Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

18 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

The numbers today are extremely bad, +10k already from last Saturday. No sign of this surge showing down at all, actually looks like it may be accelerating.

Hopefully the labs will be able to handle the increasing test load.  I know there were some problems when the southern states surged bad in the summer.  Running about 1-1.2 million tests per day in the US.  What's going to happen if that goes up to 1.5 or 2 million?

6 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Hopefully the labs will be able to handle the increasing test load.  I know there were some problems when the southern states surged bad in the summer.  Running about 1-1.2 million tests per day in the US.  What's going to happen if that goes up to 1.5 or 2 million?

How many were tested yesterday?

4 hours ago, nwohweather said:

They also drove cars with Northern license plates haha. I’m sorry I live in a place now that people from the Midwest wish they did, and love visiting

Geez, with all the people in the Midwest desperate to live in South Carolina, there must be a very difficult and exclusive vetting process since the state has less than half the population of Illinois, Ohio and Michigan. 

How long did it take to complete the South Carolinian citizenship exam? Recommend any good study guides? 

• Haha 7

Obviously population and amount of testing have to be considered, but still, no country in the world has recorded 100,000 cases in a day.  India has had some days over 90k.  

Friday November 6 may be a good candidate for the US to have 100k, but regardless, it appears to be an inevitable occurrence rather soon at this point.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Obviously population and amount of testing have to be considered, but still, no country in the world has recorded 100,000 cases in a day.  India has had some days over 90k.  

Friday November 6 may be a good candidate for the US to have 100k, but regardless, it appears to be an inevitable occurrence rather soon at this point.

Honestly I would put it as early as late next week. We just recorded 82,000+ new cases on a Saturday. I got a feeling this country is about to some serious New York or Italy level crap all over in the next few weeks.

I definitely do not wish I lived in the south

Yeah not the most interesting place for a winter lover. Not to get too off topic but I so far have really loved it. Best climate I’ve ever been in. The humidity is insanity from June-August but today it’s 85/65 and after swimming & boating all day I’m sitting by a fire at the camper in a t shirt and shorts watching UM/Minnesota play with everyone bundled up lol.

I’ve lost 15 pounds since moving from Ohio just due to being outside and active physically so much more since leaving the Midwest. Everyday I either walk 9 holes, swim, kayak or bike 8 miles

8 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I don't want to get too far into politics, but honestly, Joe Biden will only be able to do so much if he wins.  From what I understand, it seems like a mask mandate probably cannot be enacted on a national level.  So it would come down to convincing the governors to change course, and then you need to enforce it and have the population buy in.  No easy task.  As far as I am concerned, the horse is kind of out of the barn on masks.  Maybe some people change their tune on masks if they get really sick or if someone close to them does, but that moves the needle at a snail's pace.  The virus is going to be a substantial problem for a while, and I hope that people aren't under the impression that a change in president would suddenly make it all better.  

I’m not saying a change at the top would make this go away - we’re too far in at this point. But perhaps a more unified approach from either party.  

it doesn’t help when the person in charge tells everyone to not let this run their lives and defy what has been proven to work.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RyanDe680 said:

Facebook groups have popped up for places defying the shutdown orders.  

if everyone wants to defy the orders then what’s their solution?

Pritzker sounds like he's willing to get serious, but we'll see.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/coronavirus/2020/10/22/21528871/illinois-covid-case-record-high-deaths-pritzker-restaurants-oct-22

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I do agree that I’d like more transparency as to why the sudden increase in infections and where they are attributed to.  I’ve seen conflicting reports on gyms, restaurants and the like.  

33 minutes ago, chuckster2012 said:

Strange, because I live in Indiana and haven't known anyone with Covid since March and no one who had died!

I'd say most people don't personally know someone who died.  So far it is something like one out every 1600 Indiana residents who have died.  

8 hours ago, nwohweather said:

Yeah not the most interesting place for a winter lover. Not to get too off topic but I so far have really loved it. Best climate I’ve ever been in. The humidity is insanity from June-August but today it’s 85/65 and after swimming & boating all day I’m sitting by a fire at the camper in a t shirt and shorts watching UM/Minnesota play with everyone bundled up lol.

I’ve lost 15 pounds since moving from Ohio just due to being outside and active physically so much more since leaving the Midwest. Everyday I either walk 9 holes, swim, kayak or bike 8 miles

Wow. To each their own.  For me personally, Having hotter and more humid summers than I already have, hardly getting any snow, and living in an area with very conservative people is just not my bag. But I am sure some people love it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I would say most people do not know someone personally who died but everyone has to know someone who's had covid or else theyre lying.

I know two personally who had it back in April-May. Both were in their 20s-30s neither were in hospital AFAIK but both had dry cough for 3-4  weeks

On 10/24/2020 at 12:43 AM, Stebo said:

I hope their liquor license is pulled and/or the health department shuts them down.

This late fall and winter will be a tough one. Despite others voicing the vast majority are following guidelines, I would argue a significant percentage have stopped or just find venues where they don't need to wear a mask. It falls right down political lines. In my mind your seeing the perfect storm of politics, a steady decades long erosion of  the American education system to excel in math and science based areas, and overall lack of community empathy when it infringes on their freedoms.  This virus in a sad way just isn't killing people at a high enough percentage for them to take it seriously. If you scan social media sights you can see how many people are "over it" so to speak.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chuckster2012 said:

Strange, because I live in Indiana and haven't known anyone with Covid since March and no one who had died!

Strange, I have two friends who died, two more that almost didn't make it, and six more who had varying amounts of symptoms from mild coughs and shortness of breath to being hospitalized for an extended period of time.

Oh, and let's not forget our own Jackstraw, who is suffering from a serious case.

3 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Strange, I have two friends who died, two more that almost didn't make it, and six more who had varying amounts of symptoms from mild coughs and shortness of breath to being hospitalized for an extended period of time.

Oh, and let's not forget our own Jackstraw, who is suffering from a serious case.

I did not realize. sending well wishes jackstraw!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Did he take a turn for the worse? I thought he was doing better during the summer.