Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

14 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

You're just jealous that we're not talking about South Paradise... I mean South Carolina.  Have y'all eradicated covid yet?

I was hoping certain people (there are two or three in particular) wouldn't discover this thread was here. Because these same folks helped ruin all the other coronavirus threads on here, smh  This is the last one standing! C'mon people...

You're just jealous that we're not talking about South Paradise... I mean South Carolina.  Have y'all eradicated covid yet?

I mean I can’t imagine anyone living in a Midwestern city knocking Charleston, SC. I literally do live in a paradise haha, it’s one of the top vacation and retirement places in America for a reason.

Do bring up a good point though. Why is spread so bad up in the Midwest? Honestly all these restrictions in the North, yet the spread is so much worse?

Personal opinion, it’s all private gatherings and work. The more you take away from public options, the more people resort to cookouts and movie nights with friends. Between that and the abundance of factories and distribution centers, it’s going to lead to higher spread
  • Weenie 1

I've been into bodybuilding and fitness for 6 years. Let myself go after getting married for a few years and decided to change that.

You actually don't need to work out at all to lose weight. Its a very simple equation. Calculate your maintenance calories to maintain your current weight and subtract however amount of calories you need to from that to start losing weight. It's calories in vs calories out.

This calculator will tell you how many calories you need to eat to maintain your current weight, lose weight, or gain weight.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/calorie-calculator/itt-20402304

Obviously exercise helps, but you honestly don't need it. Diet is by far the most important aspect of losing weight.

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

I've been into bodybuilding and fitness for 6 years. Let myself go after getting married for a few years and decided to change that.

You actually don't need to work out at all to lose weight. Its a very simple equation. Calculate your maintenance calories to maintain your current weight and subtract however amount of calories you need to from that to start losing weight. It's calories in vs calories out.

This calculator will tell you how many calories you need to eat to maintain your current weight, lose weight, or gain weight.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/calorie-calculator/itt-20402304

Obviously exercise helps, but you honestly don't need it. Diet is by far the most important aspect of losing weight.

Yep, portion size and exercise is the key to weight loss. Don't need any fads or nonsense.

• Like 1

What’s hard to understand here? 

Trying to be healthier and exercising more benefits both physically and mentally to combat the effects of covid. 

People simply have more time at home, and have been adjusting whether they work from home or not. 

There’s a lot of cases about people being bored at home and start day drinking. Being stressed etc. 

If one wants to bike ride more, get in tone more by doing push ups at home etc, AND it helps lower the chances of a bad covid fallout in ANY degree...

Its a win win. 

Yes, there’s people who don’t have time or the energy. True.

But there’s a lot that do. And it’s widely documented there’s a lot of people having difficulty finding what to do with themselves being at home always. 

Jumping to accuse people of fat shaming or calling them “middle class white dude” is uncalled for. And not “facts”.

Just now, Castaway said:

What’s hard to understand here? 

Trying to be healthier and exercising more benefits both physically and mentally to combat the effects of covid. 

People simply have more time at home, and have been adjusting whether they work from home or not. 

There’s a lot of cases about people being bored at home and start day drinking. Being stressed etc. 

If one wants to bike ride more, get in tone more by doing push ups at home etc, AND it helps lower the chances of a bad covid fallout in ANY degree...

Its a win win. 

Yes, there’s people who don’t have time or the energy. True.

But there’s a lot that do. And it’s widely documented there’s a lot of people having difficulty finding what to do with themselves being at home always. 

Jumping to accuse people of fat shaming or calling them “middle class white dude” is uncalled for. And not “facts”.

It is a stressful time, and people coming in gleefully saying just exercise come off as tone deaf. There are a lot of people who are struggling to stay upright right now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Kind of scary. A tight end for the bills. We don't know the side effects of Covid after it goes away fully. This is why I do not want to get covid. The possible long term effects, however rare they are.

Same issue that Eduardo Rodriguez had for the Red Sox. Not good :(

• Like 1

I know this was mentioned before. 

Doctors say CDC should warn people the side effects from Covid vaccine shots won't be 'a walk in the park'

PUBLISHED MON, NOV 23 2020 4:19 PM EST
UPDATED 4 HOURS AGO

Berkeley Lovelace Jr.
@BERKELEYJR
KEY POINTS 
  • The CDC must be transparent about the side effects people may experience after getting their first shot of a coronavirus vaccine, doctors urged during a meeting Monday with CDC advisors.
  • Dr. Sandra Fryhofer said that both Pfizer's and Moderna's Covid-19 vaccines require two doses and she worries whether her patients will come back for a second dose because of potentially unpleasant side effects after the first shot.
  • Both companies acknowledged that their vaccines could induce side effects that are similar to symptoms associated with mild Covid-19, such as muscle pain, chills and headache.

32 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Do bring up a good point though. Why is spread so bad up in the Midwest? Honestly all these restrictions in the North, yet the spread is so much worse?

Personal opinion, it’s all private gatherings and work. The more you take away from public options, the more people resort to cookouts and movie nights with friends. Between that and the abundance of factories and distribution centers, it’s going to lead to higher spread

climate has some factor in it. Midwest typically experiences worse flu seasons than other warmer places. At least here in michigan the % of active covid cases in hospitals compared to total hospitalizations has continued to decline even though the total number of current covid hospitalizations has increased

I also agree that most of the spread has been from work and private gatherings. would also add schools into that as well. shutting down restaurants, gyms, salons, etc isn't going to make much of a difference imo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RyanDe680 said:

I know this was mentioned before. 

Doctors say CDC should warn people the side effects from Covid vaccine shots won't be 'a walk in the park'

PUBLISHED MON, NOV 23 2020 4:19 PM EST
UPDATED 4 HOURS AGO

Berkeley Lovelace Jr.
@BERKELEYJR
KEY POINTS 
  • The CDC must be transparent about the side effects people may experience after getting their first shot of a coronavirus vaccine, doctors urged during a meeting Monday with CDC advisors.
  • Dr. Sandra Fryhofer said that both Pfizer's and Moderna's Covid-19 vaccines require two doses and she worries whether her patients will come back for a second dose because of potentially unpleasant side effects after the first shot.
  • Both companies acknowledged that their vaccines could induce side effects that are similar to symptoms associated with mild Covid-19, such as muscle pain, chills and headache.

I don't know how much of a problem this will be early on (when higher risk individuals are vaccinated), but if a healthy 25 year old goes to get vaccinated in spring and experiences some side effects, you have to wonder if some of them won't bother to return for round 2.

Just now, Hoosier said:

I don't know how much of a problem this will be early on (when higher risk individuals are vaccinated), but if a healthy 25 year old goes to get vaccinated in spring and experiences some side effects, you have to wonder if some of them won't bother to return for round 2.

I wonder if efficacy was measured with just one shot longer term. Obviously the booster helps or else it wouldn’t be part of it. 

at that point the ball is on the 20.  Gotta just do it. 

America is a land of excess.  It’s also a land of overworking.  These things lead to a lot of obesity and health problems.  It is simple to lose weight but it is not easy especially for someone who is poor or uneducated.   I lost 55 pounds since March but I have a lot of luxury and privilege that others don’t.  We need to be a healthier nation but that doesn’t mean we can’t try to take care of everyone with this current pandemic.  Also Charleston is cool but only from October through March

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Yeah universities are definitely big spreaders.

Indeed.  Some have done pretty well, but others not so much.  I have posted about Notre Dame a few times.  They are now at 12% of the university (staff + students) infected in the past 3 months.  That is a pretty bad percentage in that amount of time, especially because everybody should know by now what helps to slow the spread.  It is a little tough to make it stick in people that age though.  People may think so what, it's college kids and they're not as vulnerable, but the problem is it spreads out into the community.

50 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Indeed.  Some have done pretty well, but others not so much.  I have posted about Notre Dame a few times.  They are now at 12% of the university (staff + students) infected in the past 3 months.  That is a pretty bad percentage in that amount of time, especially because everybody should know by now what helps to slow the spread.  It is a little tough to make it stick in people that age though.  People may think so what, it's college kids and they're not as vulnerable, but the problem is it spreads out into the community.

Yep and colleges are filled with people who spread all over the country. Hell look at some of the biggest initial spreaders, spring breakers coming back from Florida to places like NYC Chicago Detroit.

4 hours ago, Stebo said:

Yep and colleges are filled with people who spread all over the country. Hell look at some of the biggest initial spreaders, spring breakers coming back from Florida to places like NYC Chicago Detroit.

And I have a feeling that will continue this cycle through thanksgiving with students coming home 

Just so much going on with Thanksgiving this week that has potential to aggravate the situation:

College kids coming home. Lots of travel. Significant among of large multi-family gatherings are still going to occur, which will often include older relatives. Also don't know how well stores will enforce capacity limits etc. for holiday shopping. 

9 hours ago, chances14 said:

climate has some factor in it. Midwest typically experiences worse flu seasons than other warmer places. At least here in michigan the % of active covid cases in hospitals compared to total hospitalizations has continued to decline even though the total number of current covid hospitalizations has increased

I also agree that most of the spread has been from work and private gatherings. would also add schools into that as well. shutting down restaurants, gyms, salons, etc isn't going to make much of a difference imo.

For sure. Two things that have been very interesting to me this Fall, no athlete has caught Covid from a game in the NFL or College which is interesting considering they're playing a contact sport. Secondly no one caught Covid from that field storming at Notre Dame. I'm shocked at both things

17 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

For sure. Two things that have been very interesting to me this Fall, no athlete has caught Covid from a game in the NFL or College which is interesting considering they're playing a contact sport. Secondly no one caught Covid from that field storming at Notre Dame. I'm shocked at both things

Both events are/were outdoors and generally involve brief periods of contact. A little bit different then sitting down for 45 minutes at a restaurant or a 3-4 hour indoor social gathering. Getting exposed to very small number of viral particles is not generally believed to cause an infection. Outdoor ventilation is generally very effective at diluting viral concentrations.

• Thanks 1