Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

8 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Indiana with a record breaking 8,451 cases with 68,685 test. Thats about 12.3 positivity 

20201114_161159.jpg

It's an ugly percentage if you take new positive cases/new individuals tested (20% on a 7 day average), but they have been separating it out for a while.  I'm not sure which one is better to use.  Maybe depends on how you want to spin it.  :weenie:

• Like 1

Let's discuss vaccines.

Assuming it doesn't become mandated and that you have a say in the matter, will you get a covid-19 vaccine when it's available?  

My answer is... maybe.  I understand they are going through the safety trials, but part of me wants to give it more time to see if anything weird turns up in a delayed fashion.  Efficacy may also play a role.  The 90%+ pronouncement about Pfizer's vaccine sounds very nice, but I want to learn more details about that and see if that holds up.

Somebody like me likely wouldn't be able to get one before spring anyway, when the virus transmission rate should be going down.  For me this may be more of a decision for next fall/winter. 

Guest ovweather
9 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Let's discuss vaccines.

Assuming it doesn't become mandated and that you have a say in the matter, will you get a covid-19 vaccine when it's available?  

My answer is... maybe.  I understand they are going through the safety trials, but part of me wants to give it more time to see if anything weird turns up in a delayed fashion.  Efficacy may also play a role.  The 90%+ pronouncement about Pfizer's vaccine sounds very nice, but I want to learn more details about that and see if that holds up.

Somebody like me likely wouldn't be able to get one before spring anyway, when the virus transmission rate should be going down.  For me this may be more of a decision for next fall/winter. 

I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to get the vaccine. I wanted to take part in the test trials, but had no idea how to get involved. I’m not afraid. What’s there to fear? I’m much more fearful of getting the actual virus. How many vaccines out there have had “weird things” show out later on? Trust the science.

2 minutes ago, ovweather said:

I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to get the vaccine. I wanted to take part in the test trials, but had no idea how to get involved. I’m not afraid. What’s there to fear? I’m much more fearful of getting the actual virus. How many vaccines out there have had “weird things” show out later on? Trust the science.

I'm a trust the science guy as well, but I'd still prefer to see that nothing turns up a little farther down the line as very large numbers of people are vaccinated.  Heaven and earth have been moved to develop, test and produce vaccine, which is great, but I wonder about any potential very rare side effects that may be missed by the trials.

Different thing, but my grandma once had a very serious complication from an injection in her back and spent months in the hospital.  It was said to be a 1 in 10,000 occurrence.  Well, it happens to somebody.  

Guest ovweather
13 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I'm a trust the science guy as well, but I'd still prefer to see that nothing turns up a little farther down the line as very large numbers of people are vaccinated.  Heaven and earth have been moved to develop, test and produce vaccine, which is great, but I wonder about any potential very rare side effects that may be missed by the trials.

Different thing, but my grandma once had a very serious complication from an injection in her back and spent months in the hospital.  It was said to be a 1 in 10,000 occurrence.  Well, it happens to somebody.  

While I understand your hesitation, the reality is no vaccine is perfectly safe, meaning 1 out of 10,000 (or whatever number) of people has a negative adverse reaction. I think if the Covid vaccines were dangerous, it would show up pretty obviously in the trials.

55 minutes ago, ovweather said:

https://www.discovermagazine.com/health/the-public-health-legacy-of-the-1976-swine-flu-outbreak

This website is cool.  It estimates the odds that somebody with covid will be present at gathering of a particular size, based on the county you're in.  Obviously not perfect for a variety of reasons, one of which being that you can have people from higher risk counties coming into lower risk counties, but it gives an idea. 

You can play around with the number of people at a gathering and the ascertainment bias, which is the ratio of actual cases to confirmed cases.  The ascertainment bias can't be set below 5:1 though, and it's certainly possible that not so many cases are being missed in some areas.

I set the group size at 10 for this map.  Even with a group size of 10, many counties have a rather significant risk of somebody with covid being present.  Many are showing a 25-50% chance, some are 50-75% and a couple are 75-99%.  An especially important consideration with the holidays coming up.

Screenshot_20201114-180825.thumb.png.a64dee06e32d94dff10fa8b2cee621af.png

https://covid19risk.biosci.gatech.edu

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

I feel Trump has severely hurt the credibility of the cdc and health professionals with his reckless tweets while at the same time coming up with "operation warp speed" for a vaccine. I believe for this reason it is going to be hard trying to convince Americans to take/trust this vaccine 

The project itself is fine, but probably shouldn't have given it a name like that lol

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, madwx said:

Rapper Jeremih is in the ICU on a ventilator with COVID.  He's 33 with no known preexisting conditions.

Unfortunate but it happens. 
Like I said earlier, I was “fortunate” my symptoms were mild, as were my 9 other coworkers who contracted it.   3 of them were over 50 with preexisting conditions but still had mild symptoms.   All of us have pretty much fully recovered, thank goodness.  

Guest ovweather
1 hour ago, Frog Town said:

From the article: “Of the 45 million people vaccinated against the 1976 swine flu, four hundred and fifty people developed the rare syndrome Guillain-Barré.“ So a 1 in 100,000 chance of developing a rare syndrome from a rushed vaccine. With those odds, I would still gladly be first in line. I have a much better chance of dying from heart disease or cancer than suffering severe consequences from a vaccine. If it was 1 in 10 people who developed something bad because of the vaccine, than who wouldn’t hesitate? This is 2020, not 1976. Science has advanced a lot in those 44 years. I have no doubt the Covid vaccines will be safe.

1 hour ago, ovweather said:

From the article: “Of the 45 million people vaccinated against the 1976 swine flu, four hundred and fifty people developed the rare syndrome Guillain-Barré.“ So a 1 in 100,000 chance of developing a rare syndrome from a rushed vaccine. With those odds, I would still gladly be first in line. I have a much better chance of dying from heart disease or cancer than suffering severe consequences from a vaccine. If it was 1 in 10 people who developed something bad because of the vaccine, than who wouldn’t hesitate? This is 2020, not 1976. Science has advanced a lot in those 44 years. I have no doubt the Covid vaccines will be safe.

I agree with you.  The problem is that so much spewage has occurred in not trusting the science.  

Guest ovweather
30 minutes ago, RyanDe680 said:

I agree with you.  The problem is that so much spewage has occurred in not trusting the science.  

Many people trust religion and politics more than science. Humans are just a crazy species of animal. :weenie:

33 minutes ago, Angrysummons said:

Stay away from the Pfizer vaccine. Moderna and JJ will have one that is naturally built. Pfizer's is bad science. The damage it has done to a persons DNA/RNA is unfathomable. Anybody under 60 doesn't need a vaccine at all.

Were you fired from Pfizer or something?

• Haha 7

5 hours ago, Angrysummons said:

Stay away from the Pfizer vaccine. Moderna and JJ will have one that is naturally built. Pfizer's is bad science. The damage it has done to a persons DNA/RNA is unfathomable. Anybody under 60 doesn't need a vaccine at all.

If you don't mind explaining, how on Earth would a vaccine damage the human genome?

• Like 3

These Governors are in a bind. With no Federal support shutting businesses will result in many going under (many already have). No one wants to try to order people to stay home for Thanksgiving, even the ones who would otherwise consider it politically palatable. Also you have two states in the Lakes Region (Wisconsin & Michigan) those governors are essentially blocked from shutting anything down due to court rulings.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, Angrysummons said:

How in the **** do we continue to let him spew this kind of bullshit in this thread? At least back your moronic claims with some sort of source, preferably one that isn’t “covid-is-made-up.eagle/vaccines_cause_autism”. 

I’m not usually for censorship, but it’s these kind of false beliefs that have us where we are with this disease, i.e. bent over a barrel. Illinois reported 11,000 cases and 166 deaths yesterday. The first effective vaccine will save many, many lives, regardless of your beliefs. 

• Like 4

These Governors are in a bind. With no Federal support shutting businesses will result in many going under (many already have). No one wants to try to order people to stay home for Thanksgiving, even the ones who would otherwise consider it politically palatable. Also you have two states in the Lakes Region (Wisconsin & Michigan) those governors are essentially blocked from shutting anything down due to court rulings.

Well how much longer can we continue to put out “fires” if you will.

I know it’s a major point of contention but I have a very difficult time accepting that states can mandate what businesses are allowed to be open. Closing retail stores for the Holidays would be disastrous.