• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

My co-worker's wife is a nurse practitioner at a walk-in clinic. She has been dealing with Covid patients since day one and it finally got her. She has double pneumonia and will find out tomorrow when she gets a plasma infusion.  It is beginning to worry me because it is hitting many people in my circle. I'll just keep masking up and stay isolated as much as possible. It's just hard to do in my line of work.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The peak of the entire pandemic should occur sometime in late January/early Feb. Then a gradual decline until this thing is hopefully completely gone by end of 2021. 

I'd think the more contagious variants may make total eradication harder.

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I'd think the more contagious variants may make total eradication harder.

From reading Trevor Bedford's twitter, sequencing done, while limited, shows the UK/SA variants have not been detected here yet and are likely not currently circulating in large enough quantities so be responsible for any of the surge in the US. This includes places like LA County in particular. Not that they can't become a major factor before mass vaccination of the general population occurs in few months, but that window would be limited it appears. I would be more worried about actual evidence of mutations showing evidence of vaccine evasion, which hasn't happened yet (or been confirmed at least).

4 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The peak of the entire pandemic should occur sometime in late January/early Feb. Then a gradual decline until this thing is hopefully completely gone by end of 2021. 

Increase in hospitalization have really slowed. I see a hospital peak with next 1-2 weeks, followed by decline. I think deaths fall below epidemic threshold (~250/day) by April at latest due to combo of vaccine/existing pop. exposure. Some sense of normalcy returns by Summer. Next few weeks in particular are going to be brutal though, unfortunately.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, dan11295 said:

Increase in hospitalization have really slowed. I see a hospital peak with next 1-2 weeks, followed by decline. I think deaths fall below epidemic threshold (~250/day) by April at latest due to combo of vaccine/existing pop. exposure. Some sense of normalcy returns by Summer. Next few weeks in particular are going to be brutal though, unfortunately.

Not so. Christmas /New years surge starts in about two weeks and we only have 2 million vaccinated so far when it was supposed be 20 million. We most likely peak in February 

2 hours ago, dan11295 said:

From reading Trevor Bedford's twitter, sequencing done, while limited, shows the UK/SA variants have not been detected here yet and are likely not currently circulating in large enough quantities so be responsible for any of the surge in the US. This includes places like LA County in particular. Not that they can't become a major factor before mass vaccination of the general population occurs in few months, but that window would be limited it appears. I would be more worried about actual evidence of mutations showing evidence of vaccine evasion, which hasn't happened yet (or been confirmed at least).

There's no way to know this because this country has not spent the money on sequencing like other countries have.