Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

7 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Most arguing about mental health now are not doing it in good faith. Stating it just helps their argument against doing literally anything about virus spread. Mental health has always been ignored by so many, and most of the people bringing it up now only do so because it helps argument they’re making.

Bingo.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mattb65 said:

Third highest cause of death for 2020, caused the life expectancy to drop for the first time in Sweden in a very long time. But NBD.... 

I remember some in New England thread were like, “Yawn...wake me up when hospitals are filling up.” Now here in Central PA and all over Midwest and other regions that’s the reality. Local hospitals here are turning some people away, and are at capacity.

The next few months or so are going to be unlike anything that almost anybody alive has seen.  We had 2000+ deaths a day for about a month back in April/May.  We will have it for multiple months this time around and who knows how high the peak may go.  There is indeed light at the end of the tunnel, but it's a slog to get there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The next few months or so are going to be unlike anything that almost anybody alive has seen.  We had 2000+ deaths a day for about a month back in April/May.  We will have it for multiple months this time around and who knows how high the peak may go.  There is indeed light at the end of the tunnel, but it's a slog to get there.

Its going to be a dark winter but we can control how dark it gets. We are not powerless against this virus

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

21 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Its going to be a dark winter but we can control how dark it gets. We are not powerless against this virus

That is true.  Only the next few weeks are already "baked in" so to speak.  What we do now could have an impact beyond that.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, dta1984 said:

It's a very real truth; suicides and abuse are increasing.   All for something that is not that fatal.  

I can't help but come back to this completely reality detached statement.

You have no appreciation for the scale of what 2500+ deaths a day much less 3,000+ deaths per day means. The leading causes of death are heart disease and cancer in this country. If we average 3,000 deaths per day for a whole month, that's just about the same number of people dying from Covid as people that die from cancer and heart disease in a month combined!

"Not that fatal" 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

You have no appreciation for the scale of what 2500+ deaths a day much less 3,000+ deaths per day means. The leasing causes of death are heart disease and cancer. If we average 3,000 deaths per day for a whole month, that's just about the same number of people dying from Covid as people that die from cancer and heart disease in a month combined!

"Not that fatal" 

There are a few idiots in this thread who believe that this is only an old person or a fat person disease.

The reality to me is, how is this any different than the top leading causes of death?  I don't hear too many 12 year olds having a heart attack, but heart disease is the leading killer in this country of the elderly and unhealthy.  I don't see as many 12 year olds passing away from cancer, but cancer is the 2nd most cause of death in this country of the unhealthy and elderly.

Facts are facts.  Numbers don't lie.  Covid is now in the top 3 and unfortunately has affected everyone no matter your age or weight.  I choose to take it seriously.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

You have no appreciation for the scale of what 2500+ deaths a day much less 3,000+ deaths per day means. The leasing causes of death are heart disease and cancer. If we average 3,000 deaths per day for a whole month, that's just about the same number of people dying from Covid as people that die from cancer and heart disease in a month combined!

"Not that fatal" 

There’s a lot of detachment going on in every facet of daily life in America. It’s part of why we’re in such a mess and lowly place right now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

Shoot us some links to share please.

Sure, but isn't it common knowledge that the main side effect is feeling like you actually have the china flu?  I still question for those who decide to get the shot, how easy will it be to get the second one?

Yes, allergic reactions,  bells palsy, and pregnancy/complications of getting pregnant are others that seem to be published recently.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/12/09/pfizer-covid-vaccine-6-things-to-know-before-fda-panel-votes-today.html

• Weenie 1

24 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Sure, but isn't it common knowledge that the main side effect is feeling like you actually have the china flu?  I still question for those who decide to get the shot, how easy will it be to get the second one?

Yes, allergic reactions,  bells palsy, and pregnancy/complications of getting pregnant are others that seem to be published recently.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/12/09/pfizer-covid-vaccine-6-things-to-know-before-fda-panel-votes-today.html

Anti science bullshit. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Where have you seen about Bell's Palsy and pregnancy complications?

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Where have you seen about Bell's Palsy and pregnancy complications?

4 people, but still worth noting

https://m.businesstoday.in/story/pfizer-vaccine-uk-regulator-allays-fears-after-4-bells-palsy-cases-in-us-trials/1/424382.html

Edit;

Not yet tested on pregnant women , unless there is more up to date info  https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/6352679002

2 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Consistent with the trend in the general population. Funny how you failed to mention that. The vaccine will not prevent other forms of disease or death. 

48 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Your link indicates that only 10-15% experience significantly noticeable side effects. What I've read is most are nothing that a dose of Tylenol or Motrin wouldn't cover. Getting the vaccine so that I'm a dead end in a transmission chain is easily worth it to me. I'll probably be getting the vaccine in the next couple weeks, I'm second in line in my hospital behind the ICU, ER and first responders (police, fire, ems).

What do you mean about complications of getting pregnant? Generally speaking pregnant women are excluded from clinical trials and the recommendation will probably be to wait until after the pregnancy.

Regarding the allergic reactions, those are a risk of any treatment whether it be a vaccine or pill or infusion and will need to be monitored to see how common it is. Allergic reactions are almost always treatable. The few cases of bells palsy are still being looked into ( I'm a neurologist so this is in my wheel house) but generally speaking it's an annoying problem that the vast majority fully recover from with time.  What I read is that the early opinion is more likely that the cases of bells palsy were a coincidence.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Consistent with the trend in the general population. Funny how you failed to mention that. The vaccine will not prevent other forms of disease or death. 

I do wonder how the general public would perceive this part.  It could easily be misinterpreted imo, unless someone explains it to them.

In trials conducted in the US, four out of 21,720 participants who received the Pfizer vaccine suffered Bell's palsy, as opposed to none out of the 21,728 subjects in placebo group.