• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

After a hard day of procuring PPE and distributing it to law enforcement, first responders, and county employees, planning vaccination points of distribution in coordination with the local health department, and speaking with local hospital officials about the number and severity of cases being treated, it's refreshing to come home and see this avatar, as it's always good for a smile.

Untitled.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Nationally, we are at our highest average daily number of cases right now.  It's almost like Angrysummons lives for being wrong.

Yeah, at what point do the wrong posts need to go away? I feel like we are reaching that point, this is easily verified stuff that he is wrong about. So he is either being wrong for no reason or there is an ulterior motive here, and there have been other posters removed from threads like these in other subs here. Precedence is there, we don't need active misinformation being spread.

22 minutes ago, Stebo said:

They are purposely lying because no other logical explanation.

Ontario tried that in the Fall by saying testing is why we're finding new cases. A few weeks later when hospitals slowly started to see increase we barely did anything and said its mostly noise because of testing and that numbers have plateaued. 

Sitting here now 6 hours away from a Stay Home Mandate with no restaurants, gyms, malls, open. Curbside pick up for Home Depots, Lowes, Canadian Tire ect.. 

Kind of wish we were a bit stricter in the fall/December but ah well no going back now. 

• Like 3

I'll put forward a contrarian argument regarding national trends, it appears that we may be approaching a plateau in hospitalizations right around 130,000 which has held roughly for the past week. Test positivity also peaked about a week ago and appears to be leveling off or starting to drop.

This could definitely still be a blip in the data but these are both signs that we may be at the peak.

There is the risk that it is a false peak and the more contagious strain of virus could send the infection back to the stratosphere. There's also a race going on between virus and vaccine.

I think even if the virus continues to run wild and I hope it doesn't, with the majority of the nursing home residents getting vaccinated by the end of this month we should hopefully see the daily deaths and infection fatality rate both dropping potentially dropping dramatically in February or March ( some of the timing is a matter of data reporting delays).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mattb65 said:

I'll put forward a contrarian argument regarding national trends, it appears that we may be approaching a plateau in hospitalizations right around 130,000 which has held roughly for the past week. Test positivity also peaked about a week ago and appears to be leveling off or starting to drop.

This could definitely still be a blip in the data but these are both signs that we may be at the peak.

There is the risk that it is a false peak and the more contagious strain of virus could send the infection back to the stratosphere. There's also a race going on between virus and vaccine.

I think even if the virus continues to run wild and I hope it doesn't, with the majority of the nursing home residents getting vaccinated by the end of this month we should hopefully see the daily deaths and infection fatality rate both dropping potentially dropping dramatically in February or March ( some of the timing is a matter of data reporting delays).

Next week or two will be telling to see if this is really the peak and my problem with the other person's post is that it was in the context of frequent downplaying/minimizing, which you have not been doing.  

1 hour ago, dta1984 said:

u7nqzbx5ij861.jpg

Why is it a mystery that the same measures to limit spread of coronavirus wouldn't work for a virus that spreads via the same ways, but is MUCH less contagious, has a shorter period of pre-symptomatic spread, and is partially stopped due to herd immunity via flu shots and previous exposure? If that is too much to comprehend...you're probably the same type of person to share a brainless facebook copypasta. :lol:

For the record it's not just flu that's down either, RSV and enteroviruses are way down as well.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, fluoronium said:

Why is it a mystery that the same measures to limit spread of coronavirus wouldn't work for a virus that spreads via the same ways, but is MUCH less contagious, has a shorter period of pre-symptomatic spread, and is partially stopped due to herd immunity via flu shots and previous exposure? If that is too much to comprehend...you're probably the same type of person to share a brainless facebook copypasta. :lol:

For the record it's not just flu that's down either, RSV and enteroviruses are way down as well.

This sounds too much like science.  You will unfortunately soon be dismissed.  I however agree with you.  

• Like 1

One thing I'm seeing as a possible missed opportunity with the vaccine rollout is that households aren't being vaccinated. We're hearing that doses have been sitting unused and the vials once open have a limited shelf life. If a health care worker also has a spouse and x # of kids, why not vaccinate them all? Another example is a household where one person is 75+ and their spouse is 70-74. Why would only vaccinate the 75+ year old and not both?

If the goal is getting population immunity, shouldn't we be trying to get as many shots in arms as possible and banking on the supply being there for the 2nd dose? I think that's the philosophy being applied in the moves to alleviate the excess supply this week, I'm just wondering if we could be doing even more. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on the speculation.

• Like 2

Just now, RCNYILWX said:

One thing I'm seeing as a possible missed opportunity with the vaccine rollout is that households aren't being vaccinated. We're hearing that doses have been sitting unused and the vials once open have a limited shelf life. If a health care worker also has a spouse and x # of kids, why not vaccinate them all? If the goal is getting population immunity, shouldn't we be trying to get as many shots in arms as possible and banking on the supply being there for the 2nd dose? I think that's the philosophy being applied in the moves to alleviate the excess supply this week, I'm just wondering if we could be doing even more. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on the speculation.

I think with how slow the roll out is, they are just focusing on the people who could easily get it due to occupation. Its ironic though we have a slow rollout but people who are avoiding getting the vax and then doses running the clock out. Needless to say this has been a massive failure in execution by the feds.

I think with how slow the roll out is, they are just focusing on the people who could easily get it due to occupation. Its ironic though we have a slow rollout but people who are avoiding getting the vax and then doses running the clock out. Needless to say this has been a massive failure in execution by the feds.

Yep, the way our Federalist system works is that the states have a lot of power and autonomy. So they were always going to have a large role in the vaccine rollout. That said, agree, the federal government could and should have done much much more to organize the effort among the states, this is literally the largest vaccination campaign in our history. In past crises, we didn't essentially tell the states, "good luck" . Also it's a failure of Congress to not provide much needed funds for vaccine distribution until the recently passed relief bill.  

The failures of the initial vaccine rollout are similar to the failure of the federal govt to help organize the testing regime after the CDC fiasco with the test kits back in February. Yet another example in which our outcomes have been worse than they could've been. Don't think there's any way we avoid a large number of deaths from this virus, but even 100-150k less when it's all said and done would've been that many lives saved and that many less families in anguish, not to mention less people having spent time alone in the hospital battling the virus, and less people with long term health impacts.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Angrysummons said:

Stebo the blabbering fool: I go by positivity and hospitalizations. It has peaked. It isn't growing anymore. Also to note, Johnson and Johnson's traditional vaccine will be out probably in February and by March will take over as the main vaccinating drug.

Among the many problems with your posts is that you express certainty and present questionable and at times factually false information as if it is factual. You also never provide links to sources which is particularly important when you're putting forward more questionable information. This was particularly true when you were posting nonsense about the vaccines. It was always "I know a guy". And never more than that.

You might be right that we are at the peak, you can see my post from yesterday expressing similar sentiments. But you need to look no further than the UK to see that they had a false peak before cases went out of control with the more contagious viral strain.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

Among the many problems with your posts is that you express certainty and present questionable and at times factually false information as if it is factual. You also never provide links to sources which is particularly important when you're putting forward more questionable information. This was particularly true when you were posting nonsense about the vaccines. It was always "I know a guy". And never more than that.

You might be right that we are at the peak, you can see my post from yesterday expressing similar sentiments. But you need to look no further than the UK to see that they had a false peak before cases went out of control with the more contagious viral strain.

He has been pushing the peak thing at various times for weeks.  Here's a post from almost 2 months ago in reference to hospitalizations.

On 11/17/2020 at 2:00 PM, Angrysummons said:

They have already skyrocketed. By early December they will peak.

If you call the peak enough times, one of those times you will end up being right.  Hopefully we are actually peaking now.

Angry's posts in this thread are only part of the issue though.  I have gotten complaints from multiple people and have resisted doing anything, but my patience is running out.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1