Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

37 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Hospitalizations are up +157 in Indiana over yesterday.  That is a large jump for a state of this size and not something I expected to see after the recent decreases.  Really stands out.  Almost makes me wonder if there were some recent reporting delays or something.

A few states already show some notable jumps in hospital numbers today, including PA (+300), NC (+180) and FL (+250)

6 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

A few states already show some notable jumps in hospital numbers today, including PA (+300), NC (+180) and FL (+250)

Here's the chart for IN from Covid Tracking.  Had the decreases and then suddenly, boom, +157 (which is not plotted yet).

Curious to see if the other Midwest states will also report higher numbers today.

Screenshot_20201215-120445.thumb.png.634511a80c0c9aadadcfe70b01836558.png

Sometimes a rural county grabs my eye so I'll pick them out and watch for a while.  Lately I have been watching Benton county, Indiana.  As said, it's rural with about 8700 people and a population density of 21 people per square mile.  

2 weeks ago, they had about 400 total confirmed cases.  Now it's up to 635.  

I'm scheduled to get dose 1 of the vaccine tomorrow morning, from what I've read, dose 1 generally has very mild side effects and dose 2 tends to have the flu-like reactions. This makes sense because dose 1 primes the immune system so when you get dose 2 the immune system ramps up the attack which is what causes the fever and body aches.

• Like 1

Probably a good bet the northeast snowstorm is going to mess with the numbers some.

Nationwide I think the case numbers have about peaked. Much of the Plains/Upper Midwest from Colorado to Michigan is falling in case numbers and hospitalizations. Obviously once you get outside those areas you have areas still surging.

In hospital: 112,816 (+2,267)

1 hour ago, dan11295 said:

Probably a good bet the northeast snowstorm is going to mess with the numbers some.

Nationwide I think the case numbers have about peaked. Much of the Plains/Upper Midwest from Colorado to Michigan is falling in case numbers and hospitalizations. Obviously once you get outside those areas you have areas still surging.

In hospital: 112,816 (+2,267)

Like a fire burning through a forest, the fire diminishes eventually in one spot and moves on. Germany with over 800 deaths today-they're in some trouble. Proportionally for us that would be well over 3000 deaths. Deaths in other western European countries are decreasing now other than Italy and the UK to an extent. 

Some more vaccine news released from the FDA review of the Moderna data. In the Moderna study, they apparently swabbed all trial participants prior to their second dose and found that there was also a reduction in asymptomatic transmission by 64%. 

This is a follow up on a couple posts I had with OSU and Hoosier last week regarding the Pfizer/Biontech study. That study looked at only symptomatic patients so it is possible the vaccines are only effective at preventing symptoms/reducing disease severity and not necessarily preventing infection. This new data from Moderna provides more evidence that the Moderna vaccine probably does both. Since the vaccines are both using the same technology, I think it's a safe assumption that both mRNA vaccines will provide similar benefits to the recipient.

And hopefully they are even more potent at preventing transmission after both doses because the finding was only after the first dose.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1251237?__twitter_impression=true

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mattb65 said:

Some more vaccine news released from the FDA review of the Moderna data. In the Moderna study, they apparently swabbed all trial participants prior to their second dose and found that there was also a reduction in asymptomatic transmission by 64%. 

This is a follow up on a couple posts I had with OSU and Hoosier last week regarding the Pfizer/Biontech study. That study looked at only symptomatic patients so it is possible the vaccines are only effective at preventing symptoms/reducing disease severity and not necessarily preventing infection. This new data from Moderna provides more evidence that the Moderna vaccine probably does both. Since the vaccines are both using the same technology, I think it's a safe assumption that both mRNA vaccines will provide similar benefits to the recipient.

And hopefully they are even more potent at preventing transmission after both doses because the finding was only after the first dose.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1251237?__twitter_impression=true

That's great. The early animal studies weren't clear that these vaccines were going to reduce transmission. 

I know that this is beating a dead horse, but as a country, our response is pathetic. Most of our rise as a world power is because of our ingenuity and science. Now, rather than following the science, we are following the money, while chanting the mantra "a vaccine is coming to save the day." Meanwhile, cases are skyrocketing.

Had this pandemic happened at almost any other time in our history, we wouldn't see what's depicted in the chart below.

covid cases.png

• Sad 1

Article about which groups are most reluctant about taking the vaccine:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/12/15/health-202-some-americans-will-refuse-coronavirus-vaccines-who-where-they-are-matters/

In short, self-identified Republicans, people in rural areas, people in their 30s and 40s, and African Americans.

The reasons are likely different.  For Republicans, it's because they are more likely to think the virus is not a big deal.  People in their 30s and 40s probably don't feel as threatened on a personal level.  For African Americans, it may be rooted in things like the Tuskegee Study.

• Like 1

Just got dose #1, barely felt the shot at all but when they had to bring it the drill to insert the microchip well, don't want to discourage anytime. Thankfully they reassured me that Fauci, Hugo Chavez, Q, and the "deep state" all worked together programming the microchip to make sure it would only affect people who voted for Trump.

All kidding aside, the shot itself was less painful than the flu vaccine, if I get any symptoms from this dose I'll be sure to mention it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Pennsylvania with 278 deaths today 

They are having a rough time, more hospitalized in PA (6375) now than in Illinois at peak and higher average deaths/day as well. Higher than their spring peak as well, despite advances in treatment. the lower CFR now has had more to do with testing more people than treatment advances. 

https://www.texasmonthly.com/being-texan/texas-wedding-photographers-have-seen-some/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

The wedding photographer had already spent an hour or two inside with the unmasked wedding party when one of the bridesmaids approached her. The woman thanked her for still showing up, considering “everything that’s going on with the groom.”

When the photographer asked what she meant by that, the bridesmaid said the groom had tested positive for the coronavirus the day before. “She was looking for me to be like, ‘Oh, that’s crazy,’ like I was going to agree with her that it was fine,” the photographer recalls. “So I was like, ‘What are you talking about?’ And she was like, ‘Oh no no no, don’t freak out. He doesn’t have symptoms. He’s fine.’”

The photographer, who has asthma and three kids, left with her assistant before the night was over. Her exit was tense. The wedding planner said it was the most unprofessional thing she’d ever seen. Bridesmaids accused her of heartlessly ruining an innocent woman’s wedding day. She recalls one bridesmaid telling her, “I’m a teacher, I have fourteen students. If I’m willing to risk it, why aren’t you?” Another said everyone was going to get COVID eventually, so what was the big deal? The friend of the bride who’d spilled the beans cried about being the “worst bridesmaid ever.”

After the photographer left, she canceled her Thanksgiving plans with family, sent her kids to relatives’ houses so they wouldn’t get sick, and informed the brides of her upcoming weddings that she’d be subcontracting to other shooters. A few days later she started to feel sick, and sure enough, tested positive for COVID-19. She informed the couple. “But they didn’t care,” she says. They didn’t offer to compensate her for the test, nor did they apologize for getting her sick.  

• Haha 1