• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

Deaths right now are basically even with the peak of the summer wave and about to surpass.  Unfortunately with the rapidly growing numbers as of late, we know where this is heading.  

In the spring we had days with over 2k deaths, but not 3k (unless it was a 1 day dump).  I fear we are headed for some days of 3k this winter if we don't turn this around soon.  

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, bl5585 said:

Plus you don't have to take off a mask to grocery shop. At a minimum people will take off their masks to eat for Thanksgiving.

Just like going to a restaurant? Somehow the risk magically goes away when I sit down? Now I can “take my mask off”? Meanwhile, I got the sick cook cooking my plate, the sick bartender making me a drink, just to have the sick waitress/waiter hand me my food and drink? Same applies when I’m at the grocery store. Sick individual, decides they don’t want the crappy stuffing anymore and puts it back on the shelve. I proceed to touch and purchase said crappy stuffing.Only to have the guy behind me coughing and not wearing a mask. Guess what, I’m now infected.  Is that a lot of “what if’s” sure it is, but don’t think the mask is the end all be all.? So what’s the plan? Hotdog or a laughing face? That should suffice. 

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

4 minutes ago, Cincy12 said:

Just like going to a restaurant? Somehow the risk magically goes away when I sit down? Now I can “take my mask off”?

Did you maybe read that out of context? I wasn't saying that at all and was just adding to StormfanaticInd's point. I think that eating with anyone that isn't in your household is an unnecessary risk no matter what the setting is.

I'm also not saying that grocery stores are perfect but people need to get food somehow. If people reasonably follow the guidelines it does reduce the risk considerably.

I think at this point we know certain situations result in higher risk of both transmission and super spreader events. being indoors, not wearing a mask, not having good indoor ventilation when indoors, and amount of time spent indoors/in proximity to someone exposed are all factors.  This is why an outdoor protest where high percentage wear masks results in much lower transmission then sitting down and eating at a restaurant and casual indoor social gatherings. A short trip to the grocery store assuming all wear masks (they do here  in Mass.) has fairly minimal risk IMHO. I am only in there 15-20 minutes if I know what I am buying when I go in. Duration of potential exposure is important.

9 hours ago, mississaugasnow said:

I can't wait to post that I got an 18" storm when the airport and others around me say only 6" fell. Not my problem I measured in a drift and since we've all given up on facts it would be a fact that my measurement is correct. But please don't ask me to go measure the bare ground beside the snow drift, that's fake news. 

Perception is reality. And with social media you can express your perceptions to alot of people

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Angrysummons said:

dta, I get it. You want special rights, enforced by the government to ignore weakening health care system. Classic elitism. Its called a public heath emergency. Deal with it. Respect your tribe. Its like affirmative action lovers demanding their individual needs to be met due to the awful racists who won't let their individual persons "succeed". Its why Democrats sucked down ballet(but if it gets rid of Pelosi and Chucky the loser, good for that party) in the 2020 election despite a widespread anti-Trump vote.

Looking for special rights is bad. Is shows preference for crass individual theory over Indo-European tribal traditions.

Atlas is a Anti-American Lukudist. Of course he wants us to get sicker.

I love lukudist. Seasoned dried white fish served with a side of pancakes at my favorite Swedish restaurant.lol

• Haha 1

I think nearly all of the additional transmission this fall can be attributed to decreasing humidity. The measures that kept R near 1 during much of the summer don't do that now. Theres been little difference in mobility or in mask use over the past month. If we want to reduce transmission, there needs to be more done now than in the summer. Chance are things get worse before they better. 

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.11.13.20231472v1

Screenshot_20201117-100535_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Screenshot_20201117-100421_Chrome.jpg

jTzY6kmsSM.png

jnhqQZBzWp.png

AugxbTZXWl.png

9uOzSLCgFs.png

rGyvgHgnBE.png

rslN4JqUtp.png

5DhANxRpOX.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Deaths right now are basically even with the peak of the summer wave and about to surpass.  Unfortunately with the rapidly growing numbers as of late, we know where this is heading.  

In the spring we had days with over 2k deaths, but not 3k (unless it was a 1 day dump).  I fear we are headed for some days of 3k this winter if we don't turn this around soon.  

Yeah, as we move into December daily numbers going back to 2k+ is basically baked into the system based on the current case load and known CFR which has not changed much since August. Until the numbers start to stabilize how much is baked into the system will continue to increase.

Hopefully stuff like that the Antibody treatment just approved and currently being sent to states will be able to bring the CFR down a bit more going forward if it does reduce hospitalizations/mortality. But limited supply and you need a system get it to high risk positive individuals soon after infection (this part is a bit tricky as this is for early in course of infection NOT when you already need to go to the hospital).  

But if hospitals get further strained as they already are in many places, standard of care gets reduced and CFR goes up.

8 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I would be shocked if deaths go above what they did in April due to far better treatment and therapeutics. 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I would be shocked if deaths go above what they did in April due to far better treatment and therapeutics. 

I’d be surprised too, but also we may run way past the number of infections from the spring depending on how the next few weeks go, hard to know though with the limited testing occurring in the spring. 

10 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

I’d be surprised too, but also we may run way past the number of infections from the spring depending on how the next few weeks go, hard to know though with the limited testing occurring in the spring. 

I wouldn't. In fact I think they will. Transmission peaked on June 20th for the summer wave. Deaths, hospitalizations, and icu numbers basicallu doubled from that time until late July. We could stop transmission now and we would still go to 150k hospitalizations and over 2000 deaths per day in December. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

I wouldn't. In fact I think they will. Transmission peaked on June 20th for the summer wave. Deaths, hospitalizations, and icu numbers basicallu doubled from that time until late July. We could stop transmission now and we would still go to 150k hospitalizations and over 2000 deaths per day in December. 

Ugh yeah, what a mess.  Really a shame were at this point. 

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Canada is getting worse at this point too. We started at a lower baseline per capita but the exponential growth is substantial. 

You brought up the dropping humidity. From looking at case numbers in different states it is clear that temperatures are not the only factor. Sure colder weather draws more people indoors, but it doesn't explain the rise in transmission in places like Florida or southern California very well.  

Believe it or not the exact triggers for increased transmission or seasonal respiratory viruses isn't known very well, although it is probably a combination of things come climatic and physiological.

23 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The Tuesday death dump rears its head.  84 confirmed plus 5 probable for Indiana.

Overall case growth in many states, including Indiana started to accelerate more rapidly about 3 weeks ago (roughly the time lag between case and death reporting). 

4 & 5 weeks ago U.S. cases went up by ~7000 over the 7-day report. 3 weeks ago it rose to 17,000. 2 Weeks ago 33,000. Last week 40,000.

6 minutes ago, outflow said:

Michigan restaurant and loggging association is suing the state over the new ban on indoor dining

https://www.record-eagle.com/state/restaurants-sue-to-try-to-stop-new-whitmer-ban-on-dining/article_456b9290-2224-536d-867b-d370ece67fe2.html

As they should. There is no PPP this go around. There are several restaurants that went out of business already this year around my area. This is their livelihoods. Really easy to say shut everything down when you have a steady government paycheck coming in. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

As they should. There is no PPP this go around. There are several restaurants that went out of business already this year around my area. This is their livelihoods. Really easy to say shut everything down when you have a steady government paycheck coming in. 

Seems like there should be so governments tax payers, and businesses don't have to choose between sickness and death or financial ruin. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Seems like there should be so governments tax payers, and businesses don't have to choose between sickness and death or financial ruin. 

I agree but the current admin has completely checked out. Go look at Mitchs and Trumps twitter. Even when Jan 20th comes there is virtually no hope for the American people of any stimulus package going through. 

• Like 2