• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

Was looking through the IHME stuff in more detail.  It projects US hospitalizations peaking at just under 130k, which is about twice where we currently are.  Current hospitalizations are actually running ahead of progged though (67k vs 60k).  Again though, it is factoring in decreased mobility over time.  Basically, we are really screwed if we don't start taking more steps to blunt the curve.

11 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Was looking through the IHME stuff in more detail.  It projects US hospitalizations peaking at just under 130k, which is about twice where we currently are.  Current hospitalizations are actually running ahead of progged though (67k vs 60k).  Again though, it is factoring in decreased mobility over time.  Basically, we are really screwed if we don't start taking more steps to blunt the curve.

The problem is our captain has jumped ship. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Interesting read on ESPN.com

http:// https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30308543/golden-state-warriors-submit-plan-home-game-testing-allow-50-percent-fan-capacity

The owner of the Warriors has a Masters in Public Health which is how he came up with this plan.

It’s going to be interesting to see if this rapid testing can truly come to fruition and how much life will change once it does. It’s clear that financially these entertainment avenues are getting crushed over this.

A lot of money in not only the operation of teams and holding concerts, but the construction as well. I mean heck Little Caesars Arena was almost a billion dollar build

35 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Or perhaps false positives for antigen tests are possible ?

Lol don't forget elon also said there would be no cases by April. Hes wilfully ignorant with science pertaining to covid but pumps it up for global warming. Not starting a debate about global warming, I just find it funny how when the science helps his pocket book because the government is regulating fossil fuels he's down with it but the moment it impacts his factories its fake. 

• Like 4

lol this is just Musk's way of announcing he has the virus. He couldn't do it without first undermining pandemic mitigation efforts. Anything short of him going on a ventilator he'll claim as "cold like symptoms".

It's no secret that rapid tests aren't super accurate. However they do have their use, especially for preventing outbreaks at long term care facilities. Rapid tests have identified infected staff at the facility my mom works as a nurse in, and this likely prevented big outbreaks there. 

• Like 3

Clear trend right now is for state/local governments to gradually pull back on indoor dining/in person schooling add mask mandates when not present and issue "advisories" which have no legal force to try to encourage people to limit their contacts with others. Question is what percentage of people are going to change their behavior based on these "recommendations?" Many people just aren't going to listen.

• Like 1

Clear trend right now is for state/local governments to gradually pull back on indoor dining/in person schooling add mask mandates when not present and issue "advisories" which have no legal force to try to encourage people to limit their contacts with others. Question is what percentage of people are going to change their behavior based on these "recommendations?" Many people just aren't going to listen.

This is where a lack of rapid testing kills us. IMO there should be ZERO restrictions at this point. Should have testing available before entering stores, restaurants, bars, concerts, games.

I know on my iPhone there’s an “Exposure Notification”. Not sure where this is even an option to be honest. It feels so arcane that we have to wear a fricking piece of cloth because we can’t technologically do this right.
  • Weenie 2

2 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Hearing from a physician (aka my sister) that hospitals in the LaSalle/Peru, Sandwich, and DeKalb areas have all beds full. 

Illinois spent millions in the spring to build the field hospital which saw 12 patients. Now we may actually need it. 

Kishwaukee hospital in Dekalb already had to turn one of their med/surge floors into a COVID unit 3 days ago & it’s full, the ICU is rapidly reaching capacity as well (per roommates gf that works there) so that lines up pretty well. Lasalle/Peru are 5th in the nation currently for rate of spread compared to population in the entire country as of yesterday. Almost surreal how fast this has gotten so bad, not surprising necessarily though 

1 hour ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

5,708 new cases in IN with 50 additional deaths. 

Basically back to April level death numbers.  Statistically you have a better chance of making it out of the hospital now compared to back then, but we have record hospitalization numbers countering that.

Yikes, 12 states over 5,000 cases yesterday, 39 over 1,000.

I am not sure what the exit strategy is for this wave. I believe we will hit the break glass moment in the next month in terms of widespread overflow of local healthcare bed and staffing capacity. So far it seems like the strategy is to beg people to change behavior or to issue "soft" stay at home restrictions. Not sure what level it will take for the lame duck leaders to even acknowledge the suffering happening.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

Yikes, 12 states over 5,000 cases yesterday, 39 over 1,000.

I am not sure what the exit strategy is for this wave. I believe we will hit the break glass moment in the next month in terms of widespread overflow of local healthcare bed and staffing capacity. So far it seems like the strategy is to beg people to change behavior or to issue "soft" stay at home restrictions. Not sure what level it will take for the lame duck leaders to even acknowledge the suffering happening.

At this point, it’s going to be brutal regardless of the mitigation steps. There is no putting the toothpaste back in the tube. 

We have never been proactive during the pandemic. We are always reactive, usually caught with our pants down. The virus is winning, and plainly, kicking our ass handily. 

All the zombie movies make sense now. I totally understand how something spreads so damn fast. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UMB WX said:

I don't want to distract you from handing out buns across the entire forum... but the election celebrations were absolutely super spreaders -- https://www.marketwatch.com/story/were-those-biden-victory-celebrations-coronavirus-superspreader-events-health-experts-extremely-concerned-they-could-be-2020-11-09

Or is the recent spike merely a coincidence? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 2

Just now, NEOH said:

I don't want to distract from handing out buns across the entire forum... but the election celebrations were absolutely super spreaders -- https://www.marketwatch.com/story/were-those-biden-victory-celebrations-coronavirus-superspreader-events-health-experts-extremely-concerned-they-could-be-2020-11-09

Or is the recent spike merely a coincidence? 

We won't see the results of the celebration until next weekend 

• Thanks 1