify your decision is unwise. I had a poor reaction and still think people need to get it. 

How right you are. With a efficacy rate of 95%, which is astounding, there is still that 5% that is susceptible.

26 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

How right you are. With a efficacy rate of 95%, which is astounding, there is still that 5% that is susceptible.

The frequency of exceptionally adverse reactions such as that 104 fever is even more rare than that. Reading through the actual data, there are occurrences, but they didn’t even happen in a high enough proportion to have a documented frequency. 

The 95/5 doesn’t refer to the side effects, rather how likely somebody is to catch symptomatic covid after the vaccine.

The risks are overwhelmingly worth the rewards. 

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Stebo said:

You have to take into account a lot of variables to have the numbers fall so rapidly with the most important being the priority vaccination of nursing home residents. This program alone can prevent up to 40% of covid related deaths and except for the most frail individuals, I don't see there being much vaccine resistance in this group. Similarly in the 65+ cohort, by May the majority of these individuals who elect to receive the vaccine should be vaccinated. Again when polls have been done that study vaccine acceptance, it is extremely high in this group for obvious reasons. Then there's the rest of the population over 18 with comorbidities for whom the vaccine should be available by May. Having these cohorts vaccinated with the best efficacy vaccines from Pfizer/Moderna will dramatically bring down the death rate. If there's wide enough distribution by May, vaccination alone could cut the death rate by 75% or more.

I'm addition to vaccination, by May seasonal factors should also be favorable for reducing the natural reproductive rate of the virus.

Combining these interventions could cut the death rate from where it is now at roughly 3500 daily deaths down by 90% in a realistic scenario 350 or by 95% in a best case scenario 175.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, hlcater said:

The frequency of exceptionally adverse reactions such as that 104 fever is even more rare than that. Reading through the actual data, there are occurrences, but they didn’t even happen in a high enough proportion to have a documented frequency. 

The 95/5 doesn’t refer to the side effects, rather how likely somebody is to catch symptomatic covid after the vaccine.

The risks are overwhelmingly worth the rewards. 

This point can't be emphasized enough and just to put the data out there, in the Pfizer vaccine trial 10 total cases of severe covid, 9 in the placebo arm and 1 in the vaccine arm, and in the Moderna vaccine trial 11 cases of severe covid all in the placebo group.

Just to reiterate, once people in both vaccinations were fully inoculated, they prevented symptomatic covid by roughly 95% and there was additional protection against severe disease. 

For fever the rates of fever over 104 F in the Pfizer study was approximately 1 in 10,000 which was actually the same incidence in both the vaccine and placebo groups. Definitely a rare event.

• Like 1