• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

Biden is asking people to wear a mask during the first 100 days of his presidency (warning:  no mention of fringe theories about the EC voting against him).  

I think it's great to frequently encourage this from the top.  I am a bit skeptical on how many minds it can change as people seem to be pretty dug in, but even a small increase in mask wearing wouldn't hurt.

I can only guess the rationale for saying 100 days -- which goes to May 1 -- is that you want to give people who haven't been masking a finite endpoint and that you are hoping that the situation is under control, but I'm not sure about putting that time limit on it.  Not that he's actually saying that here's no way it wouldn't be extended, but it gives the impression that that's the end.  We will be getting some benefit of seasonality by then, as well as more and more people being vaccinated, but we really don't know how many people will have been vaccinated by then.  If it's less than hoped, then it's not out of the question that we could actually be coming down from a higher baseline than we saw in spring 2020.  

I can't see stores already lifting the mask requirement by May 1, but maybe I'm wrong.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Biden is asking people to wear a mask during the first 100 days of his presidency (warning:  no mention of fringe theories about the EC voting against him).  

I think it's great to frequently encourage this from the top.  I am a bit skeptical on how many minds it can change as people seem to be pretty dug in, but even a small increase in mask wearing wouldn't hurt.

I can only guess the rationale for saying 100 days -- which goes to May 1 -- is that you want to give people who haven't been masking a finite endpoint and that you are hoping that the situation is under control, but I'm not sure about putting that time limit on it.  Not that he's actually saying that here's no way it wouldn't be extended, but it gives the impression that that's the end.  We will be getting some benefit of seasonality by then, as well as more and more people being vaccinated, but we really don't know how many people will have been vaccinated by then.  If it's less than hoped, then it's not out of the question that we could actually be coming down from a higher baseline than we saw in spring 2020.  

I can't see stores already lifting the mask requirement by May 1, but maybe I'm wrong.

What im starting to wonder is NHL and NBA regular season is little to no fans. But at what point do the cases start plummeting because of vaccine roll out/mask use/herd immunity? It would be amazing to see NHL and NBA venues with fans for the playoffs, even if just 50-75%. Playoffs start mid April normally for both leagues. 

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

This should have been the case from the summer on, instead of just saying its no big deal or that we are rounding the corner.  Just at least show that you give a crap, science or not.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Indeed.  Looks like worldometers is not going with 25k as the "new" daily number.

OTE: Ohio: “Today the Ohio Department of Health (ODH) reports the Bureau of Infectious Disease has cleared the backlog of pending files that dated back to November 1, causing a one-day spike in cases, bringing today’s reported case total to 25,721. Included in the reported cases for today are the results from approximately 13,000 that were part of the report backlog [...] After understanding more about antigen tests, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), changed their case definition in August allowing antigen tests to be included in case counts without additional verification,” said ODH Chief Medical Officer Dr. Bruce Vanderhoff.  “ODH is now aligned with CDC’s current definition and we will begin reflecting those tests immediately in our daily reported case counts moving forward.”

6 hours ago, Hoosier said:

They don't  mention people are wearing the same masks for weeks at a time, basically helping spread "Covid"

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 4

A rural Kansas hospital is full and other area hospitals have refused 106 diversions. Meanwhile, their staff "bullpen" is empty due to many having Covid themselves. One caveat within this story though: "Case numbers have increased and its county has opted out of Gov. Laura Kelly’s latest mask mandate." I find it hard to feel bad for the county based on that type of leadership.

https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-news/mid-south/kansas-hospital-runs-out-of-staff-as-virus-spreads-highlights-crisis-in-rural-communities/

23 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

A rural Kansas hospital is full and other area hospitals have refused 106 diversions. Meanwhile, their staff "bullpen" is empty due to many having Covid themselves. One caveat within this story though: "Case numbers have increased and its county has opted out of Gov. Laura Kelly’s latest mask mandate." I find it hard to feel bad for the county based on that type of leadership.

https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-news/mid-south/kansas-hospital-runs-out-of-staff-as-virus-spreads-highlights-crisis-in-rural-communities/

kansas tho. lol.

4 hours ago, Nickysixes said:

They don't  mention people are wearing the same masks for weeks at a time, basically helping spread "Covid"

I also heard that anti-maskers don't change their underwear for weeks at a time.  And wearing the same underwear that long helps spread "Covid"

• Haha 2

Indiana's Governor Holcomb just announced that hospitals are required to postpone all non-emergency procedures until Jan 6th.

He also empathized that if you feel you need medical attention, get it. The problem with this action is that many who may need immediate medical attention may not act on it and negatively affect their outcome.

EDIT: He also told health departments that there are no exceptions permitted to limits on gathering numbers based each county's color level.

24 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Indiana's Governor Holcomb just announced that hospitals are required to postpone all non-emergency procedures until Jan 6th.

He also empathized that if you feel you need medical attention, get it. The problem with this action is that many who may need immediate medical attention may not act on it and negatively affect their outcome.

EDIT: He also told health departments that there are no exceptions permitted to limits on gathering numbers based each county's color level.

Hey, at least the bars and restaurants can remain open at 100%.  Even the so-called red counties aren't required to change anything in that regard (only optional to limit the hours of operation... it says nothing about occupancy at a given time) 

5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Hey, at least the bars and restaurants can remain open at 100%.  Even the so-called red counties aren't required to change anything in that regard (only optional to limit the hours of operation... it says nothing about occupancy at a given time) 

That’s unbelievable to me. IN is limiting hospital procedures and is nearing/at hospital capacity but has businesses open 100% capacity? No even talk of limiting capacity or closures?