Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Article about which groups are most reluctant about taking the vaccine:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/12/15/health-202-some-americans-will-refuse-coronavirus-vaccines-who-where-they-are-matters/

In short, self-identified Republicans, people in rural areas, people in their 30s and 40s, and African Americans.

The reasons are likely different.  For Republicans, it's because they are more likely to think the virus is not a big deal.  People in their 30s and 40s probably don't feel as threatened on a personal level.  For African Americans, it may be rooted in things like the Tuskegee Study.

As an African-American I can tell ya that the scars from the Tuskegee study are still there and are definitely playing a role...I mean as for me personally, I'm not too reluctant (just making sure there aren't any ill-effects, which is fine since I'll be at the end of the list anyway, lol) but others certainly are. I think it's gonna take a heck of a campaign...with more black leaders getting publicly vaccinated--along with as much transparency as possible.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

California is already at 33k cases so far today. YIKES

I came home and saw that and thought LA County reported early or something, when i saw that they didn't I was like wtf.

LA County just reported 21,400 cases!!!. I read there was a bit of a backlog but they were already reporting 10k+ daily.

Hospital: 15,886 (+688) ICU 3,297 (+104). The rise in hospitalizations is steeper than last week.This is rapidly becoming the worst situation anywhere in the country.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

I came home and saw that and thought LA County reported early or something, when i saw that they didn't I was like wtf.

LA County just reported 21,400 cases!!!. I read there was a bit of a backlog but they were already reporting 10k+ daily.

Hospital: 15,886 (+688) ICU 3,297 (+104). The rise in hospitalizations is steeper than last week.This is rapidly becoming the worst situation anywhere in the country.

Even if you subtract the backlog in cases its still over 14k cases in one county!!! This is really bad.  California has the potential to be worse than New York 

16 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

New York state was getting 800-1000 deaths per day at peak.  Don't think we'll get that high in California unless there's consistently about 50k cases per day or more.

LA County has two million people more than New York City. With such a high density of people it would not take much at all to overwhelm their hospitals and they only have 4. Thus New York numbers are in the realm of possibility 

My GF is a nurse in Dupage said they noticed things seem to be getting better in the area. 

They’re well staffed now with extra workers by her (a lot were off sick past couple weeks) and can take a day off but she doesn’t want to.

Less admissions are coming in the covid unit too.

That’s good news at least that things are leveling out around the area. 

6 minutes ago, Scorpion said:

Lol at the hysteria. Meanwhile cases and hospitalizations continue to drop in WI, everything is open still.

If you lol about the "hysteria" around my friends and relatives who have had horrible cases of the virus and families of my friends who have died, you may end up waiting on an open hospital bed yourself. :fulltilt:

Oh, yeah and my friends who work as respiratory therapists who have been going 100 mph for months also wouldn't take kindly to you laughing about the situation.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

If you lol about the "hysteria" around my friends and relatives who have had horrible cases of the virus and families of my friends who have died, you may end up waiting on an open hospital bed yourself. :fulltilt:

Oh, yeah and my friends who work as respiratory therapists who have been going 100 mph for months also wouldn't take kindly to you laughing about the situation.

Gotta feel for the healthcare workers.  I mean, you know you are going to encounter things in that line of work, but the scale is probably something they didn't imagine.  People talk about mental health of those on the outside during these times, but how about the mental health of the healthcare workers who are dealing with this stuff on a daily basis?  They are often with covid patients as they die since visitation by family members generally isn't allowed.  There are probably going to be lasting mental health consequences for those people long after things start to get back toward normal. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Gotta feel for the healthcare workers.  I mean, you know you are going to encounter things in that line of work, but the scale is probably something they didn't imagine.  People talk about mental health of those on the outside during these times, but how about the mental health of the healthcare workers who are dealing with this stuff on a daily basis?  They are often with covid patients as they die since visitation by family members generally isn't allowed.  There are probably going to be lasting mental health consequences for those people long after things start to get back toward normal. 

yes, i've brought this up too.  honestly, i think some of these people need to get off twitter, and take a tour of an overflowing hospital.

• Like 2

3400 dead today.  for context: on average, heart disease kills 2100 per day, cancer kills 1800 per day.  so right now covid is killing almost as many people as heart disease and cancer combined. 

but hey, it's not that fatal, 99.997% survive.  or something.   

• Sad 1

Yes the numbers are going down in the upper Midwest and Plains, that's how epidemic waves work. Rise, peak and fall. Per capita, Wisconsin has gotten off a bit easier than say, the Dakotas or Iowa. The Dakotas have some of the worst morality rates in the entire country, despite having very little impact from it through the summer and having access to better treatment than in the Spring.

California is definitely becoming a trainwreck.  It's not just putting up big numbers due to having 40 million people.  The per capita numbers are getting worse and worse.

Even if nobody else in the country surges, California is going to keep the national numbers propped up high for quite a while.

7 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

Might be a bit quicker if they can get LTC facilities focused, as they are responsible for ~33% deaths. but everything in the next 5-6 weeks is pretty much baked in,

I wonder how the LTC facilities are doing the vaccine.  Are they doing all the residents at once or doing it in phases?  It matters more if your employees have side effects and have to miss work than if the residents have some side effects.

Maybe one of the more severe allergic reactions to the vaccine that we've heard about so far.  This woman had no history of allergies and her symptoms kept coming back.

Alaska Health Worker Had a Serious Allergic Reaction After Pfizer's Vaccine

WASHINGTON — A health care worker in Alaska had a serious allergic reaction after getting Pfizer’s coronavirus vaccine Tuesday, symptoms that emerged within minutes and required an overnight hospital stay.

The middle-aged worker had no history of allergies but had an anaphylactic reaction that began 10 minutes after receiving the vaccine at Bartlett Regional Hospital in Juneau, Alaska, a hospital official said. She experienced a rash over her face and torso, shortness of breath and an elevated heart rate.

Dr. Lindy Jones, the hospital’s emergency department medical director, said the worker was first given a shot of epinephrine, a standard treatment for severe allergic reactions. Her symptoms subsided but then reemerged, and she was treated with steroids and an epinephrine drip.

When doctors tried to stop the drip, her symptoms reemerged yet again, so the woman was moved to the intensive care unit, observed throughout the night, then weaned off the drip early Wednesday morning, Jones said. He said the woman felt well, remained enthusiastic about the vaccine and was set to be discharged later Wednesday.

Although the Pfizer vaccine was shown to be safe and about 95% effective in a clinical trial involving 44,000 participants, the Alaska case will likely intensify concerns about possible side effects. Experts described the woman’s symptoms as potentially life-threatening and said that they may prompt calls for tighter guidelines to ensure that recipients are carefully monitored for adverse reactions.

Dr. Paul Offit, a vaccine expert and member of an outside advisory panel that recommended the Food and Drug Administration authorize the Pfizer vaccine for emergency use, said the appropriate precautions are already in place. For instance, he said, the requirement that recipients remain in place for 15 minutes after getting the vaccine helped ensure the woman was quickly treated.

“I don’t think this means we should pause" vaccine distribution, he said. “Not at all.” But he said researchers need to figure out “what component of the vaccine is causing this reaction.”

Dr. Jay Butler, a top infectious disease expert with the Centers for Disease Control, said the Alaska case showed the monitoring system works. The agency has recommended that the vaccine be administered in settings that have supplies, including oxygen and epinephrine, to manage anaphylactic reactions.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/alaska-health-worker-had-serious-012800134.html