Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

12 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

I'm tired of it too. Imagine the chaos, the massive number of illnesses and deaths, if everyone ignored the science like these guys.

I dont ignore science. I always wear a mask. I just want to know why cases are increasing. The only logical explanation is that less people are wearing masks right ? Because its literally impossible for cases to increase that much if more people are wearing masks.

• Weenie 1

20 minutes ago, Snownado said:

I dont ignore science. I always wear a mask. I just want to know why cases are increasing. The only logical explanation is that less people are wearing masks right ? Because its literally impossible for cases to increase that much if more people are wearing masks.

No. Masks aren't the only thing that matters...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Snownado said:

Same here, you're required to wear them in stores.  

14 hours ago, Hoosier said:

You are giving ammo to the anti-maskers :gun_bandana:

But maybe it helped you and your coworkers take in a lower viral dose vs not wearing one.

Glad you are on the mend.

Lol.  Just stating the facts.  Haha. 

I’m guessing it did because we’ve all pretty much have fully recovered.  All had mild symptoms.

Thanks   

I don't think grocery stores are a significant transmission area, assuming everyone is wearing masks. You are only in there for a limited period of time. Longer time inside=higher potential viral load. With a dine in restaurant you are in there longer and you have to talk off your mask to eat. Both increase exposure.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Snownado said:

Makes no sense. And it cant be because more people are staying indoors because the weather has been so nice and warm ! Everyone has been outside enjoying the nice weather ! So why are cases going up if more people are wearing masks ?

This is from Halloween and the cold spell we had two weeks ago, most likely.  

Holcomb announced new limits on crowd sizes for most of Indiana.  Local officials will have the say on what to do with places like bars and restaurants.

This is a relatively minor move in the grand scheme of things, so I'm skeptical about it helping to any great degree, but we'll see.

https://fox59.com/news/gov-holcomb-state-officials-to-deliver-weekly-coronavirus-briefing/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

I suspect America will be in lockdown by next week 

Nobody wants to be the one to announce that right before Thanksgiving.

My guess as to how it goes down is that we wait to see the impact of Thanksgiving, things continue to get worse, some places come out with some sort of modified lockdown/stay at home in December, and a lot of people don't follow it anyway. 

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

My thing is since we know we have a vaccine why not just lockdown until it becomes widely available in a couple of months

Because it won't be widely available in a couple of months. The first batches will go to front-line workers (health care, first responders,etc.). Then it will sent to long-term care facilities and other high risk groups, then law enforcement, fire, dispatchers. During that time, mass production will be ramping up and I don't look for wide distribution until April at the earliest. Secondly, even though early tests are encouraging, it's true efficacy it still unknown.

Guest ovweather
1 hour ago, StormfanaticInd said:

I suspect America will be in lockdown by next week 

No way. Whose going to implement that order? We certainly know who won’t, especially considering the cranky mood he’s in. I doubt any states implement such orders, too. It wouldn’t do any good, anyways, since many new cases are occurring from spread inside homes.

1 hour ago, StormfanaticInd said:

My thing is since we know we have a vaccine why not just lockdown until it becomes widely available in a couple of months

Careful, we have a candidate vaccine, tested thus far only on healthy people 18-55. How well it is accepted by the older or more infirm who are most at risk remains tbd.

• Thanks 1

So Illinois issued a stay at home "recommendation."  Is there any reason to think it won't fall on deaf ears?

IDPH Issues New Guidance Urging Residents to Stay Home and Leave Only for ‘Essential Activities'

The guidelines, which come just before the the Thanksgiving holiday, recommend that for the next three weeks, residents "stay home as much as possible, leaving only for necessary and essential activities"

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/coronavirus/idph-issues-new-guidance-urging-residents-to-stay-home-and-leave-only-for-essential-activities/2367781/

2 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Watching New York carefully. We don't need them getting out of control again 

We are a bunch of weather nerds who understand the difficulty of predicting the weather....Human behavior is way easier to predict with much easier Math and Physics.  New York is in trouble....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

So Illinois issued a stay at home "recommendation."  Is there any reason to think it won't fall on deaf ears?

IDPH Issues New Guidance Urging Residents to Stay Home and Leave Only for ‘Essential Activities'

The guidelines, which come just before the the Thanksgiving holiday, recommend that for the next three weeks, residents "stay home as much as possible, leaving only for necessary and essential activities"

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/coronavirus/idph-issues-new-guidance-urging-residents-to-stay-home-and-leave-only-for-essential-activities/2367781/

My guess is that there is some political strategy to this, to soften the “blow” when it becomes an order. “We asked you to comply, and you didn’t. So it’s now a stay at home order.”

Will be interesting to see how well employers comply. 

• Like 1

Guys Shelter-In-Place is not a viable option. Definitely not a great time to be going out and doing things, but you’d have a Depression-era level wave of evictions and homelessness in this country if this were to occur. The NY Times ran a recent article saying as many as 13 million people are receiving emergency assistance from the government at this time. If we go back to April-type restrictions those less fortunate are finished financially.

It’d be hard to “Shelter in Place” if you have no shelter.

It’s a wartime mentality that this country needs to accept. Limit your casualties and keep moving forward as macabre as that is

• Sad 1
  • Weenie 3

29 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Guys Shelter-In-Place is not a viable option. Definitely not a great time to be going out and doing things, but you’d have a Depression-era level wave of evictions and homelessness in this country if this were to occur. The NY Times ran a recent article saying as many as 13 million people are receiving emergency assistance from the government at this time. If we go back to April-type restrictions those less fortunate are finished financially.

It’s a wartime mentality that this country needs to accept. Limit your casualties and keep moving forward as macabre as that is

I get your point but that just won't work either because hospitals would be extremely overwhelmed. That would just be disastrous because many will die that did not have to. 

1 hour ago, nwohweather said:

Maybe we shouldn't be evicting people in the middle of a pandemic especially as we go into winter. I won't even touch that last one. Maybe people could go to the utopia of SC though where everything is magical.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1