Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

26 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

full 6 month total lockdown, 2k a month for all

Do you think things through and realize there are side effects to this?  Yes, 2k a month might sound great to you, but the consequences aren't worth it.  Mental health issues, domestic abuse, child abuse, substance abuse etc goes up.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

8 minutes ago, Stebo said:

There are thousands of people coming through this airport daily, so yes I am paranoid that an outbreak could happen here. Its sad that you see this as no big deal.

Please show me where I said that? You are putting words in my mouth. I'm cautious like everyone else -- I wear a mask, etc. You are so far down the rabbit hole of fear. Perhaps you have health problems I don't know.  

• Like 2
  • Weenie 4

Just now, NEOH said:

Please show me where I said that? You are putting words in my mouth. I'm cautious like everyone else -- I wear a mask, etc. You are so far down the rabbit hole of fear. Perhaps you have health problems I don't know.  

Sorry you didn't actually say it, you just imply it as loudly as possible.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Only about 10% of the US has been infected. And all the information for vaccine development has been quite favorable...we might be only months away from widespread implementation (early 2021). It will only infect everyone if the vaccine took a few more years to develop imo. If it's here in the Spring, herd immunity will not have to be achieved through natural infection. 

Besides, there are advantages to slowing down infection, like better treatments, and less overwhelmed hospitals. So restrictions do prevent covid deaths. 

Fully agree on that point. People are talking about lockdown's again though. Sure wish I could record some of the conversations I have with the Cleveland Clinic docs. Their perspectives on this are very enlightening. So my thoughts/perspectives on COVID are not shaped by what I read on the internet. 

• Weenie 2

Just now, NEOH said:

Fully agree on that point. People are talking about lockdown's again though. Sure wish I could record some of the conversations I have with the Cleveland Clinic docs. Their perspectives on this are very enlightening. So my thoughts/perspectives on COVID are not shaped by what I read on the internet. 

I think at this point, unless it gets crazy bad, targeted restrictions have shown to work (like closing bars and large, indoor events, and reducing restaurant capacity. I think you need to have regional-type lockdowns in your bag of tricks for the coming winter in case things go really sideways and hospitals are on the verge of getting overwhelmed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Only about 10% of the US has been infected. And all the information for vaccine development has been quite favorable...we might be only months away from widespread implementation (early 2021). It will only infect everyone if the vaccine took a few more years to develop imo. If it's here in the Spring, herd immunity will not have to be achieved through natural infection. 

Besides, there are advantages to slowing down infection, like better treatments, and less overwhelmed hospitals. So restrictions do prevent covid deaths. 

The unfortunate reality is heading to the movies,going out to eat,  having private get togethers with friends at your house, and going to sporting events can't wait another 3-4 months. Americans have determined that .4% of the population is worth sacrificing to keep these precious liberties. This isn't about going to work, or even opening schools if masks and safety protocols are in place. Apparently the overall mental health of America is dependent on entertainment activities being available now. Heck even flying may become reasonably safe if they start rapid testing passengers as a screening process

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cary67 said:

The unfortunate reality is heading to the movies,going out to eat,  having private get togethers with friends at your house, and going to sporting events can't wait another 3-4 months. Americans have determined that .4% of the population is worth sacrificing to keep these precious liberties. This isn't about going to work, or even opening schools if masks and safety protocols are in place. Apparently the overall mental health of America is dependent on entertainment activities being available now. Heck even flying may become reasonably safe if they start rapid testing passengers as a screening process

I don't buy that most people are being selfish and unreasonable. If they were, the pandemic would be raging completely out of control with 1000s of deaths a day. The transmission rate doesn't suggest that most people are acting like that. They are just a very loud minority. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stebo said:

There are thousands of people coming through this airport daily, so yes I am paranoid that an outbreak could happen here. Its sad that you see this as no big deal.

Not everyone has to live in total fear to act like the virus is a big deal.   I don't recall anyone in this thread saying they don't follow restrictions. We are presenting debate, and not always believing what we are fed by media.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

14 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Not everyone has to live in total fear to act like the virus is no big deal.   I don't recall anyone in this thread saying they don't follow restrictions. We are presenting debate, and not always believing what we are fed by media.  

The debate you are having is to not follow restrictions or take it seriously. What does the media have to do with hard numbers presented in this thread. It is a gross indoctrination to view media as the problem when presented with literal facts and hard numbers. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

I don't buy that most people are being selfish and unreasonable. If they were, the pandemic would be raging completely out of control with 1000s of deaths a day. The transmission rate doesn't suggest that most people are acting like that. They are just a very loud minority. 

I think a high enough percentage of people are living their lives to keep the baseline level of infection to the point you are seeing the surges this fall. Private gatherings,club sports, along with activities that drive the spread like indoor dining and bars. For an example, Pritzker is considering adding restrictions to our area for restaurants etc. One of my friends upon learning this stated he was going out everyday to eat till then. In June restaurants were sparsely populated with indoor diners, today they are packed in my suburb area.

If I, personally, claim that I don't like fingers in my butt, but openly suggest that all people with nice butts put fingers in theirs, then I am clearly in favor of people having fingers in their butts. Either grow a pair and mean what you say or just stop. It's so hard to actually say shit on here because every time someone tries to, you just say "STOP PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH". The words may not be in your mouth but if they're tattooed on your forehead, then it's fair game dawg. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

If I, personally, claim that I don't like fingers in my butt, but openly suggest that all people with nice butts put fingers in theirs, then I am clearly in favor of people having fingers in their butts. Either grow a pair and mean what you say or just stop. It's so hard to actually say shit on here because every time someone tries to, you just say "STOP PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH". The words may not be in your mouth but if they're tattooed on your forehead, then it's fair game dawg. 

I mean, wtf is this "dawg"?   I have no clue who you're referring to, but if it's me, sure there are measures I certainly disagree with.   Doesn't mean I don't follow and comply with restrictions where needed.   You do realize you can disagree with something, yet still perform the said task right?  You should question and not follow blindly.   Weren't you going to stick your fingers in a socket or something a few pages back?

9 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

I mean, wtf is this "dawg"?   I have no clue who you're referring to, but if it's me, sure there are measures I certainly disagree with.   Doesn't mean I don't follow and comply with restrictions where needed.   You do realize you can disagree with something, yet still perform the said task right?  You should question and not follow blindly.   Weren't you going to stick your fingers in a socket or something a few pages back?

The chances of me sticking my fingers in a socket increase every time I read one of your comments. Yes, I do realize that you can disagree with something and still do it. What I want to know is what exactly am I supposed to be questioning? What do you think, exactly, that I just sit here and drool onto my desk and listen to everything? Cause that's not the case. What I choose to question are people who deny the truth of science. I really am rather confused by all of your comments about "following blindly". What big hoax am I unaware of that you're not? 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

That dude has completely lost it. Lunatic! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Fellow Hoosiers...

Here was Gov Holcomb response when asked about the surging cases/hospitalizations...

We asked Governor Eric Holcomb what it would take to reverse Phase 5, but the response wasn’t exactly clear. 

“We have the capacity to care. So, when that starts to become threatened, that capacity to care, then we’ll look at additional measures,” said Governor Holcomb (R).

https://fox59.com/news/experts-say-indianas-surge-in-covid-19-cases-positivity-rates-and-hospitalizations-concerns-us/amp/

So the question with that is what are the trigger points?  How low would hospital bed availability have to get?  Also, some areas of the state will run into trouble faster than others, so is it up to the local/county leaders to be on top of it and pull the trigger on restrictions?

28 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Fellow Hoosiers...

Here was Gov Holcomb response when asked about the surging cases/hospitalizations...

We asked Governor Eric Holcomb what it would take to reverse Phase 5, but the response wasn’t exactly clear. 

“We have the capacity to care. So, when that starts to become threatened, that capacity to care, then we’ll look at additional measures,” said Governor Holcomb (R).

https://fox59.com/news/experts-say-indianas-surge-in-covid-19-cases-positivity-rates-and-hospitalizations-concerns-us/amp/

So the question with that is what are the trigger points?  How low would hospital bed availability have to get?  Also, some areas of the state will run into trouble faster than others, so is it up to the local/county leaders to be on top of it and pull the trigger on restrictions?

Yikes, good luck Indiana.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

Pritzker imposed restrictions on four collar Chicago counties as of Friday. No indoor dining/bars and limited gatherings to 25. 

You know what's going to happen, right?  Some of those people are just going to go to Cook county, which for now is still going to have indoor dining/bars.

Interesting article here.  Pritzker and Lightfoot are saying different things about the bars.  Chicago is saying there isn't much spread coming from bars, while Pritzker says it is a significant source of spread in Illinois, and they are generally regarded as one of the highest risk places.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/10/20/bars-linked-to-coronavirus-spread-across-illinois-state-officials-say-after-city-defends-indoor-service/

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

You know what's going to happen, right?  Some of those people are just going to go to Cook county, which for now is still going to have indoor dining/bars.

Interesting article here.  Pritzker and Lightfoot are saying different things about the bars.  Chicago is saying there isn't much spread coming from bars, while Pritzker says it is a significant source of spread in Illinois, and they are generally regarded as one of the highest risk places.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/10/20/bars-linked-to-coronavirus-spread-across-illinois-state-officials-say-after-city-defends-indoor-service/

Wouldn't be surprised to see Lightfoot impose restrictions also. They are concerned with case numbers up to 500/day in the city. My county Mchenry on the verge of restrictions too. Positivity around 7-9%