Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

3 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

Good news, and they point out that it's due to a number of reasons. 1) we know more now than in the spring, 2) more widely available treatment options, 3) more widespread wearing of masks reduces initial doses of the virus and 4) hospitals aren't overwhelmed (for now). They specifically point out that if hospitals become 100% saturated that numbers will go back up.

Every state in the Midwest has a rising percent positive case rate. Obviously, testing is increasing now because more people are getting sick. The percent positive case rate is also increasing on average at the national level and is now above 5%.

825006149_ScreenShot2020-10-21at9_48_40AM.thumb.png.62b4b58a22b1d70dbbeea1181696b253.png

1180692753_ScreenShot2020-10-21at9_51_45AM.thumb.png.c57462f48bfa1c05a653a19963e6b8d9.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, purduewx80 said:

Good news, and they point out that it's due to a number of reasons. 1) we know more now than in the spring, 2) more widely available treatment options, 3) more widespread wearing of masks reduces initial doses of the virus and 4) hospitals aren't overwhelmed (for now). They specifically point out that if hospitals become 100% saturated that numbers will go back up.

Every state in the Midwest has a rising percent positive case rate. Obviously, testing is increasing now because more people are getting sick. The percent positive case rate is also increasing on average at the national level and is now above 5%.

825006149_ScreenShot2020-10-21at9_48_40AM.thumb.png.62b4b58a22b1d70dbbeea1181696b253.png

1180692753_ScreenShot2020-10-21at9_51_45AM.thumb.png.c57462f48bfa1c05a653a19963e6b8d9.png

As far as knowing more now than in spring, one thing that comes to mind is ventilators and how the harm outdoes the benefit sometimes.

Out of curiosity, I went back through the hospital data archives for Indiana and you can see the downward trend in ventilator use.  I am assuming that being on a ventilator for covid-19 means that a person is also in the ICU.  Looking at the ICU and ventilator numbers, the percentage of patients on ventilator in the ICU was around or even sometimes well over 50% back in April.  On October 20, it was about 34% (141 out of 412 on a ventilator in ICU).

• Like 1

I would also like to point out that before this Wisconsin was 43rd in deaths per capita out of all states so it had been doing well keeping cases and deaths low.  Out of all states for an outbreak to currently occur in, it makes sense that it's happening in Wisconsin.

Interesting to see the numbers spike in the Midwest while Southern states are at their lowest numbers since May. It's clear the strict lockdowns that Northern states imposed has led to serious fatigue within the populace. On phone calls with friends, family and co-workers there just seems to be a level of exhaustion at how things have gone up there with this. Meanwhile I'd say things are better than they have been in a while for the Carolinas. Tourism has simmered down and people are doing a good job of wearing masks in public. 

• Weenie 2

40 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Interesting to see the numbers spike in the Midwest while Southern states are at their lowest numbers since May. It's clear the strict lockdowns that Northern states imposed has led to serious fatigue within the populace. On phone calls with friends, family and co-workers there just seems to be a level of exhaustion at how things have gone up there with this. Meanwhile I'd say things are better than they have been in a while for the Carolinas. Tourism has simmered down and people are doing a good job of wearing masks in public. 

This may have been part of Europe's problem as well regarding the fatigue issue. In general they were more strict with their lockdowns in the spring than anything in the U.S. They got their numbers very low (unlike the U.S.) and got complacent. Regarding Wisconsin, they (and the Dakotas as well), were at higher risk for a surge due to lower percentage of the population being exposed compared to the deep south and northeast. The North Dakota situation in particular shows that having a lower population density only protects you so much. I am sure many people there thought "it's never going to be a problem here",

49 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

I would say its more the fact that people never really followed lockdowns at all outside of like April and that fact has now massively screwed us over. Also doesnt help when your governonr can't do anything without the legislature and the tavern league killing it in court.

• Like 2

There's multiple variables but I do think the change in weather is playing a role in the dramatic rising numbers in the northern states.  People need to consider modifying their behavior to really get the numbers down.  In those states, you may have been able to get away with going to the bar or having a gathering before, but now it's more likely you are going to encounter somebody who is carrying the virus.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Multiple brief exposures to an infected person can be a problem

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6943e1.htm#contribAff

I think people forget how nature works sometimes.  You could get Covid from someone being by them for 1 minute.  The odds are much lower than 15 minutes but its still there.  Just like there's no magic barrier at 6 feet.  Sure it goes down further away from that but its not like there's a magical barrier where someone 7 feet away can't give you covid.

3 minutes ago, madwx said:

I think people forget how nature works sometimes.  You could get Covid from someone being by them for 1 minute.  The odds are much lower than 15 minutes but its still there.  Just like there's no magic barrier at 6 feet.  Sure it goes down further away from that but its not like there's a magical barrier where someone 7 feet away can't give you covid.

Indeed.  The risk ought to be thought of as a continuum.  

If you are 10 feet away from an infected person in a relatively small/enclosed area for 2 hours, there's a significant chance of contracting it (especially if no masks).

38 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

There's multiple variables but I do think the change in weather is playing a role in the dramatic rising numbers in the northern states.  People need to consider modifying their behavior to really get the numbers down.  In those states, you may have been able to get away with going to the bar or having a gathering before, but now it's more likely you are going to encounter somebody who is carrying the virus.  

The colder drier air settling in across the northern states definitely is a factor. The viral transmission of covid and other coronaviruses for that matter spread more readily in these conditions. Lower humidity and cooler temperatures keep the virus stable longer along with driving people indoors to share the same air.Hence more colds in general over the winter months.Probably responsible in part to surges seen in Europe also.

again, there never was a lockdown...just restrictions. and the main problem now is the changing weather. i have seen no changes in regards to anyone’s habits...there has and continues to be a large amount that follow the restrictions and a large amount that do not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I would say its more the fact that people never really followed lockdowns at all outside of like April and that fact has now massively screwed us over. Also doesnt help when your governonr can't do anything without the legislature and the tavern league killing it in court.

this. i have been up into different parts of wisconsin several times since the spring, and each time is no different...very few are following the restrictions and guidelines.

evers has his back against the wall, and there’s nothing he can do, given a large portion of the population wants him recalled there due to many reasons...one of which being how he has tried to put guidelines and restrictions in place.

• Like 1

Went to the store to buy some zinc and they were out of stock.  Every brand, every type, all gone.  I have taken a zinc supplement for years and can't recall it ever being out of stock.  I spoke to an employee and she said it has been gone for a while and she doesn't know when they will get more because of supply issues.

I haven't had to buy zinc since the pandemic began so not sure if it has been this way all these months or if it is a more recent problem.  Hopefully it won't be as hard to find as toilet paper was.

23 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Does the rollback carry any fine for those places or is it pretty much toothless?

I heard Pritzker has stated he could pull their liquor licenses if there are blatant multiple violations. Not sure that will happen. They really need a federal bail out for the restaurant/bar industry like they did for the airlines.

• Like 1

I heard Pritzker has stated he could pull their liquor licenses if there are blatant multiple violations. Not sure that will happen. They really need a federal bail out for the restaurant/bar industry like they did for the airlines.

and I have not heard that they’ve actually done that to any business that hasn’t fully complied during this whole thing (most have complied though). so I’m not sure it will happen now.

again, there never was a lockdown...just restrictions. and the main problem now is the changing weather. i have seen no changes in regards to anyone’s habits...there has and continues to be a large amount that follow the restrictions and a large amount that do not.

Uhh what do you call the Spring sir? Let’s be honest retail stores, dining and many other things were closed in the North for months. We have had all amenities open in the South since Mother’s Day with barely any restrictions other than a mask.

I mean heck the Big 10 hasn’t even started yet, while all Southern schools are playing games with fans and NASCAR has been running with fans for months

• Weenie 1