Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

15 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Lol. My marathon runner cousin was winded walking up steps five months after having covid and is continually having issue after issue with lungs. Dying is not the only deleterious aspect of covid.

There are always exceptions, and obviously your cousin is one unfortunately. But the overwhelming majority of healthy althletes that get Covid get mild symptoms or no symptoms at all. Look at all the baseball and football players that have tested positive. Almost all have had very mild symptoms or no symptoms. I am a runner with an elite athlete heart (resting heart rate of 36) and had Covid back in April. All I had was a scratchy throat, slight headache and small amount of congestion for 3 days. Doctor said being in great shape is what caused it to be so mild for me. You greatly increase the chance of being a very mild case by being in great shape, but of course there will always be some unlucky exceptions like your cousin. I hope he gets better very soon.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, winterwx21 said:

There are always exceptions, and obviously your cousin is one unfortunately. But the overwhelming majority of healthy althletes that get Covid get mild symptoms or no symptoms at all. Look at all the baseball and football players that have tested positive. Almost all have had very mild symptoms or no symptoms. I am a runner with an elite athlete heart (resting heart rate of 36) and had Covid back in April. All I had was a scratchy throat, slight headache and small amount of congestion for 3 days. Doctor said being in great shape is what caused it to be so mild for me. You greatly increase the chance of being a very mild case by being in great shape, but of course there will always be some unlucky exceptions like your cousin. I hope he gets better very soon.

I think your point is well taken from an individual risk standpoint. You could potentially reduce your risk a bit by losing a bit of weight and exercising. The idea that we can exercise our way out of a pandemic though seems pretty tough, though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

I think your point is well taken from an individual risk standpoint. You could potentially reduce your risk a bit by losing a bit of weight and exercising. The idea that we can exercise our way out of a pandemic though seems pretty tough, though. 

Yeah I don't think we could exercise our way out of the pandemic completely, but we could make the pandemic less severe if most people improved their health through exercise. Which is why I feel health authorities should be pushing the exercise point as much as they push the mask wearing/social distancing point, but unfortunately you don't hear them do that much. Unfortunately there are a lot of people that don't realize that you can reduce risk through an exercise program.

• Weenie 1

Of course you can shift the odds in your favor by maintaining a healthy weight and exercising, but to some extent it's still luck of the draw.  The long-hauler thing is still a little tough to firmly quantify, but I have read lots of stories of people in their 20s-40s who are at a healthy weight and are still having issues months after getting covid.  Again, hard to quantify but it's obviously not some 1 in a million thing.  Hopefully they fully recover in time.

• Like 2

Just now, winterwx21 said:

Yeah I don't think we could exercise our way out of the pandemic completely, but we could make the pandemic less severe if most people improved their health through exercise. Which is why I feel health authorities should be pushing the exercise point as much as they push the mask wearing/social distancing point, but unfortunately you don't hear them do that much. Unfortunately there are a lot of people that don't realize that you can reduce risk through an exercise program.

It's because it seems like a very circuitous way to get to your end goal. Scientist and health folks certainly know that being overweight leads to poor health outcomes in general, but you're going to get far more bang for your buck with social distancing, masking then you are with hoping that some people listen and get healthier. I don't believe obesity is as big of a problem in Europe as it is in US, but they're still having a hell of a time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, winterwx21 said:

The exact number for the US population being overweight is 72%. If you look at this study, 85% of hospitalized people under 50 were overweight compared to 54% of people over age 70. The number is much lower for older people because many older people have underlying health conditions that put them at higher risk, despite what their weight is. So the point of the study is that the protective benefit of being younger is lost if you're overweight or obese. But of course people can reduce their chance of having a severe problem with Covid even as they get older through an exercise program, which reduces underlying health conditions like hypertension and heart disease. The statistics are overwhelming in showing that most people that die from the virus have underlying health conditions, so eating healthy and exercising is critical to reduce the risk.

We've gone over it in this thread before but over 96% of individuals that have died from COVID had two or more pre-existing conditions. The interesting thing I heard from a doctor at the Cleveland Clinic is that obesity and hypertension seem to be the worst with COVID--- he indicated that smokers have better outcomes when dealing with COVID. 

Basically all of the mid-upper plains and MN, WI, IL, MI are showing signs of a short term decline in case load now, though hospitalizations is still rising a bit in IL, MI & MN. Most states outside of that group are still showing increases. May get a bit of decline followed by an undulating plateau with case numbers with numbers impacted by things like states limiting transmission vectors and events like Thanksgiving. Partial herd immunity will be becoming a factor in some states as well

3 hours ago, winterwx21 said:

The exact number for the US population being overweight is 72%. If you look at this study, 85% of hospitalized people under 50 were overweight compared to 54% of people over age 70. The number is much lower for older people because many older people have underlying health conditions that put them at higher risk, despite what their weight is. So the point of the study is that the protective benefit of being younger is lost if you're overweight or obese. But of course people can reduce their chance of having a severe problem with Covid even as they get older through an exercise program, which reduces underlying health conditions like hypertension and heart disease. The statistics are overwhelming in showing that most people that die from the virus have underlying health conditions, so eating healthy and exercising is critical to reduce the risk.

unfortunately, eating healthy and having enough time to exercise is a privilege in this country, thanks largely to capitalism. helps explain why people of color have suffered the most this year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RyanDe680 said:

Anyone know if you are tested positive for Covid out of state, does it count toward that state or residency state?  Wondering how that effects Thanksgiving travel, if any.

Hawaii reports residents who are positive out of state to their total. Logistically, not sure the mechanisms towards how that gets communicated to the various state health departments and if there are consistent policies in different states.

3 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

unfortunately, eating healthy and having enough time to exercise is a privilege in this country, thanks largely to capitalism. helps explain why people of color have suffered the most this year.

No wonder why COVID has preyed on this country so much.  None of our politicians seem to have the chutzpah to rein in the junk food industry, and the false narrative of "personal choice" (look up "food deserts") continues to be an issue.  As much as I hate to say it, our country was primed for a pandemic that would come in, spread, and take advantage of the large number of people who are overweight or obese.

Our healthcare system was apparently designed to deal with acute illnesses, and fails miserably at the treatment and prevention of certain chronic illnesses ("pre-existing conditions") that can contribute to severe cases of COVID.  Preventing things like this in the future might require a full-on "War on Obesity," and politicians (and others) will have to make many hard decisions (and challenge the powerful junk-food lobby) should they follow this path.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wxtrix said:

not exercising doesn't spread the disease.

not wearing masks and not social distancing do.

this is a spurious comparison that makes no sense.

I'm talking about things that should be done to not have as bad of a pandemic. If most people were normal weight and in good shape, there would be much less hospitalizations and deaths. Of course mask wearing and social distancing results in much less hospitalizations and deaths. Yes they are very different approaches, but both work well. Both should be preached.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

Agree and disagree.  I'd say eating healthy is a privilege, but exercising not as much.  You don't need to set aside hours a day to benefit from exercise, and you don't even need equipment.  There is the saying that "you can't outtrain a bad diet," and calories add up quickly if you're living on junk/fast food, which can certainly make staying in shape more difficult, but not impossible.  

Considering that a lot of people could stand to lose 50-100 pounds, it's more of a longer term/general health goal and not something that going to help much in this current round of covid.

Man do you even remember college? I used to exercise all the time and was broke as hell haha.

http:// https://www.foxnews.com/us/pennsylvania-governor-covid-masks-worn-indoors-requires-bans-alcohol-thanksgiving

What’s next, banning the sale of condoms to try and prevent people from coming within 6 feet from each other

I feel like the exact people who could benefit the most from exercise (both mentally and physically) are exactly those who have much more important day-to-day tasks to worry about. I can't imagine pretty much anyone working in a Walmart, McDonald's, Amazon warehouse, etc. to have any desire to exercise after working 40+ hours a week when they have a family to care for and a house to keep running. Sure, they could certainly get a couple minutes of walking or jogging in there if they absolutely prioritized it, but who in their right mind would want to prioritize exercise after standing around all day and having a billion things to take care of at home too?

That's probably another reason why it would be a total shit show if someone were to get up and tell everyone that they need to exercise to improve their chances with Covid; it's definitely gonna rub people the wrong way (especially those for whom it would be very difficult to remain physically active) for the government to get up their and go "haha go for a run lol fatass" when they can't even provide us with masks to keep us from projectile-drooling on each other. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Agree and disagree.  I'd say eating healthy is a privilege, but exercising not as much.  You don't need to set aside hours a day to benefit from exercise, and you don't even need equipment.  There is the saying that "you can't outtrain a bad diet," and calories add up quickly if you're living on junk/fast food, which can certainly make staying in shape more difficult, but not impossible.  

Considering that a lot of people could stand to lose 50-100 pounds, it's more of a longer term/general health goal and not something that going to help much in this current round of covid.

This is true.

Exercise is something simple as going for a daily walk for 20 minutes or what I have done over the last 6 months is run more.  All it takes is a pair of shoes.

48 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Exactly. I run around the block for about an hour, at a brisk 8 to 9 minute per mile pace, 5 days a week. 5 hours of exercise out of an entire week doesn't seem like that much, and it's enough that it has enormous health benefits. It caused me to lose 30 pounds and keep it off, and my resting heart rate is down to 36 which is elite athlete level. Blood pressure is nice and low. You really don't need much to get into great shape. Just a decent pair of running shoes and several hours a week.

Very true that you can't outrun a bad diet, but running does allow you to cheat a little more. You can eat some junkfood, as long as you keep up the exercise and eat healthy most of the time. I usually eat completely healthy (lean fish/chicken and lots of vegetables) 5 days a week, and the other 2 days I allow myself to have some junkfood (maybe a donut with brunch, pizza or cheeseburger for dinner or cake for dessert). My weight stays at 135 pounds because I'm burning so many calories with the running. The running that I do burns about 4000 calories a week, so it allows me to enjoy some unhealthy foods a couple days a week. I know it's unrealistic to expect people to eat healthy ALL the time, so exercise is very important to strike a balance.

58 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

I feel like the exact people who could benefit the most from exercise (both mentally and physically) are exactly those who have much more important day-to-day tasks to worry about. I can't imagine pretty much anyone working in a Walmart, McDonald's, Amazon warehouse, etc. to have any desire to exercise after working 40+ hours a week when they have a family to care for and a house to keep running. Sure, they could certainly get a couple minutes of walking or jogging in there if they absolutely prioritized it, but who in their right mind would want to prioritize exercise after standing around all day and having a billion things to take care of at home too?

That's probably another reason why it would be a total shit show if someone were to get up and tell everyone that they need to exercise to improve their chances with Covid; it's definitely gonna rub people the wrong way (especially those for whom it would be very difficult to remain physically active) for the government to get up their and go "haha go for a run lol fatass" when they can't even provide us with masks to keep us from projectile-drooling on each other. 

I think most people can squeeze in 4 or 5 hours a week for exercise, especially since it's SO important for health. George W. Bush told them he HAD to have an hour for exercise every day. I think if the President of The United States can find enough time for exercise, most people should be able to. And I would think many people would want to prioritize it since it is proven to extend life. We know that people that exercise regularly live longer than people that don't. I would think most people would rather live to 85 than drop dead of a heart attack at 60. Squeezing in those exercise hours is worth it.

4 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

I think most people can squeeze in 4 or 5 hours a week for exercise, especially since it's SO important for health. George W. Bush told them he HAD to have an hour for exercise every day. I think if the President of The United States can find enough time for exercise, most people should be able to. And I would think many people would want to prioritize it since it is proven to extend life. We know that people that exercise regularly live longer than people that don't. I would think most people would rather live to 85 than drop dead of a heart attack at 60. Squeezing in those exercise hours is worth it.

Even setting aside 2 hours per week can result in a lot of benefits, especially if you also have a job that requires you to be on your feet a lot.  That is a lot of time spent moving around.

Anyway, isn't this the covid thread?