Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

1 hour ago, RyanDe680 said:

Do you need to go back for another?  

My wife had a potential exposure - test took 3.5 days to come back as well, somewhat ridiculous as I'm sure the labs are swamped. 

No I don't, I would have if I was symptomatic and it came back as negative.

18 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I read the summaries or even occasionally watch the weekly covid briefings by the governor and health officials, and I gotta say the tone of today's briefing sounded like the ones back in spring.

The health commissioner used the words exponential growth.  There's a lot of concern about hospitals being able to handle the increasing numbers and increasing fatigue and illnesses among hospital workers.  Testing is also becoming an issue with supply and long wait times, and in some areas you can now only get tested if you have symptoms.  They also encouraged students returning home from college to stay home as much as possible and wear a mask inside, even at home. 

I have been reading about the testing issues, which is another reason I expect case growth many slow. Which makes it more important to watch positivity rates and hospitalizations. Been seeing multiple reports about the major stress/overwork, etc. among health care workers as well. People just focus on the deaths. But all these hospitalizations are really taking their toll on HC workers and patients. These patients often have long hospital stays where they require constant care from multiple nurses/staff working long hours in full PPE. Plus the effects of seeing patients die alone on a consistent basis. This is one fact has seems to get lost on people who push the "it only kills those in nursing homes" line.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

A neighbor, who used to live across the street from my dad when he was growing up, died from covid.  Didn't really know her and only met her one time -- when she came to my dad's funeral several years ago.  Still, it's the first person taken by this virus that is not a completely unknown name to me.

• Like 2

Concerning an earlier discussion about the logistics of moving quantities of the vaccine  at -95°, I spoke with the local health department today and it is going to be a problem, as there is already a shortage of dry ice.

Also, their latest projections are for the Pfizer vaccines to be available to healthcare workers by late December and long-term care facilities either then or shortly after. Locally, these will be administered by local hospitals, IF they can get resources needed to keep the vaccine at the needed temperature. Hopes are that the Moderna vaccine will be approved and it will be made available to the general population after the front line workers and high risk are inoculated. After that occurs, local health departments (at least in this area) will set up points of distribution for mass inoculations, based on availability.  Very detailed plans are already being put together for this event.

All of that being said, it is being planned with the anticipation that the vaccines will be approved for release and that no hiccups occur.

EDIT: Oh, and I spoke with the local hospital's safety director and all of this regional hospital's facilities are basically full. There are still ICU beds available, but the general population beds are  packed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Meanwhile our commander and chief is on Twitter 

It’s just very sad, my mom was in tears she runs benefits for whole hospital system and doctors are coming in on no sleep and completely emotionally shot. It’s literally terrible and trying to make room to take more people.

• Sad 2

17 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

It’s just very sad, my mom was in tears she runs benefits for whole hospital system and doctors are coming in on no sleep and completely emotionally shot. It’s literally terrible and trying to make room to take more people.

America can't take too much more of this. Something is going to have to give 

5 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Texas is looking like New York with theses numbers. This is getting very ugly 

My fiancée's father lives in San Antonio. He's in his 70s with multiple health issues (diabetes, kidney dialysis) Part of our reasoning for postponing our wedding (which should have happened this month) was to avoid potential exposure to him and other high-risk people in the family so they can be around when we have it next year. :yikes:

• Like 3

https://mtstandard.com/news/local/as-virus-cases-flood-system-b-sb-says-stay-home-dont-get-tested/article_8ba0af74-2207-528c-a787-30658e2e8cbe.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

A few places are now telling people with mild symptoms not to get tested or not giving tests to those without symptoms unless there is contact with a confirmed positive.

Issues with capacity/staffing at hospitals are showing up in many states now. System is getting strained.

11 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

My fiancée's father lives in San Antonio. He's in his 70s with multiple health issues (diabetes, kidney dialysis) Part of our reasoning for postponing our wedding (which should have happened this month) was to avoid potential exposure to him and other high-risk people in the family so they can be around when we have it next year. :yikes:

Hey that's really considerate of you guys ngl. Congrats on your upcoming marriage!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dan11295 said:

https://mtstandard.com/news/local/as-virus-cases-flood-system-b-sb-says-stay-home-dont-get-tested/article_8ba0af74-2207-528c-a787-30658e2e8cbe.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

A few places are now telling people with mild symptoms not to get tested or not giving tests to those without symptoms unless there is contact with a confirmed positive.

Issues with capacity/staffing at hospitals are showing up in many states now. System is getting strained.

That's why it will be important to montior how many tests are performed each day and not just focusing on case numbers.  Also important to monitor hospitalization numbers of course, but I wonder if even that could start to become a bit of an unreliable metric in areas that are out of space... like would borderline hospital cases start getting turned away?