Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

The restaurant downstairs in the terminal has about 50 people in it right now, every table full, mostly no masks on the patrons. No wonder this shit is exploding when you have carelessness to that magnitude.

I picked up dinner last night via carry out from a restaurant and noticed that the place was packed and the bar nearly full as was the last night for indoor before that was shut down.  Only people I saw wearing masks were the employees and those coming in and out for carry out.

I guess I dont understand - is this a "you cant tell me what to do" type scenario or do people just not care who gets sick?  I dont understand how this is all going down like it is and why.  Yes i know it has to do with gatherings and no distancing..  but why are people not adhering what is being recommended??  

3 hours ago, Stebo said:

The restaurant downstairs in the terminal has about 50 people in it right now, every table full, mostly no masks on the patrons. No wonder this shit is exploding when you have carelessness to that magnitude.

Already seeing restaurants and bars defying closing orders in the Chicago burbs

• Like 1

One thing I am curious about is hospitalizations bottomed out at about the same level (+/-1000 roughly) in June and September. Yet Average deaths were down to 550/day in June but didn't go below 700/day in September. Seems like too much of a difference to just be noise. Don't know why that ratio would be higher now.

4 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

One thing I am curious about is hospitalizations bottomed out at about the same level (+/-1000 roughly) in June and September. Yet Average deaths were down to 550/day in June but didn't go below 700/day in September. Seems like too much of a difference to just be noise. Don't know why that ratio would be higher now.

I think its increased death reporting delay...but I don't know for sure. 

26 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Whats scary is we are just getting started with the actual flu season. One has to wonder just how bad this will get

Bad

The good news is that we have control over just how bad it gets.  The bad news is that too many people aren't taking it seriously enough.  

The numbers are such that some of us here are going to lose a family member or friend to this virus this fall/winter.  There are reasons for optimism the deeper we get into 2021 but it's going to be rough.  Hopefully we at least have a good winter with lots of storm threats to help serve as a distraction.  A ratter winter on top of a pandemic would be bad for the psyche of the board.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Bad

The good news is that we have control over just how bad it gets.  The bad news is that too many people aren't taking it seriously enough.  

The numbers are such that some of us here are going to lose a family member or friend to this virus this fall/winter.  There are reasons for optimism the deeper we get into 2021 but it's going to be rough.  Hopefully we at least have a good winter with lots of storm threats to help serve as a distraction.  A ratter winter on top of a pandemic would be bad for the psyche of the board.

Hopefully a couple of blizzard of 78s:wub::snowing:B)

I didn't realize how much my county is spiking.  I mean, I knew, but we are putting up daily case numbers that are in line with Marion county (Indianapolis) despite having half of the population.

Not sure but I think Indianapolis still has the bar/restaurant capacity restrictions in place, so maybe that is why.  

4 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

We are going to hit 80k+ cases today!

France over 40k cases today (equivalent here of over 200k cases). Could get much worse here and probably will. Probably not entirely a coincidence that the cold weather so far has been focused over the northern Plains and Rockies, which is where the worst of the new outbreak is. Eventually it will come East. Hopefully all this tracking and tracing NY has put into place ends up being worth something in a couple months. 

7 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

France over 40k cases today (equivalent here of over 200k cases). Could get much worse here and probably will. Probably not entirely a coincidence that the cold weather so far has been focused over the northern Plains and Rockies, which is where the worst of the new outbreak is. Eventually it will come East. Hopefully all this tracking and tracing NY has put into place ends up being worth something in a couple months. 

Don't worry its a La Nina so the MA and the SE will be warm and snowless. 

• Haha 2

Guest ovweather

My niece's mother-in-law was diagnosed with Covid today and having some nasty symptoms. She is one of the anti-mask people and just a week ago had a family get together (my niece was smart enough not to attend). Wear a mask people! A mask won't kill you, but Covid might.

59 minutes ago, ovweather said:

My niece's mother-in-law was diagnosed with Covid today and having some nasty symptoms. She is one of the anti-mask people and just a week ago had a family get together (my niece was smart enough not to attend). Wear a mask people! A mask won't kill you, but Covid might.

I'm feeling so much better but still have a lingering cough. for me it was like an 8 day flu (oct 2-10) then once that resolved a cough and shortness of breath for a few days. still have a cough and some chest congestion. Moral of the story,  even when you have a mild case, minor things will linger for weeks. it can easily be 3-4 weeks before you feel totally better, and that's with a mild case. 

• Like 5

Guest ovweather
9 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I'm feeling so much better but still have a lingering cough. for me it was like an 8 day flu (oct 2-10) then once that resolved a cough and shortness of breath for a few days. still have a cough and some chest congestion. Moral of the story,  even when you have a mild case, minor things will linger for weeks. it can easily be 3-4 weeks before you feel totally better, and that's with a mild case. 

Good to hear you are getting better.

I had a nasty case of bacterial pneumonia in both lungs 16 years ago followed by pleurisy. I didn’t feel normal for a few months, but suffered no long term damage from the pneumonia / pleurisy. In fact, I was back to running a local half marathon race 4 months later at my normal pace. I did experience some slight lung scarring from the pleurisy that caused a bit of a tight feeling in my side, but that cleared up after a few years.

23 minutes ago, ovweather said:

Good to hear you are getting better.

I had a nasty case of bacterial pneumonia in both lungs 16 years ago followed by pleurisy. I didn’t feel normal for a few months, but suffered no long term damage from the pneumonia / pleurisy. In fact, I was back to running a local half marathon race 4 months later at my normal pace. I did experience some slight lung scarring from the pleurisy that caused a bit of a tight feeling in my side, but that cleared up after a few years.

wow, good for you running a marathon! I'm no doctor but from what I'm told my chest xray looks good for not having any long term damage. I had an xray earlier this week and it was much clearer than the Oct 8 one, but not 100% so I have one more Nov 19 to make sure all is clear. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

France will eventually get a handle since they are actually doing things to fight it back now, for us I’m afraid it’s up up and away for awhile.

Highest total of the pandemic today in France. Doesn't look like whatever they are doing is working so far.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

wow, good for you running a marathon! I'm no doctor but from what I'm told my chest xray looks good for not having any long term damage. I had an xray earlier this week and it was much clearer than the Oct 8 one, but not 100% so I have one more Nov 19 to make sure all is clear. 

Do you know where you contracted it from?

8 minutes ago, RyanDe680 said:

Do you know where you contracted it from?

I mask up everytime I'm in public and always have sanitizer. My personal guess? On Sept 24 a friend and I went to run an errand and dinner. He works at a restaurant, I work from home so he sees more people. Neither one of us had any symptoms of any kind. We even shared a drink. We both started feeling ill later the next week. we both tested positive Oct 2nd. Mine ended up worse than his (still mild). 

2 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I mask up everytime I'm in public and always have sanitizer. My personal guess? On Sept 24 a friend and I went to run an errand and dinner. He works at a restaurant, I work from home so he sees more people. Neither one of us had any symptoms of any kind. We even shared a drink. We both started feeling ill later the next week. we both tested positive Oct 2nd. Mine ended up worse than his (still mild). 

Crazy stuff.   I think we’ve all been there.  Glad to hear you’re on the mend.