Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I saw El Paso is doing some kind of stay at home thing.

The spring type of closures should be a last resort.  I think you have to target restrictions to higher risk places (sucks for them) and see how that goes.

I would hope that this time around...with better testing than the Spring, we are in a better position to do more targeted lockdowns if necessary. Feels like the combination of us flying blind and still not knowing what we were dealing with led to the bigger shutdowns...

50 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I saw El Paso is doing some kind of stay at home thing.

The spring type of closures should be a last resort.  I think you have to target restrictions to higher risk places (sucks for them) and see how that goes.

To me its only a matter of time. This path we are on is not sustainable. Something is going to have to give and we know its not going to be the virus 

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah that seems like a popular theory... that it will go away.  The virus obviously won't just go away and we should hope that the media coverage won't go away either as that would just result in more complacency.

If Trump loses, it wouldn't surprise me if Fox News suddenly starts covering the pandemic nonstop throughout 2021.  They might actually increase their pandemic coverage.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Whatever happens with Covid, it's already too late to walk away saying that as a country, we did as well as we should have. I know that Biden won't be able to pull a miracle out of his ass and solve the crisis, but I firmly believe that he will ensure that should a situation like this ever arise again, we will be much better prepared for it. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

On 10/24/2020 at 3:18 PM, Hoosier said:

I don't want to get too far into politics, but honestly, Joe Biden will only be able to do so much if he wins.  From what I understand, it seems like a mask mandate probably cannot be enacted on a national level.  So it would come down to convincing the governors to change course, and then you need to enforce it and have the population buy in.  No easy task.  As far as I am concerned, the horse is kind of out of the barn on masks.  Maybe some people change their tune on masks if they get really sick or if someone close to them does, but that moves the needle at a snail's pace.  The virus is going to be a substantial problem for a while, and I hope that people aren't under the impression that a change in president would suddenly make it all better.  

The biggest issue is the failure to lead.  Even in such a polarized environment, you'd be surprised how much strong and effective leadership matters when it comes to navigating through a crisis.  Unfortunately, Trump has no leadership skills, is a poor communicator, and his management style has always involved chaos and infighting.  I blame our political system and ourselves more than him though.  After all, we basically hired a reality TV star with no governing experience to be our President.  This crisis is too big for him.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Malacka11 said:

Just gonna leave this here.

https://www.psypost.org/2020/10/trump-support-predicted-intentions-to-defy-social-distancing-norms-during-early-stages-of-the-covid-19-outbreak-58368

Those of you who believe Trump's actions do not directly impede efforts to curb Covid are a bunch of colossally ignorant morons. 

The fact that, once again, research and science (which I know people hate to hear) shows that these measures help prevent the spread of this has been defied, and practically ignored.  

No one is expecting either administration to pull a miracle out at this point, which won't happen no matter who is in that chair, but at least acknowledgement is better than blatant ignorance.  

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Stebo said:

Yeah gotta keep the bullshit story going. All you need to do is visit any comment section of Facebook or Twitter. There are literally tons of people who think this will go away after the election.

That's what I don't really understand. They call it the "election infection" and don't believe it's real. They believe the numbers are inflated and that covid doesn't really kill that many people, but the underlying conditions do, and that it's basically just the flu. 

• Weenie 1

10 hours ago, Malacka11 said:

Okay but here's the thing with that argument, right: we've already established that it's common sense that a facemask will help prevent the spread of water droplets from your airways. You can prove this by simply trying to blow out a candle while wearing one. We're not talking about faking the moon landings here, you put the damn thing on and can see for yourself that the logic is there.

I seriously would like to know who you think is at fault for politicizing this pandemic. I am firmly of the belief that those not wearing the masks are the ones doing the politicizing. I'm not talking about shutdowns or stimulus checks, I'm just referring to the jerk-offs that regard PPE as useless because "they infringe upon my rights and only like 1% of people die from the China Virus anyway". 

Bingo! This is the thing I fully never understood, while our country basically shut down for two months the protesting really shocked me. People en masse lost it, and politicians said I agree to garner votes. I don't get the anti-mask thing at all, just like the anti-global warming hate. You can accept these scientific truths and still say screw it and not wear one or buy an F250. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Malacka11 said:

Just gonna leave this here.

https://www.psypost.org/2020/10/trump-support-predicted-intentions-to-defy-social-distancing-norms-during-early-stages-of-the-covid-19-outbreak-58368

Those of you who believe Trump's actions do not directly impede efforts to curb Covid are a bunch of colossally ignorant morons. 

What else would you really do though besides going into a complete lockdown?  Here in Chicago you can't go anywhere without a mask on and restrictions have been in place since nearly the beginning of all of this and the numbers still continue to shoot up.

13 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Bingo! This is the thing I fully never understood, while our country basically shut down for two months the protesting really shocked me. People en masse lost it, and politicians said I agree to garner votes. I don't get the anti-mask thing at all, just like the anti-global warming hate. You can accept these scientific truths and still say screw it and not wear one or buy an F250. 

It sounds to me like you're saying protests occurred en masse because of "lockdowns" - is that what you're getting at? What you also clearly don't get is the plight of Black Americans, who by the way, are still disproportionately affected by the pandemic. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, kevlon62 said:

Verbatim in the American email this morning:

"Enjoy fares as low as $99 one way to the people and places you’ve been missing, plus no change fees."

78bc548f005358bf9be7364ae027c8f7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I work at an airport and I see who is flying, with these lower rates it is people who wouldn't normally fly to begin with. It is the airlines taking advantage of the situation to insure they have nearly full flights to keep their routes. Doesn't matter if people get sick as long as planes are flying.

2 hours ago, purduewx80 said:

It sounds to me like you're saying protests occurred en masse because of "lockdowns" - is that what you're getting at? What you also clearly don't get is the plight of Black Americans, who by the way, are still disproportionately affected by the pandemic. 

I think he's referring to the anti-lockdown protests (armed buffoons in the MI state capitol, etc) which pre-dated the racial justice protests.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JoMo said:

This is talking about 26,000 people in 25 countries. In the US, it feels like the number of Covid denialists is far far higher.

• Like 1

Pretty sure lockdown protests is what he's referring to. Or anti mask protests etc  Not about race. 

• Like 1

I work at an airport and I see who is flying, with these lower rates it is people who wouldn't normally fly to begin with. It is the airlines taking advantage of the situation to insure they have nearly full flights to keep their routes. Doesn't matter if people get sick as long as planes are flying.
Generally speaking, are current flyers skewing toward any particular age/income/education level?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, dta1984 said:

Pretty sure lockdown protests is what he's referring to. Or anti mask protests etc  Not about race. 

Yes DTA I was not talking about the race riots & protests. I swear sometimes this forum at times gives NASCAR a run for its money and how much it goes left.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 3

1 hour ago, Chicago Storm said:

Suburban Cook Co was added to the list of regions (counties) with increased restrictions.

However, it doesn’t matter much...As many places have stayed open in counties already under the increased restrictions.

https://chicago.eater.com/2020/10/26/21531051/illinois-restaurant-sues-pritzker-covid-19-indoor-service

1 hour ago, nwohweather said:

Yes DTA I was not talking about the race riots & protests. I swear sometimes this forum at times gives NASCAR a run for its money and how much it goes left.

Well, this is a forum for weather buffs and meteorologists, so we have tendency to follow the science, however "left" that may seem to some.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Angrysummons said:

lol, the roaring twenties were a disaster globally. Europe never really recovered from the war/flu and the US had the biggest debt bubble in history. Revolution in Italy was partly triggered by the flu in the early 20's.

COVID doesn't get the respect because it kills the older folks and its imprint in Asia/Africa is vastly less than the 1918-20. Until the medical bottlenecks end, your going to get restrictions. So let it go and lets have a million infected a week. Drugs would run out, younger people due to lack of treatment will die at a greater rate. Please, just let it happen. Lets nature takes its course. Sadly, the health care system will implode and long term effects will plague it for years.

That wasn't the general point. Its that there is a way out. Positive and empathetic public health messaging is important.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Angrysummons said:

Good luck with that. I just don't see it. Much like Newsome trying to restrict California Thanksgiving gatherings.............and wearing masks when you aren't eating.........simply isn't going to work. Rationing medical supplies and beds for people that actually need them is the only thing that can be done. Messaging is toast. When the 30 year old person comes in with Covid related problems, they will have to be sent to a facility were no medical care will be given wishing for the best. The people have decided.

I'm talking about that pandemics end and normal life resumes. Public health people haven't given up and neither should we. 

• Like 1