Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

Guest ovweather
21 minutes ago, Inverted_Trough said:

I had a tetanus booster shot recently and I felt ill for a couple days and my shoulder hurt like hell.  Doesn't mean I wouldn't get the shot again in ten years.

Anti-vaxxers are dumb.

Tetanus shot is notorious for a sore shoulder (at sight of injection). Ironically, I got a tetanus booster shot recently and experienced very little shoulder pain, but after the flu shot this year my shoulder was pretty sore (I normally experience little soreness after a flu vaccine). It’s fascinating how everyone reacts differently.

Out of all the years I gotten a flu vaccine, the only time I felt ill (chills, body aches) afterwards was when I got a flu and pneumonia shot at the same time, but even then the symptoms lasted less than a day.

regular checks and paying people to stay home has always been the answer

Haha so which government programs should we take away to pay people for awhile.

As someone in my 20s I’m part of the generation who will have to deal with this crushing federal debt for much longer. Do we have to sacrifice social security until 75 because of this? Pull all road repairs for the next year nationally? Considerably raise taxes?

I’m absolutely tired of reading statements from the Treasury, media and politicians about how more stimulus is needed. Of course it’s a solution, but what are the repercussions of doing so? No one is really discussing this
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 5

1 hour ago, South Shore Slop said:

The decline in the number of positives match the decline in testing almost exactly. I suppose if your in lockdown, there is no need to go out for a test if you are only mildly sick...

image.png.857df2255cad26500b31ab1638afb06f.png

If there is more disease in the community, the demand for testing goes up.  The converse is also true.  We saw this in the South during the summer.  The demand for testing skyrocketed in late May and June, which was a precursor to the summer wave down there.  In July and August, demand for testing rapidly went down.  Test sites were often empty.  This was because there were fewer sick people who were seeking out tests, i.e. less disease in the community.

5 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

I’m absolutely tired of reading statements from the Treasury, media and politicians about how more stimulus is needed. Of course it’s a solution, but what are the repercussions of doing so? No one is really discussing this

Nobody cares about the debt anymore.  Certainly not Republicans.  Neoliberalism and free market fundamentalism is dead.  Populism and big government is the wave of the future - in both parties.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

38 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Haha so which government programs should we take away to pay people for awhile.

As someone in my 20s I’m part of the generation who will have to deal with this crushing federal debt for much longer. Do we have to sacrifice social security until 75 because of this? Pull all road repairs for the next year nationally? Considerably raise taxes?

The last several months have confirmed most of this country values capitalism over lives/quality of life, they’d rather save the stock market than give people another check 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, OSUmetstud said:

The choice isn't vaccination or nothing. Its vaccination or covid. We know covid kills. We know covid is debilitating. It's a pretty simple choice and risk assessment...after this going through the approval process. 

Based on opinion polls, there's a lot of skepticism about the covid vaccine, but I wonder how the news about 90%+ efficacy could affect people's calculations.  There's many factors though, like somebody's stance on vaccines overall, age/vulnerability, whether they know someone who has become seriously ill or died from covid, etc.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NEILwxbo said:

The last several months have confirmed most of this country values capitalism over lives/quality of life, they’d rather save the stock market than give people another check 

I think most of the country overwhelmingly supports another stimulus package, but the issue is the Senate.  Their priority lately is preserving power (filling vacant court seat, January runoff elections in GA) rather than passing something that helps people.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, OSUmetstud said:

The choice isn't vaccination or nothing. Its vaccination or covid. We know covid kills. We know covid is debilitating. It's a pretty simple choice and risk assessment...after this going through the approval process. 

Maybe to you, but there are alot of skeptics that won't trust it. They will say 98.whatever % recover from covid. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

Guest ovweather
25 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Based on opinion polls, there's a lot of skepticism about the covid vaccine, but I wonder how the news about 90%+ efficacy could affect people's calculations.  There's many factors though, like somebody's stance on vaccines overall, age/vulnerability, whether they know someone who has become seriously ill or died from covid, etc.

That skepticism just means the people who want / need the vaccine should be able to get it quicker, I think. If there’s a 100 million doses available but half the population doesn’t want it, then those of us that do want it shouldn’t have to wait as long, right?

3 minutes ago, ovweather said:

That skepticism just means the people who want / need the vaccine should be able to get it quicker, I think. If there’s a 100 million doses available but half the population doesn’t want it, then those of us that do want it shouldn’t have to wait as long, right?

I guess.  It appears it's going to be prioritized to healthcare workers and higher risk people first, but if the country is sitting on an unused supply, maybe it would open up to the rest of the general public more quickly? 

1 minute ago, OSUmetstud said:

Lol. Good to know that its okay to be anti vax or anti mask as long as you're nice. This board is so ****ing stupid. 

For real. I'm so tired of this overarching theme in this country of "it's okay to be an asshole as long as I'm using proper political discourse". No. When you're an ass, you're an ass, and I will treat you like one. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Lol. Good to know that its okay to be anti vax or anti mask as long as you're nice. This board is so ****ing stupid. 

Who in the hell is anti vax?   I posted a comment that it would be hard to convince that group to take a vaccine... Attitudes like yours keep the anti vax/mask the way they are. 

I am in the wait and see group with the vax.  Not rushing to sign up for it quite yet, but interested to hear more on it. 

• Like 1

At the risk of being a little political and definitely putting on the body armor for the flames coming my way.

Below are a couple of comments from various articles I read earlier today.

• Ben Franklin stated, “Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”
  • Just because something is a good idea does NOT mean that the government has the right or authority to ORDER it. Our system of government is based on the presumption that adult citizens have the right to make their own decisions, for good or ill. Freedom includes the freedom to act foolishly.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 3