Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

1 hour ago, Angrysummons said:

50%+ of the deaths are aged 80+. So yeah, barely anybody under 80 has died. Like I said in a earlier post, you would have to be upward of 1.8-2 million to match Spanish Flu deaths of mostly people aged 20-40. It sucks, it's a weak pandemic though. If the hospitals hadn't crammed up with it, it wouldn't even be front page news.

Too many you guys are like white suburban mom's who freak out when their Husbands/Boyfriends bring home a handgun. Get a grip.

Think about those first two sentences.  If you say that 50% of people who have died are over 80, then who makes up the other 50%?  

You have a knack at making head scratching posts at this board, and it started well before the virus came.  

• Like 8

The fact of it being a much greater risk to the elderly has been known for a long time. We know ~40% of all deaths are in long term care. We also know the mortality risk for younger adults and children, especially those without aggravating conditions is minimal, thankfully. That said, there is still higher hospitalization and mortality risk for any group other than children compared to the flu, plus the risk of long haul symptoms. There is a middle ground between comparing it to the Spanish Flu (which had a different mortality curve plus many people died from what would be treatable bacterial infections today. If it happened today there would have been far less deaths) and somehow suggesting the virus has minimal risk to anyone who isn't in a care facility. There have been >60,000 deaths under the age of 65.

4 hours ago, dta1984 said:

It's actually age 75+, but still...

Overall, the majority have pre existing conditions ....

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1191568/reported-deaths-from-covid-by-age-us/

They are all still someone's parent, grandparent, uncle, aunt, friend, brother, sister, husband, or wife.

It is the leading cause of death right now definitely in the elderly and probably in all age groups except for those under 18.

The callousness of how some talk about the scale of death and suffering caused by this virus is very sad.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Angrysummons said:

50%+ of the deaths are aged 80+. So yeah, barely anybody under 80 has died. Like I said in a earlier post, you would have to be upward of 1.8-2 million to match Spanish Flu deaths of mostly people aged 20-40. It sucks, it's a weak pandemic though. If the hospitals hadn't crammed up with it, it wouldn't even be front page news.

Too many you guys are like white suburban mom's who freak out when their Husbands/Boyfriends bring home a handgun. Get a grip.

Hey you ****ing moron, you know who is above 80, my grandparents. You know who I don't want to die from COVID? Everyone but especially my grandparents who don't deserve to die from a preventable outbreak. You need to stop posting, whether it is voluntary or someone ending your ability because posts like this are absolute bullshit and everyone is tired of reading them.

• Like 7
  • Weenie 2

5 hours ago, Stebo said:

Hey you ****ing moron, you know who is above 80, my grandparents. You know who I don't want to die from COVID? Everyone but especially my grandparents who don't deserve to die from a preventable outbreak. You need to stop posting, whether it is voluntary or someone ending your ability because posts like this are absolute bullshit and everyone is tired of reading them.

Ya control the narrative to what you want to hear.  Seems to be a lot of that going on lately...

• Weenie 3

16 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Ya control the narrative to what you want to hear.  Seems to be a lot of that going on lately...

Your misguided opinions aren’t facts. You’re either really this ignorant or doing a bad job of trolling. Either way, you’re making yourself and people like you look worse with every letter you type, and what’s truly sad, is that you don’t seem to possess the self-realization to process that. You just mope and go into victim mode when someone calls you out. It’s truly pathetic that you can’t even garner the pity you’re looking for.

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

I get it, but at the same time the only true preventable measure is to not see your grandparents until this is over, only go to work or school, do not shop other than for essentials, and no friends or family until this is over.

To me that is absolutely wild. You can consider it selfish, but I refuse to live in total isolation until this is over. Now I’m not being a dumb MAGA, hoaxer about it, but at the same time I’m not afraid of eating out or hanging out with friends either.

If that’s selfish then so be it, but having to work from home is already pretty tough isolation wise. Anymore I think would be overwhelming mentally
  • Like 2

One thing I've witnessed as a teacher for over 20 years is a real lack of perseverance in my students.  It didn't take a rocket scientist to see that this would extrapolate into a society that is "done with it" or " If that’s selfish then so be it, but having to work from home is already pretty tough isolation wise. Anymore I think would be overwhelming mentally".

Could you imagine if we had this mentality during WW2.....

• Like 4
  • Weenie 2

32 minutes ago, Frog Town said:

One thing I've witnessed as a teacher for over 20 years is a real lack of perseverance in my students.  It didn't take a rocket scientist to see that this would extrapolate into a society that is "done with it" or " If that’s selfish then so be it, but having to work from home is already pretty tough isolation wise. Anymore I think would be overwhelming mentally".

Could you imagine if we had this mentality during WW2.....

I agree 100%!!! Sometimes you have to sacrifice for the greater good 

• Like 1

To not listen to the facts regardless of your age, ethnicity or gender is pure ignorance and denial of the willingness to help others.  Selfishness.  

I could care less what age group has a higher death rate.  It doesn’t signify any more willingness to do or not do something during a pandemic.   It helps to often respect others - karma can be a bitch. 

• Like 5

Very interesting article from New York magazine. I've been dead-set opposed to any suggestion that SARS-CoV-2 emerged from anything other than a natural spillover event, because the insinuation that it was lab-created in China whether intentionally as a bioweapon, or by accident has almost from the beginning been used as a blame-shifting excuse by the ***** admin and its MAGAhead sycophants.

However, this article goes into great depth about the risks of so-called "Gain-of-function" research and makes a plausible case that an accidental release at the Wuhan Institute of Virology could have been the final link in a chain that began with a bat coronavirus that infected its first humans (through massive overexposure, and couldn't transmit between humans at the time) all the way back in 2012, in southern China hundreds of miles from Wuhan. I'm not saying it's convinced me, but it's certainly opened my mind a little more to the possibility.

Make sure you have ample time and some popcorn, it's a lengthy read.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/coronavirus-lab-escape-theory.html

• Like 2

Went through our family.  My 36 year old wife who is a kick boxer was in bed for 12 days and lost 12 pounds.  In the 15 years I've known her, I've never seen her sick like that.  3 out of my 4 kids got it but it was mild.  The scary part was waiting to see what it would do to them.  I quarantined in my room initially as I brought it home from school(I'm a teacher), but with a family or 4 it's difficult to mitigate but i tried.  In retrospect,  I should have gotten a hotel room.  My wife is stubborn and kept walking in our room thinking a mask would help.  When the viral load is that high, a cloth mask is gonna do anything FYI.  It's like walking into a hospital when someone's been sick for days in a bedroom.  

I'm a firm believer that the degree to how sick you get is the viral load you get exposed to.  What makes this difficult and unpredictable is how some get exposed to a lot and don't get sick.  It's definitely the exception though.  I was exposed mildly at school and had a mild case of it.  My wife got a mega dose and was a long hauler.  My kids got what most kids are getting; tired for a day or two and a slight fever.  

She took it likely and thought everyone was overreacting.  Now she's yelling from the roof top to be cautious.  Sound familiar??

5 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

I don't think its really registering just how many people have died in America from this pandemic. I don't think its going to hit home until this is over and they open everything back up. Then you will notice so many missing faces are not here anymore 

Unless you live in a retirement home or in a senior community, it’s not going to be that drastic. Yes, this is the worst pandemic in a century, and the death toll is alarmingly high for a country of our wealth and resources, but going forward we ALL will have to think more objectively.

Hyperbole only reinforces the biases of people who think your perspective is off in the first place. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, RobertSul said:

Unless you live in a retirement home or in a senior community, it’s not going to be that drastic. Yes, this is the worst pandemic in a century, and the death toll is alarmingly high for a country of our wealth and resources, but going forward we ALL will have to think more objectively.

Hyperbole only reinforces the biases of people who think your perspective is off in the first place. 

You people make it seem like our elderly population doesn't matter. Don't forget you are going to get old one day buddy:fulltilt:

2 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

You people make it seem like our elderly population doesn't matter. Don't forget you are going to get old one day buddy:fulltilt:

Concern about our elderly population AND pointing out hyperbolic statements can exist in the same sphere - they’re not mutually exclusive. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

370k+ dead and you are calling me hyperbolic??:rolleyes: Go **** yourself 

Get. A. Grip. It should never have gotten this bad, but it’s not your apocalyptic vision of a vastly depopulated world bad. Being this willfully stressed out only further hurts your emotional state, doesn’t bring back a single life and further alienates YOU during a time when everyone is already feeling alienated. 

370,000 doesn’t mean we’ll see less people everywhere we go. 37 million, yes. 370,000, no. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 3