• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

Might stay under 200k hopefully. Case growth has definitely slowed, especially in Illinois, Wisconsin, and a couple of plains states. Wisconsin has seen cases, positivity rate and hospitalizations drop a bit so might be having a bit of a peak there (for now). Test accessibility might be keeping numbers down a bit at this point in a few places though.

5 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

No. I didnt say any of that. I'm questioning why he's responsible for every single nursing home death in his state while I never hear a damn thing about any other governor and their responsibility for nursing home deaths. 

NY was hit harder than any of other state early. Nursing home deaths are proportional to community transmission. 

You simply don't discharge COVID positive elderly people back into nursing homes unless the hospitals were overrun with patients. (They weren't) He changed his stance in May about that. For me it was common sense.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/10/hospitals-cant-discharge-coronavirus-patients-to-nursing-homes-cuomo/

https://nypost.com/2020/10/02/it-never-happened-gov-cuomo-denies-causing-nursing-home-deaths/

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

You simply don't discharge COVID positive elderly people back into nursing homes unless the hospitals were overrun with patients. He changed his stance in May about that. For me it was common sense.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/10/hospitals-cant-discharge-coronavirus-patients-to-nursing-homes-cuomo/

https://nypost.com/2020/10/02/it-never-happened-gov-cuomo-denies-causing-nursing-home-deaths/

In April the hospitals were overrun in NY...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stebo said:

In April the hospitals were overrun in NY...

Go look at the data, only NYC was. This was a statewide order. March, April, until May 10th I believe he was sending Covid positive elderly ones from hospitals back to nursing homes. They could have used the ship to isolate these ones and provide them with exemplary care. The ship wasn't even used.

Go look at the data, only NYC was. This was a statewide order. March, April, until May 10th I believe he was sending Covid positive elderly ones from hospitals back to nursing homes.

It was an emergency order and no one knew how much it would spread. Hindsight is always 20/20, but at the time he saw what was happening in NYC and went statewide because it could have spread that much.  It is same for many other states.

• Like 1

It was an emergency order and no one knew how much it would spread. Hindsight is always 20/20, but at the time he saw what was happening in NYC and went statewide because it could have spread that much.  It is same for many other states.

I agree, but you don't write a book on how to successfully deal with a pandemic and give yourself a massive raise while everyone is living on $200 UI a week. Leaves a terrible taste in my mouth. Its on the nations best sellers, I believe top 10...

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coronavirus/new-york-hospitals-sent-6300-recovering-covid-patients-to-nursing-homes/2502812/

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I agree, but you don't write a book on how to successfully deal with a pandemic, give yourself a massive raise while everyone is living on $200 UI a week. Leaves a terrible taste in my mouth. Its on the nations best sellers, I believe top 10...

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coronavirus/new-york-hospitals-sent-6300-recovering-covid-patients-to-nursing-homes/2502812/

The book is tacky as hell, the pay increase is more than like done by state congress, I highly doubt the governor gives himself a raise.

• Like 1

The book is tacky as hell, the pay increase is more than like done by state congress, I highly doubt the governor gives himself a raise.

I have loads of friends who are corrections officers. They had a contract through the state for a pay raise this year that got delayed/denied. Cuomo is the highest paid governor in the country already. He is getting a raise of $25k in January.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cuomo-pay-raise-2021

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

I'm noticing colder weather starting to be modeled. This could play a role in December's #s along with Thanksgiving. Yes we're screwed

It is quite possible the warm weather a couple of weeks ago is helping to stabilize the numbers a bit (more people outdoors). but colder weather+Thanksgiving is a major issue.

• Like 2

I have loads of friends who are corrections officers. They had a contract through the state for a pay raise this year that got delayed/denied. Cuomo is the highest paid governor in the country already. He is getting a raise of $25k in January.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cuomo-pay-raise-2021

Directly from your story...

But amid the struggles of New York and other states, Cuomo's salary is still set to increase from $225,000 in 2020 to $250,000 in 2021. That is the result of a pre-panedmic resolution passed by the legislature, which noted the New York governor and the lieutenant governor had each made the same salary since 1999. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Directly from your story...

But amid the struggles of New York and other states, Cuomo's salary is still set to increase from $225,000 in 2020 to $250,000 in 2021. That is the result of a pre-panedmic resolution passed by the legislature, which noted the New York governor and the lieutenant governor had each made the same salary since 1999. 

My point still stands. He's the highest paid governor in the country while people are getting paid $200 a week UI. He receives a raise while those working in the prisons got theirs declined, despite having a contract in place with the state.

• Weenie 3

22 minutes ago, NEILwxbo said:

My theory behind the cases seeming to plateau in IL is a combination of the warm spell we had a few weeks ago & maybe coming close to a (temporary?) testing ceiling. Would guess numbers might start going up more next week & beyond. Maybe I’m wrong, just a hunch. 

The testing ceiling is a big factor for sure.

6 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Federal Government doesn't want to do what they know needs to be done. They are willing to let hundreds of thousands die for the almighty dollar. Just pathetically tragic and sad

Every family has skeleton's in the closet, and so does every country.  It's a fallen world

1 minute ago, Frog Town said:

Every family has skeleton's in the closet, and so does every country.  It's a fallen world

I don't let the gross negligence of the last 4 years and more specifically this last year dictate this country's value. We should however use this to show what not to do ever again.

• Like 4

I just feel so angry at this time.  And I do what therapists advise, such as pounding a pillow, yelling for a designated amount of minutes, taking a brisk walk.  I also feel frustrated, particularly when I skype or talk with extended family members that still say the virus is no worse than the flu and direct me to a number of fake news websites to prove their point.  The failure of political leadership to help ease a transition which could save many lives is also depressing.  What has happened in this country to make people so gullible and suspicious of science and facts?  Psychologists tell us that when we challenge a person's previously held worldview we are dealing with the fulcrum of the human mind and we seek out people and sites that will reinforce our prior assumptions.  Copernicus, Galileo, Darwin and Freud brought us new revelations about the universe and ourselves.  There are some who still think we never sent astronauts to the moon.  I've had both a scientific and theological background in my professional training and I respect insights from both fields of knowledge. But it grieves and angers me particularly wrt this pandemic that people cannot take a clue from the "greatest generation" who willingly sent their sons and daughters off to war and faced rationing of food, fuel, and other materials for the common good of the nation in a patriotic effort, and so many of us say this pandemic is not as severe as we think and quibble about wearing masks.

• Like 6