Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

30 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I did not realize. sending well wishes jackstraw!

16 minutes ago, roardog said:

Did he take a turn for the worse? I thought he was doing better during the summer.

He is doing better now, but is a "long hauler."  He says that he will be back irritating the board soon.  Also, Josh, please forgive me for not mentioning you too. So anyone who posts in our subforum knows at least two people who have been infected.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

He is doing better now, but is a "long hauler."  He says that he will be back irritating the board soon.  Also, Josh, please forgive me for not mentioning you too. So anyone who posts in our subforum knows at least two people who have been infected.

I'm wondering if anyone else here has had it? i know some in other forums did. And thank you! I really appreciate the kind words but no need to mention me, I was a mild case, I just like to point out to everyone that with first hand experience, even with a mild case, yes the flu like bad part lasts 10-14 days, but usually some minor things linger for 3-5 WEEKS.  Most common is a cough and varying levels of fatigue, which is my issue, but a lot of people also lose their sense of taste and smell (luckily I did not).  And again, this is common for most of the 80% mild cases. This is not close to talking about the issues that "long haulers" face and many do have permanent damage. So yes, only a very small percentage of people actually die but I just cannot stand when people compare this to any other virus. I hope they are ready to be tired and have obstacles for a month If they get a mild case. 

24 minutes ago, RobertSul said:

“We’re not going to control the pandemic.” — White House chief of staff Mark Meadows, Oct. 25, 2020.

Just another variation of taking no responsibility for the harm caused by the virus while at the same time trying to take credit for any breakthrough from the scientific community that they have denigrated during this administration's term in office.

"It is what it is"

Surprising for them to state their position so plainly right in the home stretch of the election. I guess with the numbers rising to record heights it's their only defense at this point.

9 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

Just another variation of taking no responsibility for the harm caused by the virus while at the same time trying to take credit for any breakthrough from the scientific community that they have denigrated during this administration's term in office.

"It is what it is"

Surprising for them to state their position so plainly right in the home stretch of the election. I guess with the numbers rising to record heights it's their only defense at this point.

I’m really disappointed that the party of “personal responsibility” has turned into “I take no responsibility” in just a few short years. It’s amazing the damage that a cult of personality can do in such a short amount of time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IWXwx said:

Strange, I have two friends who died, two more that almost didn't make it, and six more who had varying amounts of symptoms from mild coughs and shortness of breath to being hospitalized for an extended period of time.

Oh, and let's not forget our own Jackstraw, who is suffering from a serious case.

I know 7 or 8 people, but fortunately none became really seriously ill.  A friend in Louisiana was diagnosed last week.  She is doing ok but the sense of smell is like totally gone.  She was making dinner and couldn't smell an onion that was right in front of her face.  

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

I know 7 or 8 people, but fortunately none became really seriously ill.  A friend in Louisiana was diagnosed last week.  She is doing ok but the sense of smell is like totally gone.  She was making dinner and couldn't smell an onion that was right in front of her face.  

So many people report that and it lingers for months. I was fortunate to not have that. in fact on my sickest day I slept about 14 hours and I did not want to move and I had no appetite. I had to force myself to eat an apple and I remember it tasted so sweet and good I just did not want to eat it.

3 hours ago, RobertSul said:

“We’re not going to control the pandemic.” — White House chief of staff Mark Meadows, Oct. 25, 2020.

That's been clear since the pandemic started. You're not going to 'control' it unless you want to resort to draconian measures that are against the US Constitution or that will result in civil unrest or destruction of the economy/jobs, which will have a longer term impact. It never was about fully controlling it, it was always about slowing it down until a vaccine was available by giving guidance on best practices about public health measures that could be taken to reduce the risk of spread.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RobertSul said:

“We’re not going to control the pandemic.” — White House chief of staff Mark Meadows, Oct. 25, 2020

I'll go ahead and add the full quote.   This administration was in an impossible position, and has had ups and downs.

“We’re not going to control the pandemic. We are going to control the fact that we get vaccines, therapeutics and other mitigation efforts,”

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

I'll go ahead and add the full quote.   This administration was in an impossible position, and has had ups and downs.

“We’re not going to control the pandemic. We are going to control the fact that we get vaccines, therapeutics and other mitigation efforts,”

They are in a difficult position made borderline impossible by their inaction and failure at the start of this. Much of the developed world struggles...but some countries clearly had better approaches to keep it from becoming as dire. It was the strategy (or lack therof) at the beginning that put us in a worse position...so them now throwing up their hands and saying "eh, it is what it is" to try and absolve themselves from responsibility doesn't quite work, imo

• Like 4

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

They are in a difficult position made borderline impossible by their inaction and failure at the start of this. Much of the developed world struggles...but some countries clearly had better approaches to keep it from becoming as dire. It was the strategy (or lack therof) at the beginning that put us in a worse position...so them now throwing up their hands and saying "eh, it is what it is" to try and absolve themselves from responsibility doesn't quite work, imo

• Like 2

This was a big problem to deal with, and I don't think anybody would've handled it perfectly.  But even if you put aside the strategy/planning part, we have had frequent undermining of health officials from the top for months.  That is an objective fact.  It is easy to control your message.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

This was a big problem to deal with, and I don't think anybody would've handled it perfectly.  But even if you put aside the strategy/planning part, we have had frequent undermining of health officials from the top for months.  That is an objective fact.  It is easy to control your message.

A nationwide mask wearing plan would have been huge, but all we get is the same reminder of Fauci saying something back in March, even though he has said 100s times since the opposite. When you can't get past that collectively then you will never get anything done.

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

On 10/24/2020 at 3:18 PM, Hoosier said:

I don't want to get too far into politics, but honestly, Joe Biden will only be able to do so much if he wins.  From what I understand, it seems like a mask mandate probably cannot be enacted on a national level.  So it would come down to convincing the governors to change course, and then you need to enforce it and have the population buy in.  No easy task.  As far as I am concerned, the horse is kind of out of the barn on masks.  Maybe some people change their tune on masks if they get really sick or if someone close to them does, but that moves the needle at a snail's pace.  The virus is going to be a substantial problem for a while, and I hope that people aren't under the impression that a change in president would suddenly make it all better.  

Since you brought it up, sure he will be able to do alot, alot of damage to our economy with a mandated lockdown. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

20 minutes ago, Stebo said:

A nationwide mask wearing plan would have been huge, but all we get is the same reminder of Fauci saying something back in March, even though he has said 100s times since the opposite. When you can't get past that collectively then you will never get anything done.

So let's say we had federally mandated mask wearing....  How do you envision this being enforced?  Our law enforcement has enough to deal with already. 

Do you really think that would change the minds of those who aren't wearing masks now?  Stores here have mandated masks for months.   Let me guess, you think we should wear a mask in our cars and houses right?   

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, dta1984 said:

So let's say we had federally mandated mask wearing....  How do you envision this being enforced?  Our law enforcement has enough to deal with already. 

Do you really think that would change the minds of those who aren't wearing masks now?  Stores here have mandated masks for months.   Let me guess, you think we should wear a mask in our cars and houses right?   

When you have local law enforcement not enforcing this then we already have issues, and no you don't need to mask up in a car or your house. Why must everything be hyperbole to you guys?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Stebo said:

When you have local law enforcement not enforcing this then we already have issues, and no you don't need to mask up in a car or your house. Why must everything be hyperbole to you guys?

Law enforcement has plenty to deal with.  How will they enforce this?   

Who in the hell is you guys?  I am trying to understand why some need daddy government to make a mask mandate yet the local states already have them.  Stores enforce it here, what about there?   Maybe that is your issue given your posts about airport enforcement.  Quit deflecting. 

• Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, dta1984 said:

Law enforcement has plenty to deal with.  How will they enforce this?   

Who in the hell is you guys?  I am trying to understand why some need daddy government to make a mask mandate yet the local states already have them.  Stores enforce it here, what about there?   Maybe that is your issue given your posts about airport enforcement.  Quit deflecting. 

Stores aren't universally enforcing especially now that the mandate went away, and there was a restaurant at my work that just was full of people with no masks on. I am not deflecting shit, sorry I want safety over whatever bullshit you want.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Federally mask mandate is a non starter. Asking cops to enforce mask wearing especially in minority communities is just asking for trouble. The essential problem has always been the lack of leadership and the administration undermining public health and general science. CDC needs to be taking the front role and working with state health departments. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OSUmetstud said:

Federally mask mandate is a non starter. Asking cops to enforce mask wearing especially in minority communities is just asking for trouble. The essential problem has always been the lack of leadership and the administration undermining public health and general science. CDC needs to be taking the front role and working with state health departments. 

Yeah I don't mean a law, but at least messaging from the Feds. There is no messaging at all from the feds even to this point.

Spain announces new state of emergency as COVID infections soar

MADRID, Oct 25 (Reuters) - Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez announced a new state of emergency on Sunday in an effort to curb soaring coronavirus infections, imposing local nighttime curfews and banning travel between regions in some cases.

The measures go into force from Sunday night and will require all regions except the Canary Islands to impose a nighttime curfew and limit the number of people allowed to meet to six.

"We are living in an extreme situation ... it is the most serious health crisis in the last century," he told a news conference following a cabinet meeting.

https://news.trust.org/item/20201025140500-8md1q

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Stores aren't universally enforcing especially now that the mandate went away, and there was a restaurant at my work that just was full of people with no masks on. I am not deflecting shit, sorry I want safety over whatever bullshit you want.

I will say that everywhere I've been everyone has been good with wearing masks.

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

I will say that everywhere I've been everyone has been good with wearing masks.

I ran into the local Wal Mart this afternoon. Was there for less than 10 minutes and lost count at 53 the number of people without masks. I am estimating that 50% were maskless, and that's not counting the people wearing them improperly. No wonder Indiana numbers are skyrocketing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

I ran into the local Wal Mart this afternoon. Was there for less than 10 minutes and lost count at 53 the number of people without masks. I am estimating that 50% were maskless, and that's not counting the people wearing them improperly. No wonder Indiana numbers are skyrocketing.

Yikes.  My experience when going into places has been that almost everybody is wearing one (maybe I should check a Walmart for an apples to apples comparison :fever:) but some people definitely aren't wearing them properly.  

By the way, Lake county's daily case number was higher than Marion county today, so I can't imagine what it would be like if I routinely saw 50% of people not wearing masks.

10 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Weird. Here in Toledo I'd say it's like 1% that doesn't were a mask.  Actually, I was in Kroger just today and didn't see a single person without a mask.  We have very different Governors though.  DeWine has actually had a great balance.  

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Yikes.  My experience when going into places has been that almost everybody is wearing one (maybe I should check a Walmart for an apples to apples comparison :fever:) but some people definitely aren't wearing them properly.  

By the way, Lake county's daily case number was higher than Marion county today, so I can't imagine what it would be like if I routinely saw 50% of people not wearing masks.

I mentioned to my wife that I feel that it's demographics. What I mean is that whenever I go in early in the day, I noticed that about 80-90% are wearing masks. If I go in during the mid to late afternoon, the percentages drop by a lot. I have also noticed that during late afternoon, many more shoppers are younger.  I fell like there is a correlation of age determining the percentage of wearers.

3 hours ago, dta1984 said:

How many more months until a vaccine comes out? How are uninsured people going to get access to any of this after ACA is struck down? Long-term effects still aren’t fully understood, but let’s give up on trying to control the spread.

• Like 2