Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

1 minute ago, dan11295 said:

Both events are/were outdoors and generally involve brief periods of contact. A little bit different then sitting down for 45 minutes at a restaurant or a 3-4 hour indoor social gathering.

I wouldn't say a field storming is brief. But I agree, it's private gatherings that are mostly driving this. 

16 hours ago, winterwx21 said:

And the studies show that risk of severe covid increases with each level of overweight and obesity, so even just losing a little weight can help. Too bad some people take offense so easily. This is not about fat shaming at all. It's about trying to save lives, because there are plenty of people that don't know about the weight issue with Covid.

not taking your advice until you tell me what your resting heart rate is...and, is it elite athlete level?

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, MacChump said:

not taking your advice until you tell me what your resting heart rate is...and, is it elite athlete level?

Obviously heart/lung health is especially critical during this pandemic, because we know that this virus attacks the heart and lungs of many people. Most people that die from this virus die because the lungs or heart give out. So this isn't just about the weight issue ... exercise strengthens the heart and lungs which reduces the chance of dying from Covid. So it's just another reason why exercise can help during the pandemic. There's no question there would be much less deaths if more people exercised. And again I just do not understand why anyone would take offense over medical advice that can help reduce hospitalizations and deaths during a pandemic. Most people don't take offense, but a small percentage of people do. They misunderstand it for fat shaming or trolling, but it isn't those things at all. Talk to any doctor and they will tell you that exercise reduces risk of having severe problems with Covid. Obviously it doesn't eliminate it, but it reduces it which is a good thing.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

15 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I've been into bodybuilding and fitness for 6 years. Let myself go after getting married for a few years and decided to change that.

You actually don't need to work out at all to lose weight. Its a very simple equation. Calculate your maintenance calories to maintain your current weight and subtract however amount of calories you need to from that to start losing weight. It's calories in vs calories out.

This calculator will tell you how many calories you need to eat to maintain your current weight, lose weight, or gain weight.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/calorie-calculator/itt-20402304

Obviously exercise helps, but you honestly don't need it. Diet is by far the most important aspect of losing weight.

Everyone is different. I lost 30 pounds through exercise alone. My diet was pretty good, but I was gaining weight as the years went by as my metabolism slowed down. Then I started running, and after 4 or 5 months the 30 pounds was gone. If I go out for a 7 mile run, that burns about 800 calories. If I do it 5 days a week, that's about 4000 calories burned in a week. That explains how you can lose 30 pounds in several months with exercise and not changing the diet. Of course you can do it with mainly diet and no exercise too, as you said. But some people don't like the idea of eating much less and being hungry all the time. I'd rather eat a little more and go out there and burn 800 calories with a run. Also, studies show that most people don't keep lost weight off if they did it through diet alone, but they do keep it off if they do it through a combo of diet and exercise. Obviously because you can burn off extra calories with extra exercise if you slip up and eat a little more than you're supposed to. So I'd say diet and exercise are equally important.

56 minutes ago, MacChump said:

14 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Obviously heart/lung health is especially critical during this pandemic, because we know that this virus attacks the heart and lungs of many people. Most people that die from this virus die because the lungs or heart give out. So this isn't just about the weight issue ... exercise strengthens the heart and lungs which reduces the chance of dying from Covid. So it's just another reason why exercise can help during the pandemic. There's no question there would be much less deaths if more people exercised. And again I just do not understand why anyone would take offense over medical advice that can help reduce hospitalizations and deaths during a pandemic. Most people don't take offense, but a small percentage of people do. They misunderstand it for fat shaming or trolling, but it isn't those things at all. Talk to any doctor and they will tell you that exercise reduces risk of having severe problems with Covid. Obviously it doesn't eliminate it, but it reduces it which is a good thing.

just write a number...any number...i'll accept any number at all, it could be a 1, or a 2, or a 3, or how about a 4?  It's that simple...

then we can move on to the elite athlete question

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, MacChump said:

just write a number...any number...i'll accept any number at all, it could be a 1, or a 2, or a 3, or how about a 4?  It's that simple...

then we can move on to the elite athlete question

A number for what?? And yeah, I'm very fortunate to have an elite athlete heart. You're acting very strangely. I see someone reacted to your post with a confused emoji, and I am confused too. Don't know what you're trying to get at here.

26 minutes ago, WaryWarren said:

Running is awful on your joints in the long run. Walking a few miles per day is the best, if you're privileged enough to squeeze that into your day. :)

Running actually cured my knee pain. I used to have a lot of pain, but it stopped after I started running. Probably because exercise is a strong anti inflammatory. Walking is great for many people, but it doesn't do a lot (as far as cardio workout) for people that have very strong hearts. I have to run to get my heart rate up.

1 minute ago, winterwx21 said:

I mentioned in an earlier post that my resting heart rate is 36. I'm sure he saw that, which is why he brought it up. I'm guessing he's mocking me for that, which is weird.

Apparently this is the place where it’s cool to shame people for being shape while acting like they’re shaming people who aren’t. 

1 minute ago, Stebo said:

36? That literally is not believable.

My cardiologist tells me I have a true elite athlete heart. A small percentage of athletes are able to get their resting heart rates into the 30s. It just means the heart is so strong that it can circulate blood to the body well by beating an unusually low amount of times. You can look it up ... some athletes do get resting heart rates into the 30s.

Just now, Malacka11 said:

That is frighteningly low. As a semi-elite athlete (I actually am pretty fast) I have yet to meet one runner with a heart rate below 40. Mine is actually around 60, it just doesn't increase as much as other people's heart rates under stress.

It probably explains why I can run very fast for long periods of time. My cardiologist says it's a true elite athlete heart. I'm very lucky. I do know a couple other runners that have heart rates in the 30s.

Just now, winterwx21 said:

It probably explains why I can run very fast for long periods of time. My cardiologist says it's a true elite athlete heart. I'm very lucky. I do know a couple other runners that have heart rates in the 30s.

I mean if you're actually a well trained distance runner then by all means, I retract my statement. I thought you exercised either just a little. My bad

2 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

I mean if you're actually a well trained distance runner then by all means, I retract my statement. I thought you exercised either just a little. My bad

No problem. Before I started running, my resting heart rate was 50. Lower than average, but not super low. Funny thing I was actually very worried about that. You go online and read about bradycardia being a resting heart rate under 60. I was having terrible panic attacks over it, so I went to the cardiologist. After examination he told me it was low because I have an extra strong heart, and told me I was probably one of those people that can get it into the 30s with an exercise program. He told me I should, so I did. The running ended the panic attack problem, thankfully. I like running 7 miles, so I'm running about quarter marathon distance.

• Like 1