• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

Thanksgiving, and especially the post-Thanksgiving period, is a looming disaster if people don't get creative with how to celebrate it or outright cancel plans.  Particularly concerned about rural areas as they don't have as many medical resources to deal with outbreaks, and the advantage of being rural gets lost when gathering in groups.

Some people will cancel the big gatherings with extended family, but I have a feeling that it will be replaced by a lot of 5-10 person gatherings.  These are not as bad as larger ones in that you can't get 20+ people sick all at once, but the smaller gatherings are plenty capable of causing spread. 

40 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Thanksgiving, and especially the post-Thanksgiving period, is a looming disaster if people don't get creative with how to celebrate it or outright cancel plans.  Particularly concerned about rural areas as they don't have as many medical resources to deal with outbreaks, and the advantage of being rural gets lost when gathering in groups.

Some people will cancel the big gatherings with extended family, but I have a feeling that it will be replaced by a lot of 5-10 person gatherings.  These are not as bad as larger ones in that you can't get 20+ people sick all at once, but the smaller gatherings are plenty capable of causing spread. 

They advised us to only have Thanksgiving with our own household this year and it sounds like most people listened. But we'll see in two weeks is the "run-away train" they warned will happen actually happens 

5 hours ago, Angrysummons said:

lol, somebody got owned. Bars/Eatery's simply are mass spreaders masks or no masks because you have to take them off. Its a large part of why Covid won't go away. Now viral loads are increasing and people will stay insides more.

I am not disputing the benefits of mask wearing. Was looking for an explanation as to why the non mask crowd was trying to spin this into a rationalization to not wear them.

• Weenie 1

27 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

I am not disputing the benefits of mask wearing. Was looking for an explanation as to why the non mask crowd was trying to spin this into a rationalization to not wear them.

Because their argument is that "masks don't work". And when a study comes along that shows that 85% of people who got the virus were frequent mask wearers then that just gives them ammo to say 'I told you so'. Dr. Fauci mentioned at one time that masks provide a false sense of security, so people who wear them are less likely to social distance, less likely to frequently wash their hands, and more likely to touch their face to adjust the mask. I find this to be mostly true, which only increases the risk of obtaining the virus.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JoMo said:

Because their argument is that "masks don't work". And when a study comes along that shows that 85% of people who got the virus were frequent mask wearers then that just gives them ammo to say 'I told you so'. Dr. Fauci mentioned at one time that masks provide a false sense of security, so people who wear them are less likely to social distance, less likely to frequently wash their hands, and more likely to touch their face to adjust the mask. I find this to be mostly true, which only increases the risk of obtaining the virus.

Agree with the bolded part

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

I dont agree with the premise. I understand opportunity cost but people who are wearing masks are also more likely careful and follow other public health guidance. The people who are not wearing masks are more likely to not be following other public health guidance. 

Well, you have people that don't really want to wear a mask, but have to do so because it's mandated where they live. Those people aren't as likely to properly wear a mask, because they don't really want to for whatever reason. People who are wearing masks also tend to think that the masks protect them and they don't have to do the other public health procedures. There seems to be a misunderstanding in that the masks aren't magical, and simply lower the risk of transmission. 

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, JoMo said:

Well, you have people that don't really want to wear a mask, but have to do so because it's mandated where they live. Those people aren't as likely to properly wear a mask, because they don't really want to for whatever reason. People who are wearing masks also tend to think that the masks protect them and they don't have to do the other public health procedures. There seems to be a misunderstanding in that the masks aren't magical, and simply lower the risk of transmission. 

I havent seen any evidence of this. 

Anti mask is associated with anti science and anti vax type thinking. 

Public health folks, research, and the majority of scientists are suggesting mask use. The preponderance of evidence is that they are effective at slowing down transmission. I agree on the not magic thing. Its amazing thats it october and this is still being politicized. It's ****ing exasperating and people's lives are on the line. 

25 minutes ago, JoMo said:

Also would think those who don't want to wear masks but do so only in mandated areas also try to find venues wear they don't have to wear them. ie restaurants, bars, and having people over privately.

4 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

Also would think those who don't want to wear masks but do so only in mandated areas also try to find venues wear they don't have to wear them. ie restaurants, bars, and having people over privately.

That's a very good point as well. People still have parties, people still get together privately, and most of the time those people don't wear masks. There also seems to be a blind spot when it comes to extended family members outside of the house. It seems like people think that other family members won't infect them so there's no need to take any precautions, but a stranger at Wal-Mart wearing a mask and practicing all the precautions will. It's just really strange and part of an optimism bias when it comes to family I guess. 

10 hours ago, Cary67 said:

Any thoughts on the supposed study by the CDC that 85% of  habitual mask wearers contracted Covid anyways. Seems to be another reason for anti maskers to be up in arms 

Fact check: Trump falsely claims that 85% of people who wear masks get coronavirus

Facts First: Trump’s claim is false. A CDC study released in September, did not say that 85% of people who wear masks get infected with coronavirus. In fact, it did not even attempt to figure out what percentage of people who wear a mask get infected with the coronavirus. 

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/us-election-town-halls-10-15-20/h_805f8612cf382dcc456d2d91bae7cbff

Get a better source for your information than the president.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nine months into this pandemic and there's still a lot we don't know.  So many factors influence the spread of COVID-19, yet we all have a tendency to either wholly embrace or completely disregard the importance of any such factor depending on our biases.  For example at this point I've heard it said that:

• Masks obviously don't work because of the new case surge (even though their ability to arrest droplets is beyond doubt)
  • Masks work but the people are at fault for succumbing to lockdown fatigue (even though nearly all temperate NH states/countries are surging simultaneously)
  • Cross-reactive T-cell immunity means herd immunity is almost here
  • Cross-reactive T-cell immunity must be a myth (even though it is now well documented)
  • The POTUS is to be blamed for the new surge in cases (in Europe too?)
  • The POTUS can't be held responsible for any pandemic outcome (but is he not in charge?)

I think there's at least a grain of truth in each one of these statements.  But the question is how much?  And how does this influence individual and authority action?

Personally, I would let people take responsibility for their own health, and end all public health measures, save those which spread information about risk reduction.  I understood the need for lockdown in the spring but now public health measures are really starting to take a severe social and economic toll, that in my estimation now outweigh the physical toll to be caused by the virus.  But that's just in my biased estimation.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ikcarsky said:

Nine months into this pandemic and there's still a lot we don't know.  So many factors influence the spread of COVID-19, yet we all have a tendency to either wholly embrace or completely disregard the importance of any such factor depending on our biases.  For example at this point I've heard it said that:

• Masks obviously don't work because of the new case surge (even though their ability to arrest droplets is beyond doubt)
  • Masks work but the people are at fault for succumbing to lockdown fatigue (even though nearly all temperate NH states/countries are surging simultaneously)
  • Cross-reactive T-cell immunity means herd immunity is almost here
  • Cross-reactive T-cell immunity must be a myth (even though it is now well documented)
  • The POTUS is to be blamed for the new surge in cases (in Europe too?)
  • The POTUS can't be held responsible for any pandemic outcome (but is he not in charge?)

I think there's at least a grain of truth in each one of these statements.  But the question is how much?  And how does this influence individual and authority action?

Personally, I would let people take responsibility for their own health, and end all public health measures, save those which spread information about risk reduction.  I understood the need for lockdown in the spring but now public health measures are really starting to take a severe social and economic toll, that in my estimation now outweigh the physical toll to be caused by the virus.  But that's just in my biased estimation.

Cross reactive t cells are not a myth. Its just being characterized in way thats incorrect. I already posted some links to one of the researchers involved in these studies. They may offer some protection from severe disease but they don't prevent infection or change the herd immunity threshold. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

O’Hare is busier then I’ve ever seen it. Covid cancel. 

That's good to hear. Now that the virus has weeded out the weak from the herd we can get back to traveling :). I haven't traveled at all since February... most of my travel was business related any way. Since its Friday its probably a lot of leisure travel which is surprising. 

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, NEOH said:

That's good to hear. Now that the virus has weeded out the weak from the herd we can get back to traveling :). I haven't traveled at all since February... most of my travel was business related any way. Since its Friday its probably a lot of leisure travel which is surprising. 

Wtf is wrong with people? Why are you posting here?

• Like 2