Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

3 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

this. i have been up into different parts of wisconsin several times since the spring, and each time is no different...very few are following the restrictions and guidelines.

evers has his back against the wall, and there’s nothing he can do, given a large portion of the population wants him recalled there due to many reasons...one of which being how he has tried to put guidelines and restrictions in place.

Would agree with this. Spent time in Door County, Lake Pepin area, and near Green Lake over the summer. The more rural areas you wouldn't know covid exists

Uhh what do you call the Spring sir? Let’s be honest retail stores, dining and many other things were closed in the North for months. We have had all amenities open in the South since Mother’s Day with barely any restrictions other than a mask.

I mean heck the Big 10 hasn’t even started yet, while all Southern schools are playing games with fans and NASCAR has been running with fans for months

again, there have been restrictions and recommendations (many of which have not been enforced), which have changed with time...but there has not been a lockdown. we have still been able to freely leave our home and go about our day, do activities, pick up food from restaurants, pick up orders from stores, and more.

but there has never been a lockdown, and really none of the restrictions or recommendations have been truly enforced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chicago Storm said:

again, there have been restrictions and recommendations (many of which have not been enforced), which have changed with time...but there has not been a lockdown. we have still been able to freely leave our home and go about our day, do activities, pick up food from restaurants, pick up orders from stores, and more.

but there has never been a lockdown, and really none of the restrictions or recommendations have been truly enforced.

Yeah our "lockdown" was pretty tame compared to some other places.  I would say some other places went too extreme.

I don't remember the stay at home orders from spring being enforced to any great extent.  I do remember reading about some cases in which they would tack on a charge of violating the order if someone was pulled over for something else (like drunk driving), but generally speaking they weren't looking to pull people over for no reason.

2 hours ago, JoMo said:

German cases surged over 10k and it looks to be out of control. 

People are "hamstering" toilet paper again.

https://in.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-germany-hoarding/germans-start-hamstering-toilet-paper-again-as-covid-19-cases-surge-idUSKBN2770UB

Not just Germany, pretty much every county in Europe's is spiking rather hard, save for Finland and a couple other small countries.

2 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

Well this response is what fascinates me on this thread. I'm not arguing and I guess "lockdown" was the wrong word, but your restrictions were extreme compared to what I went through. Leave your home? Pick up food? Pick up orders? It's hard to relate to a world like that honestly.

Living in South Carolina, that sounds like a lockdown. What I'm saying is that is far more restrictive than anything I have seen in this region. Restaurants have been open with no capacity restrictions except in some localities since May, all retail stores have been wide open with no real capacity restrictions, sports are happening with people, beaches have been open and the only thing bars cannot do is serve past 11 PM. 

I'm not saying I fully agree with what the Southern states have done either, it's just hard to wrap my head around those sorts of restrictions considering we never really came close to that except in April. It's stunning talking to friends & family back home of how exhausted they seem with these rules, yet here in the South you don't really have that. People are just going about their day and wearing masks.

• Weenie 2

15 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Went to the store to buy some zinc and they were out of stock.  Every brand, every type, all gone.  I have taken a zinc supplement for years and can't recall it ever being out of stock.  I spoke to an employee and she said it has been gone for a while and she doesn't know when they will get more because of supply issues.

I haven't had to buy zinc since the pandemic began so not sure if it has been this way all these months or if it is a more recent problem.  Hopefully it won't be as hard to find as toilet paper was.

I take this - pretty quality

https://www.xymogen.com/formulas/products/5571

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Careful with that term :lol:

haha. I do think were tossing around the lockdown way too liberally. My friends that go to the gym and enjoy downtown night life say this "lockdown" sucks (both are heavily restricted currently). Since I do neither and I travel to the mall, grocery store, heading to a small wedding this weekend I respond with what lockdown? hahaha they get defensive fast. Lockdown and masks have certainly become very political and clear cut lines either your with us or against us mentality. 

1 hour ago, StormfanaticInd said:

We may get close to record territory today. Have to wonder which state is going to be the first to pull the trigger on lockdowns

Hawaii had it's first big wave of the virus in early August and we had a local "lockdown" which was really just a watered down stay at home order with most non essential businesses temporarily closed just like back in April. There were big differences though, the changes were applied to the island/county of Oahu only. We've passed the first threshold and started on the path toward reduced restrictions. The state has also simultaneously started a pretesting program for visitors to take a covid test and not require a 14 day quarantine.

So technically you could say we went back to "lockdown" but it was on a local level rather than a state level. And it was more of a stay at home type deal. We're also unique for obvious reasons being a bunch of islands with controlled gates of entry so I don't think the way this state handles things can be applied more broadly to how other states will respond.

I do think Wisconsin is the state with the most significant ongoing outbreak in terms of potential overrunning healthcare capacity and a need for more broad mitigating measures although the Dakota's aren't too far behind. I doubt there will be something like a stay at home in the Dakota's and Wisconsin has some challenges that are well publicized between the governor vs the legislature and judicial branch.

Hard to say what the best strategy is to respond to these outbreaks and surges that are stressing local hospital capacity. The stay at home worked here in Oahu, our numbers are way down and tourism has resumed which should help the economy so hopefully it'll end up being a win-win, time will tell.

• Like 1

Looking at state trends, Illinois and Texas are both a bit problematic:

Illinois had almost 5,000 cases today, hospitalizations up 50% in two weeks from 1650 to 2460. Texas has had 6,000+ cases past 2 days. El Paso in particular has major problems, 1800 cases in 2 days. Texas statewide Hospitalizations also up ~50% from 3200 to 4900 in 2 weeks, they didn't keep their numbers down for long after the summer spike. Of course many other states are also seeing hospital numbers jump. Indiana is at record hospital numbers etc. Only states keeps numbers from going completely haywire is CA and FL. cases/hospital numbers there have been pretty stable

7 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

Looking at state trends, Illinois and Texas are both a bit problematic:

Illinois had almost 5,000 cases today, hospitalizations up 50% in two weeks from 1650 to 2460. Texas has had 6,000+ cases past 2 days. El Paso in particular has major problems, 1800 cases in 2 days. Texas statewide Hospitalizations also up ~50% from 3200 to 4900 in 2 weeks, they didn't keep their numbers down for long after the summer spike. Of course many other states are also seeing hospital numbers jump. Indiana is at record hospital numbers etc. Only states keeps numbers from going completely haywire is CA and FL. cases/hospital numbers there have been pretty stable

Yeah it has been a sharp rise in the past 2-4 weeks in the states you mentioned. 

On September 22, IN had 759 hospitalizations.  On October 22, it has doubled to 1515.

IN population:  6.7 mil

IL pop:  12.6 mil

TX pop:  29 mil

Decent mask study (This is peer reviewed/published)

A cotton mask led to an approximately 20% to 40% reduction in virus uptake compared to no mask

In contrast, when a mask was attached to the mannequin that released virus, cotton and surgical masks blocked more than 50% of the virus transmission, whereas the N95 mask showed considerable protective efficacy (Fig. 2C). There was a synergistic effect when both the virus receiver and virus spreader wore masks (cotton masks or surgical masks) to prevent the transmission of infective droplets/aerosols (Fig. 2D and E).

https://msphere.asm.org/content/5/5/e00637-20#F2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, OSUmetstud said:

Decent mask study (This is peer reviewed/published)

A cotton mask led to an approximately 20% to 40% reduction in virus uptake compared to no mask

In contrast, when a mask was attached to the mannequin that released virus, cotton and surgical masks blocked more than 50% of the virus transmission, whereas the N95 mask showed considerable protective efficacy (Fig. 2C). There was a synergistic effect when both the virus receiver and virus spreader wore masks (cotton masks or surgical masks) to prevent the transmission of infective droplets/aerosols (Fig. 2D and E).

https://msphere.asm.org/content/5/5/e00637-20#F2

Good stuff... basically confirms what has been said about two way protection but more benefit in reducing outward transmission.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hoosier said:

After seeing that, we probably are headed for a single day case record tomorrow.

Looks like we are catching more cases compared to July at least with more testing and lower positive rates  and relative numbers of hospitalized/case ratio compared to then. Obviously the trends are still bad.

6 hours ago, dan11295 said:

Looks like we are catching more cases compared to July at least with more testing and lower positive rates  and relative numbers of hospitalized/case ratio compared to then. Obviously the trends are still bad.

Yes.  Now we are running 1 million tests or a bit more per day on most days, which is more than summer.  Nationwide, current hospitalizations are about 70% of peak hospitalizations in summer.

On another note... regarding halloween, it seems like towns around here are generally continuing with trick or treating as usual.  I sort of break it down into 3 categories of risk:

1) door to door trick or treating with a parent/child:  relatively low risk.  Face to face interactions are a one time thing and brief.  I guess the wild card is how much transmission can occur from touching contaminated objects and then the mouth (in this case candy wrappers) but this doesn't seem to be a major method of transmission.  Maybe the bigger concern would be a kid touching a contaminated wrapper and then rubbing their nose/eyes.

2) door to door trick or treating in larger groups:  more risk.  Face to face interactions at each house are still brief, but the group of people will be near each other for an extended period of time.  Outdoors helps of course.

3) indoor halloween parties.  Highest risk category for obvious reasons of people being indoors for a length of time.

That being said, still way more concerned about what happens with Thanksgiving if people hold their gatherings.

• Thanks 1