Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

So the first place he referred to ranks in the top 25% of population by county in Indiana.  The other one (Jennings co.) is in the bottom half.

Either way they are one hospital anecdotes, the state numbers as a whole matter the most.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dan11295 said:

People have to remember that these cases are from people getting exposed 10-14 days ago on average. 5-6 days for symptoms, 1-2 days to get the test, then 3-7 days on average to get it back (this number can vary based on type of test and setting (hospital vs test site, etc.) 

I went to a test site last Thursday in the late afternoon and got my negative result on Sunday morning (2 1/2 days).

6 hours ago, Stebo said:

These are irrelevant anecdotes, the numbers for the state and nearly every state are flying through the roof. Congrats on middle-of-nowhere county Indiana is doing well. That county probably has more cows than people.

Columbus, Indiana is not that small, about half the size of Indy. Also, they had very high rates about 6 months ago..

Not just anecdotes. I don't make stuff up..

Guest ovweather
14 hours ago, chuckster2012 said:

Columbus, Indiana is not that small, about half the size of Indy. Also, they had very high rates about 6 months ago..

Not just anecdotes. I don't make stuff up..

Columbus is about 60% the size of Bloomington which is about 10% the size of Indianapolis (all based on population data). Columbus is basically a glorified truck stop along Interstate 65.

Interesting stats from the BBC News. https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-54783016

In their exit polling the Coronavirus ranked 3rd at the issue that mattered most when it came to electing your chosen candidate. 35% said economy, 20% said racial inequality, 17% coronavirus, 11% for crime and safety & 11% for healthcare policy. 

To me this is really at the heart of what is happening within this country. As easy as it is to point fingers at leaders, we forget that we indeed are in charge. Covid-19 absolutely impacts all of our lives significantly on a daily occurance. The fact that frickin racial inequality was a bigger issue to voters than this is quite telling. By no means am I saying that it isn't an issue, it clearly is a very serious topic. But we have hundreds dying daily & the coronavirus barely beats Crime & safety as an election topic?

Regardless of what side of the aisle you're on, it seems apparent based on election results that the American public by and large wants to just let it ride until a vaccine comes out

• Weenie 3

Guest ovweather
53 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Interesting stats from the BBC News. https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-54783016

In their exit polling the Coronavirus ranked 3rd at the issue that mattered most when it came to electing your chosen candidate. 35% said economy, 20% said racial inequality, 17% coronavirus, 11% for crime and safety & 11% for healthcare policy. 

To me this is really at the heart of what is happening within this country. As easy as it is to point fingers at leaders, we forget that we indeed are in charge. Covid-19 absolutely impacts all of our lives significantly on a daily occurance. The fact that frickin racial inequality was a bigger issue to voters than this is quite telling. By no means am I saying that it isn't an issue, it clearly is a very serious topic. But we have hundreds dying daily & the coronavirus barely beats Crime & safety as an election topic?

Regardless of what side of the aisle you're on, it seems apparent based on election results that the American public by and large wants to just let it ride until a vaccine comes out

Money matters more to many, even more so than their own health. Ironically, it’s peoples generally poor health habits that cause them lots of money in health care costs. Logic doesn’t exist.

Want to keep post-election commentary limited and narrowly focused.  It's clear that we are a very divided country, and I don't see how any of this bodes well in terms of trying to deal with the virus in the coming days ahead.  There's bound to be a lot of distractions at the federal level and media attention seems likely to be slanted toward matters related to election disputes.  Meanwhile, covid-19 is out there and only getting worse.

The good news is we still control our own behavior.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Spain just reported 1623 deaths today. Scary numbers for a population of 47 million 

only 297 were new, rest were from a while ago. Regardless Europe has major problems, new daily hospital admissions in France were 3700 yesterday, not far below their Spring peak of 4300.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

only 297 were new, rest were from a while ago. Regardless Europe has major problems, new daily hospital admissions in France were 3700 yesterday, not far below their Spring peak of 4300.

Aw ok. These numbers are so tricky. They need to make it easier for the general public to understand 

The lowest estimate of world wide deaths from the 1918 flu pandemic is 21 million, when world population was less than a third of today....675,000 deaths in America.   Source....John Barry's "The Great Influenza," a very good historical read.  My take is that there is a divide between those who want to get the economy going at all costs and let the virus chips fall where they may and those who believe the government has a role in public health to restrict certain freedoms in the interest of greater good, such as gas, food, and other types of rationing during WWII.

This worries me:

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-denmark-mink/denmark-to-cull-entire-mink-herd-amid-mutation-fears-for-coronavirus-vaccine-idINKBN27K1YV

The virus has been tearing through mink farms for several months now, and mutations have been cooking up during this time. It's jumped back to humans on more than one occasion as well. According to the article, there is a mink strain that is back circulating in humans that may be resistant to antibodies from the human strains of the virus. This would be a major issue for vaccine prospects as well. I can't find any literature on the new claims, so hopefully this will just be a scare. Even so, we need to be vigilant at monitoring the strains circulating in animals so we don't end up back at square 1.

5 hours ago, A-L-E-K said:

fwiw herd immunity in the US is ~2 million dead

it's obscene

I think we're at the point of no return. Just called a client with covid, 90% oxygen levels, but extremely fatigue and dizzy. Its starting to spread quickly even here in NYS. Infection rate above 5% in my county, which is still low but rising. I expect Cuomo to start putting more restrictions in place soon.