Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

35 minutes ago, vortex said:

I tested positive for Covid last Friday after becoming symptomatic on Wednesday.  I was exposed at work by a stupid coworker who came to work sick last Monday.  He tested positive Wednesday, then 3 other coworkers did. 

I started  with a slight cough for 2 days, then lightheaded, chills and low grade fever for a few days.  All have since resolved themselves besides some fatigue.  The other workers who caught it all had similar symptoms. 
I’m in my mid 40s and in good shape/health.  To be honest, it wasn’t that bad at all. Pretty lucky.  

Were you not wearing a mask ? I thought it was nearly impossible to get covid as long as you are wearing a mask.

• Weenie 1

38 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

Masks are not going to protect you 100%, especially if you are in close contact with someone indoors for hours with poor ventilation. Even in that situation they can reduce viral load though,

This is the point that should be more prominent.  Masks help, but they are not 100% effective.  So many people think wear a mask and you are safe.  Don't wear one and you are dead when in reality what really happens is somewhere in between.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

Masks are not going to protect you 100%, especially if you are in close contact with someone indoors for hours with poor ventilation. Even in that situation they can reduce viral load though,

Exactly. The greatest benefit is if both you and the infected person are masked. Second best is if the infected person is wearing a mask. If just you are wearing a mask (assuming it's not a N95) the benefit is considerably reduced but non-zero.

• Like 1

Guest ovweather
25 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

:lol: odd isn't it, mask usage up, positive case #s up..  

So you know for a fact that everyone testing positive was wearing a mask when exposed? Please share the data you obviously have to back your statement up.

9 hours ago, vortex said:

I tested positive for Covid last Friday after becoming symptomatic on Wednesday.  I was exposed at work by a stupid coworker who came to work sick last Monday.  He tested positive Wednesday, then 3 other coworkers did. 

I started  with a slight cough for 2 days, then lightheaded, chills and low grade fever for a few days.  All have since resolved themselves besides some fatigue.  The other workers who caught it all had similar symptoms. 
I’m in my mid 40s and in good shape/health.  To be honest, it wasn’t that bad at all. Pretty lucky.  

I am starting to have friends and people I know contract covid. Fortunately all so far have had mild symptoms and have recovered. Its great no one was seriously ill however this does have a downside. Its human nature to start to downplay the possible effects of covid if your personal experience was "I've had worse colds". It just adds further ammunition to a large population of Americans that are just over this in their minds. Also why does IL continue to stress these travel bans from various other states when their own state's community spread is so high does it really matter.

• Like 1

I see that North Carolina is bumping up against 3,000 new cases a day, higher than the spring. Meanwhile, their neighbors to the north instituted a mandate of no gatherings larger than 10 people. The paradise of the Southeast is not looking much better than the rest of the country at present.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Snownado said:

Were you not wearing a mask ? I thought it was nearly impossible to get covid as long as you are wearing a mask.

951721751_ScreenShot2020-11-11at7_53_39AM.png.7201c886467f5b724eaaf514c3b388e0.png

Notice it doesn't say zero risk. It's also more complicated than that. Many people take their masks off to eat at work; is there sufficient ventilation in the shared spaces? Are people wearing masks that fully cover their nose and mouth? 

As Hoosier pointed out, relatively milder symptoms can be expected when transmission does occur since masks lower the received viral dose.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

951721751_ScreenShot2020-11-11at7_53_39AM.png.7201c886467f5b724eaaf514c3b388e0.png

Notice it doesn't say zero risk. It's also more complicated than that. Many people take their masks off to eat at work; is there sufficient ventilation in the shared spaces? Are people wearing masks that fully cover their nose and mouth? 

As Hoosier pointed out, relatively milder symptoms can be expected when transmission does occur since masks lower the received viral dose.

They don't care. I've posted studies here. They are purposely ignorant. Im ****ing tired of it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

They don't care. I've posted studies here. They are purposely ignorant. Im ****ing tired of it. 

Everybody knows a guy like that. The type who’ll say their uncle had lung cancer but never smoked as a way to justify their own 2 pack a day habit. 

• Like 4

Seems like the go-to measure in most states in the 10 person indoor gathering limit and shutting restaurants at 10 pm. CT, MA & RI have that here in the Northeast. Not sure how effective these measures will be. Seeing a lot of pressure on hospitals now especially in the Plains.

Current cases/pop:

US 375/million, UK 337/million (on plateau), Spain 374/million (on plateau) France: 715/million (probably on plateau now, they have had issues with delayed test data) Italy 557/million (still spiking) Germany 218/million (on plateau).

UK current death rate is ~1750/day for U.S. population, For Spain is ~1950/day (and their time lagged CFR's are close to the U.S.). IMHO this is highly likely where we heading in about 3 weeks.

CORONAVIRUS SURGE SENDS MANY HOOSIER HOSPITALS 'OVER 100 PERCENT OCCUPANCY'

“Many hospitals are reporting staff shortages as the pandemic takes its toll. Hoosier nurses, doctors and other front-line hospital staff have been working non-stop since the early spring,” Tabor said in a statement Tuesday.

In recent weeks, new cases have reached the highest level to date, and hospitalizations have increased by 143% since Oct. 1, according to Tabor.

Dr. Christopher Mansfield, Chief of Adult In-Patient Medicine at IU-Health’s West Region, said hospitals in Lafayette, Frankfort and Monticello were “over 100 percent.”

“When I mean 100 percent occupancy, that literally means we are occupying every adult bed in our facility,” said Mansfield. “We are populating areas now, like our ambulance bay, which we've transitioned into an in-patient holding area while they're waiting to get a physical bed in the upstairs part of IU Arnett Hospital.”

Mansfield said administrators were talking Tuesday about whether to scale back elective procedures to allow for more room and more staff to help.

“We can't take too much more from a surge standpoint. Otherwise, we (may) not have physical space, so we're trying to utilize what we've got in the smartest way most efficiently,” he said.

https://www.wthr.com/amp/article/news/local/coronavirus-surge-sends-many-hoosier-hospitals-over-100-percent-occupancy/531-6e5b11f3-07af-4356-8395-d1be34a3ee9a

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, dta1984 said:

Makes no sense. And it cant be because more people are staying indoors because the weather has been so nice and warm ! Everyone has been outside enjoying the nice weather ! So why are cases going up if more people are wearing masks ?

• Weenie 1

14 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

CORONAVIRUS SURGE SENDS MANY HOOSIER HOSPITALS 'OVER 100 PERCENT OCCUPANCY'

“Many hospitals are reporting staff shortages as the pandemic takes its toll. Hoosier nurses, doctors and other front-line hospital staff have been working non-stop since the early spring,” Tabor said in a statement Tuesday.

In recent weeks, new cases have reached the highest level to date, and hospitalizations have increased by 143% since Oct. 1, according to Tabor.

Dr. Christopher Mansfield, Chief of Adult In-Patient Medicine at IU-Health’s West Region, said hospitals in Lafayette, Frankfort and Monticello were “over 100 percent.”

“When I mean 100 percent occupancy, that literally means we are occupying every adult bed in our facility,” said Mansfield. “We are populating areas now, like our ambulance bay, which we've transitioned into an in-patient holding area while they're waiting to get a physical bed in the upstairs part of IU Arnett Hospital.”

Mansfield said administrators were talking Tuesday about whether to scale back elective procedures to allow for more room and more staff to help.

“We can't take too much more from a surge standpoint. Otherwise, we (may) not have physical space, so we're trying to utilize what we've got in the smartest way most efficiently,” he said.

https://www.wthr.com/amp/article/news/local/coronavirus-surge-sends-many-hoosier-hospitals-over-

Hospitals are about to be completely overwhelmed. There is almost nothing that can be done now. The cases are just simply too high

28 minutes ago, Snownado said:

Makes no sense. And it cant be because more people are staying indoors because the weather has been so nice and warm ! Everyone has been outside enjoying the nice weather ! So why are cases going up if more people are wearing masks ?

The cases being reported right now are from exposure 8-10 days ago at least, which was before the warm up in the central/eastern US. Wont be for another week to see if the 5-6 warmer days will reduce transmission rates some (hopefully). While certainly the cooler weather is the second half of October has driven more people indoors and might explain the Upper Midwest spiking first, it doesn't explain everything. Cases/hospitalizations have started going back up in places that haven't gotten cold, like Southern California and Florida. Also the OH Valley spikes were initiated in first half of October, when temps weren't much cooler than this past week (60s-70s).

13 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Hospitals are about to be completely overwhelmed. There is almost nothing that can be done now. The cases are just simply too high

Probably only a matter of time until they have to pull back on electives, but you can only put on so many band aids.  Really need to slow down the growth somehow.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

The cases being reported right now are from exposure 8-10 days ago at least, which was before the warm up in the central/eastern US. Wont be for another week to see if the 5-6 warmer days will reduce transmission rates some (hopefully). While certainly the cooler weather is the second half of October has driven more people indoors and might explain the Upper Midwest spiking first, it doesn't explain everything. Cases/hospitalizations have started going back up in places that haven't gotten cold, like Southern California and Florida. Also the OH Valley spikes were initiated in first half of October, when temps weren't much cooler than this past week (60s-70s).

It is arguable how much benefit there will be from 1 week of warm weather.  I'm honestly not counting on anything but it would be nice.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

It is arguable how much benefit there will be from 1 week of warm weather.  I'm honestly not counting on anything but it would be nice.  

Im not even sure weather is even a factor. Didnt they say cases would decline dramatically as we got into summer and the opposite happened ?

5 hours ago, dta1984 said:

26 minutes ago, Snownado said:

4 hours ago, purduewx80 said:

3 hours ago, OSUmetstud said:

I'm tired of it too. Imagine the chaos, the massive number of illnesses and deaths, if everyone ignored the science like these guys.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Snownado said:

Im not even sure weather is even a factor. Didnt they say cases would decline dramatically as we got into summer and the opposite happened ?

In the summer, people in the South (where the outbreak was worst by far) go indoors to avoid the heat. The recirculating A/C air and lack of mandates I'm sure made it much worse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1