Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

Guest ovweather
1 hour ago, StormfanaticInd said:

We are only 4% of the world's population yet here we are at the top. America should be ashamed 

20201027_224628.jpg

How can China not be in the top-25? After all, it is THEIR virus.

India being second makes sense, but then again they do have a billion more people than the US so they’re obviously doing some better than here.

2 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

WOW!!! We only test 19,583 today and still had over 2000. 

I should mention that the 13 or 14 percent was on individuals tested.  As you know they break it down into 2 categories on the dashboard... individuals tested and total tests performed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jonger said:

8,000 Americans die everyday with or without COVID.

Here are the excess mortality numbers.The numbers only to go to early September due to incomplete reporting. I look for that curve to increase soon based on the sharp increase in cases. This gives a new view to those here that are still downplaying the seriousness of this virus.

Screenshot_2020-10-28 Excess mortality during the Coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19).png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ovweather said:

How can China not be in the top-25? After all, it is THEIR virus.

India being second makes sense, but then again they do have a billion more people than the US so they’re obviously doing some better than here.

Do you think that China is being honest with their numbers :o?  Just speculation on my part... but the American population as a whole is very unhealthy, and considering chronic conditions play a significant role in deaths I'm guessing that's why the USA is at the top the list. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Jonger said:

Are we really going to ignore obesity rates and how that has played into all of this?

Agreed.  It's been said many times, this should be a wake-up call to those not practicing a healthy lifestyle.  Some just want to ignore that and point fingers at other things. 

• Weenie 1

13 minutes ago, Angrysummons said:

Being fat is a part of the problem.

fwiw, you can probably add 100000 onto China's final current number. Still like the rest of Asia, blows the "west" away.

China probably has one of the lowest obesity rates on earth. I'm sure their tally is a total lie though.

COVID just gave many people on the brink a little nudge off the cliff.

• Weenie 1

37 minutes ago, Jonger said:

China probably has one of the lowest obesity rates on earth. I'm sure their tally is a total lie though.

COVID just gave many people on the brink a little nudge off the cliff.

This is not supported by the data. An estimated 2.5 million life years lost in the United States so far and counting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/21/health/coronavirus-statistics-deaths.html

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Agreed.  It's been said many times, this should be a wake-up call to those not practicing a healthy lifestyle.  Some just want to ignore that and point fingers at other things. 

Maybe because there are other things? Yes, obesity increases your risk for a lot of things, no doubt. But it's not like it's just obese people lying in the ICUs or worse. It's not like previously healthy people aren't getting seriously ill. So going too far on this end of the argument just becomes too much of a convenient generalization (no doubt used to downplay the seriousness of the pandemic)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Maybe because there are other things? Yes, obesity increases your risk for a lot of things, no doubt. But it's not like it's just obese people lying in the ICUs or worse. It's not like previously healthy people aren't getting seriously ill. So going too far on this end of the argument just becomes too much of a convenient generalization (no doubt used to downplay the seriousness of the pandemic)

I think its like 96% of the people that have died from COVID had 2 or more chronic conditions. Definitely not a generalization. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/evidence-table.html

• Like 4

It's fine to mention that the vast majority of covid deaths happen in people with preexisting conditions, but it's not fine to use it as a way to minimize things.  We have a shit ton of people walking around with some kind of condition(s), and a person can live for many years or decades with preexisting conditions.

• Like 8