Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

7 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

The people who have a constant pathological need to downplay this virus are like the trolls we get toward the NWS when an alerted potential severe weather/tornado outbreak doesn't destroy their neighborhood. It's almost like people need to see a Contagion movie like scenario play out to feel validated.

If a certain prominent politician and his most ardent supporters hadn't made it a sign of weakness to want take safety precautions against this virus, I feel confident in saying it would never have been as politicized. Europe's (and most notably recently the UK's) experience with covid probably shows there would've been no easy way out with this, but I doubt we would've done worse.

The fact of the matter is this virus is the perfect storm precisely * because * most people are okay. It leads to too much focus on individual mortality risk, which especially the younger you get, is low, BUT still much higher than for other highly contagious infectious diseases. This has always been about collective/community risk vs individual risk and it's sad that so many people don't see that. The hospitalization metrics really tell you all you need to know about how serious this is before the horribly sad death numbers because these numbers are for covid only and obviously can go on to lessen the quality of care someone else may receive for a different ailment.

Would anyone ever drive if their chances of a car accident were as high as a bad non-fatal outcome from this virus, like hospitalization and/or long hauler type case or prolonged pulmonary or cardiovascular effects? Most have never said to live life cowering in fear, but to take safety steps not only lowers your own risk and your family's risk, it also can help lessen the downstream effects.

My whole house (my wife, 2 young kids and I) had covid back in late October-early November and yes, silver lining is our risk is much lower for now and likely significantly lower moving forward, but I never would have willingly chose the experience we went through even though it meant that it was safer to see my family for the holidays. (As an aside, I think it's quite possible our 14 year old dog died partially because of covid too.)

Sorry to hear about the passing of your dog Ricky.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2020 at 1:29 PM, Hoosier said:

Another cousin of my mom has covid.  Has a fever, bad cough and loss of smell/taste.  He is late 60s and in a LTC facility.  He went into the hospital for a procedure in fall 2019, ended up having a lot of complications and spent months in the hospital before going to live with his daughter for a while until she just wasn't able to take care of him anymore.  He is in a better condition to fight covid now than he was a year ago but it's still kinda concerning.

I have an update that's not very good.  He seemed to be doing relatively ok but then got much worse last night.  High fever, oxygen level dropped into the 70s and started having stroke like symptoms.  Not sure if he actually had a stroke but he is currently in the hospital in ICU.  They are trying to transfer him from a Bipap machine to high flow oxygen.  He is receiving convalescent plasma (that's what was said, so I assume it is that and not the monoclonal antibodies) but I wonder if maybe he's passed the optimal window for that treatment.  I'm not sure exactly when he started developing symptoms, but since he tested positive 10 days ago, it would be fair to think that he's had symptoms for about 2 weeks.

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, purduewx80 said:

JFC that is science fiction. He is a literal fiction author, not an expert on anything related to any of this. 

Honestly,  I have no clue what the guy is or who he is came across the article and thought it might add to the thread. I'm not even sure if it espouses any direct opinion on the topic  one way or the other but it  does seem you might be quick to shut down any type of dialogue that doesn't meet your standards or fit your viewpoints. Quick add on here as I went back to make sure the article was not simply a fictional account as noted above. While it is true the author is a fiction writer he has also done non-fiction work. I have included an excerpt that alludes as such:

"I hadn’t interviewed scientists about SARS-2 or read their research papers. But I did know something about pathogens and laboratory accidents; I published a book last year, Baseless, that talks about some of them. The book is named after a Pentagon program, Project Baseless, whose goal, as of 1951, was to achieve “an Air Force–wide combat capability in biological and chemical warfare at the earliest possible date.”

Just wanted to make sure I was posting relevant material here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most workers aren't going to die from Covid or have long term problems. Probably most of them it was just a bad cold and they have already had it. Why should they take it??? This is part of the problem. You identify the problem areas FIRST. It is something many Gov's screwed up last spring. The problem is the large number of old people in their 80's dying and 60/70's hogging up hospital space.
Stop badgering younger people. Period.
Fwiw, more and more evidence suggests that Covid started in Europe fwiw.
The only thing I'll agree with is this: Dr Scott Gottlieb (Trump's former FDA chief), who's been a very good source of covid info, thinks we should be opening up higher risk age groups younger than 75+ instead of trying to focus on designated priority groups. This makes a good deal of sense: we're trying to race to get to population level herd immunity, so the priority should be as many shots in arms as possible. Let people who want to get vaccinated get the vaccine. The highest demand is in 60+ age group, so let them get it and if younger essential workers want to wait, let them and let others at a higher risk get the vaccine.

Ultimately though, it is important that all age groups get it. We need to promote the importance of doing so. It's not badgering younger people -- the only way we can get to herd immunity is if at least 70% of the population is immune.

On the last point, there's not a chance the virus started in Europe.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Honestly,  I have no clue what the guy is or who he is came across the article and thought it might add to the thread. I'm not even sure if it espouses any direct opinion on the topic  one way or the other but it  does seem you might be quick to shut down any type of dialogue that doesn't meet your standards or fit your viewpoints. Quick add on here as I went back to make sure the article was not simply a fictional account as noted above. While it is true the author is a fiction writer he has also done non-fiction work. I have included an excerpt that alludes as such:
"I hadn’t interviewed scientists about SARS-2 or read their research papers. But I did know something about pathogens and laboratory accidents; I published a book last year, Baseless, that talks about some of them. The book is named after a Pentagon program, Project Baseless, whose goal, as of 1951, was to achieve “an Air Force–wide combat capability in biological and chemical warfare at the earliest possible date.”
Just wanted to make sure I was posting relevant material here.
I don't think it's wrong to speculate about the possibility that it was an accidental release of a hybrid virus from lab experiments. The author does cite field experts about their own speculation on potential it was an accidental lab release. The thing is, the virus probably still is of natural origin, but the intermediary animal hasn't and probably won't ever be determined because of the CCP's pervasive efforts to cover up the origin of SARS-CoV2.

Given the cover-up by the CCP and seeming coincidence that the spread of the virus likely started in the very city where a high security lab is researching bat viruses, I don't think it's baseless to wonder. None of us that I know of on here are experts on virology but yet I don't think it's unfair to raise the issue the author did despite the fact he doesn't have expertise in this area. It goes both ways, China covering up origin of the virus, neither proves nor negates it was an accidental lab release. The original SARS was zoonotic and yet the CCP engaged in a cover-up with that too. It's what they do.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 2

Big reason the national hospital numbers are still rising is the Midwest numbers are not falling too fast while the entire southern US/4 most populated states are continuing to jump.

States like Florida, Georgia & Texas are really starting to really go off the rails. 31K cases in Texas is...not good.

19 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

Big reason the national hospital numbers are still rising is the Midwest numbers are not falling too fast while the entire southern US/4 most populated states are continuing to jump.

States like Florida, Georgia & Texas are really starting to really go off the rails. 31K cases in Texas is...not good.

Deaths will probably peak at 4500/day 

1 hour ago, Angrysummons said:

Cases are down a bit and so are deaths. Its peaked. I would ignore hospitalizations due to the lag. I suspect midmonth they go down.

The holidays complicate the picture, but if you just compare the numbers, we are pretty much where we were right before Christmas in terms of cases and deaths.  Hopefully a downturn is more obvious than this in the next couple weeks.

Screenshot_20210106-155412.thumb.png.82be7c35cb840e4ff56ced347aaab967.png

Screenshot_20210106-155443.thumb.png.7ccaf5ffb226727dcc726daf0ff345d5.png

Other than medical personnel, this whole choosing who gets it first is dumb. Give as many shots as possible & make the population immune. That protects everyone quicker than what is happening now, which essentially is a cluster.

I really don’t like that many medical professionals are refusing the shot, it’s like meteorologists on different local networks giving massively different snowfall totals. Who the heck do you believe?

1 hour ago, StormfanaticInd said:

What a day in America. This will only complicate fighting this pandemic 

The only thing that surprised me is that it didn't happen weeks ago.  

Anyway, shouldn't be making references to it here.  A friendly reminder from the admin:

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/announcement/21-reminder-no-political-discussions/

• Like 1

The only thing is hospitalizations should be peaking prior to deaths peaking. Doe not make sense for deaths to have peaked just before Christmas if hospitalizations have risen 10-15% since then. AFAIK nothing new has been applied in the hospital setting to meaningfully reduce mortality.

1 hour ago, dan11295 said:

The only thing is hospitalizations should be peaking prior to deaths peaking. Doe not make sense for deaths to have peaked just before Christmas if hospitalizations have risen 10-15% since then. AFAIK nothing new has been applied in the hospital setting to meaningfully reduce mortality.

The death numbers look like they are still rising. Today in particular is terrible. The most reliable figure on tracking continues to be hospitalization data. Until it starts meaningfully dropping we can't confidently say cases are going down imo.