Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

Just now, dta1984 said:

Who in the hell is anti vax?   I posted a comment that it would be hard to convince that group to take a vaccine... Attitudes like yours keep the anti vax/mask the way they are. 

I am in the wait and see group with the vax.  Not rushing to sign up for it quite yet, but interested to hear more on it. 

326.gif

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Lol. Good to know that its okay to be anti vax or anti mask as long as you're nice. This board is so ****ing stupid. 

Namecalling and personal insults don't accomplish anything.  All you can do is present information to the "anti people" and hope they change their minds.

The earlier episode about Pfizer actually turned into an enlightening discussion about vaccines.  I knew next to nothing about vaccine minutiae and I learned some stuff from the links that were posted.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Based on opinion polls, there's a lot of skepticism about the covid vaccine, but I wonder how the news about 90%+ efficacy could affect people's calculations.  There's many factors though, like somebody's stance on vaccines overall, age/vulnerability, whether they know someone who has become seriously ill or died from covid, etc.

Or if your name is angrysummons

The federal government is spending hundreds of billions of dollars on Covid health care expenses (especially hospitalizations).  If we have vaccines that are proven safe and effective, then anyone who chooses not to get a vaccine should sign a waiver.  Basically, the waiver will state that, if they opted out of getting vaccinated, then if they become hospitalized due to Covid, not a single federal dollar will go towards their care (e.g. Medicare, Medicaid, VA, and any insurane on the ACA exchanges).  Private insurance companies can do whatever they want, but I suspet even they'll push their enrollees to get vaccinated.  Hospitalizations are expensive.  The hospitalization rate for Covid is about 10% (higher if you're elderly) and is a massive taxpayer expense.  I certainly don't want my taxpayer dollars subsidizing the consequence of people's stupid decisions.

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Namecalling and personal insults don't accomplish anything.  All you can do is present information to the "anti people" and hope they change their minds.

The earlier episode about Pfizer actually turned into an enlightening discussion about vaccines.  I knew next to nothing about vaccine minutiae and I learned some stuff from the links that were posted.

Wtf does letting me Angrysummons spew his anti vax nuttiness accomplish here? Take your green tag and shove it up your ****ing ass. Because its worthless.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, dta1984 said:

Umm because you don't agree with someone doesn't mean you attack them. 

This is not policy or political disagreement. Were talking about basic science and conspiracy theories. I reserve the right to call someone for being anti mask and anti vax. I mean were in the middle of a pandemic. These ideas kill people. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, WestMichigan said:

At the risk of being a little political and definitely putting on the body armor for the flames coming my way.

Below are a couple of comments from various articles I read earlier today.

• Ben Franklin stated, “Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”
  • Just because something is a good idea does NOT mean that the government has the right or authority to ORDER it. Our system of government is based on the presumption that adult citizens have the right to make their own decisions, for good or ill. Freedom includes the freedom to act foolishly.

Good stuff

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Wtf does letting me Angrysummons spew his anti vax nuttiness accomplish here? Take your green tag and shove it up your ****ing ass. Because its worthless.

Look at my response to his posts, I may not be able to convince him to provide any evidence to support his baseless claims but I can provide useful links from reputable sources to hopefully allow others to read and make their own judgements.

As a medical provider the widespread misinformation is very frustrating and draining, I entered the profession to help people and prevent disability and death whenever possible but I also don't want to go around calling people names because they are misinformed. There's only so much you can do, but I do agree it's very frustrating at times.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WaryWarren said:

My brother is intellectually disabled and has no issues with wearing a mask. Same goes for the other residents at his facility. Interpret that as you wish.

Wtf ?  That term is derogatory.   I am not giving issue to anything to do with masks.  

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

Look at my response to his posts, I may not be able to convince him to provide any evidence to support his baseless claims but I can provide useful links from reputable sources to hopefully allow others to read and make their own judgements.

As a medical provider the widespread misinformation is very frustrating and draining, I entered the profession to help people and prevent disability and death whenever possible but I also don't want to go around calling people names because they are misinformed. There's only so much you can do, but I do agree it's very frustrating at times.

You have far more patience than I do. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

We have been around him for years, you are talking to a wall. 

12 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Look, nobody is forcing you to be in this thread if you don't like how it is run.  You are a valuable contributor so I hope you'll stay.  I am usually pretty hands off and let the discussion flow as long as it is reasonably on topic.  We had a poster questioning one particular vaccine, not all vaccines, which is not a typical anti-vaxxer stance.  I think the pushback was good and informative.  

• Like 2

Guest ovweather
53 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Lol. Good to know that its okay to be anti vax or anti mask as long as you're nice. This board is so ****ing stupid. 

I hear there’s this board / social media site called Parler where everyone is supposably very nice and logical. I’m sure there’s some awesome Covid discussions there. :axe:

It is mind numbing to me how many people are on this, a ****ing science based board, and refuse to believe or accept science because it somehow runs against their "beliefs" or "freedoms".

We look at mathematical simulations of potential atmospheric conditions, the absolute pinnacle of our current understanding of atmospheric physics, daily. Yet we have people like angrysummons who thinks that a RNA/DNA based vaccine is somehow going to modify the genetic programming of the recipient...

Healthy discourse is one thing. Present your facts and we can have a conversation. There is no place for half baked, ignorant, or flatly stupid conspiracy theories on a science board. 

The individual liberties "anti-masker" argument is garbage as well. I have the right to carry a firearm, but I am required to use it in a safe manner and will be held accountable should I fail in that purpose. You have the right to move freely as you wish, but it you are too ****ing lazy, ignorant, or "woke" to wear a mask and you cause harm to others, you too should be held accountable. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dta1984 said:

Good stuff

I find that aspect of republicanism interesting. If you follow that belief to the end point you end at libertarianism. How come a vast majority of Republicans force anti-abortion legislation, drug legislation, marriage legislation, religion in school ect.. If you believe the government has no right in an individual's life than how come they have problem with those? At least libertarians acknowledge to the most part that since they believe in little to no government  (like some have mentioned on this board) they find it hypocritical to enforce with laws aspects of society they don't agree with (see above) 

Don't want to wear a mask cool, then keep your hypocritical mouth shut protesting that government needs to enact laws restricting other peoples rights because it makes you feel uneasy. (this wasn't in reference to anyone here, just in general)