Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

1 hour ago, NEOH said:

Lol. Take a closer look at this thread... It is a giant echo chamber for the left. Who isn't wearing a mask anywhere that requires them? The "right" hasn't caused more sick and dead Americans. The sad fact (not counting the elderly) is that a lot of the deaths are self-inflicted by poor lifestyle choices that have lead to pre-existing conditions. People have been warned for years about the health dangers of obesity, hypertension, diabetes etc. In most cases, it comes down to the ability to control what goes from your hand to your mouth. Too bad more Americans didn't listen or possess self control.  Time for people to take some personal responsibility for their health. Or maybe people should just wait for the President to tweet that its important to lead a healthy lifestyle?

This thread has consistently avoided the politics of covid up until the president got sick with the virus. I can't speak for the last few pages because inevitably politics have become a major point of discussion. 

It is very very very very very telling that an apolitical discussion about what is happening with the virus to you is a "giant echo chamber for the left". You've got some serious blinders on my friend. 

• Like 1

The lack of contact tracing is grossly negligent, not everyone in the White House is a politician. You have general public workers in there as well and they are potentially being endangered because the right still doesn't believe this to be serious as they all get sick in the process. I'm sorry to make this political but it is seriously negligence what they are currently doing right now within the Trump Administration.

As for pandemic fatigue, imagine being someone who has been doing the right thing for 6 months now, and hearing that someone can't do the right thing for a couple weeks. That is just wholly ridiculous. People want everything open but won't do any of the precautions and then complain when nothing ends up being open. Its a vicious circle of ignorance.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

This thread has consistently avoided the politics of covid up until the president got sick with the virus. I can't speak for the last few pages because inevitably politics have become a major point of discussion. 

It is very very very very very telling that an apolitical discussion about what is happening with the virus to you is a "giant echo chamber for the left". You've got some serious blinders on my friend. 

You really need to re read some of the thread then, it's very telling where the finger pointing is coming from. 

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

You really need to re read some of the thread then, it's very telling where the finger pointing is coming from. 

You're right, it probably is. Because, whether you're willing to admit it or not, one side of the room is right, and one side is wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OSUmetstud said:

Exactly. I posted three examples of prominent Republicans, including the president, undermining public health via mask use. The response I receive is none of that matters because americans are unhealthy. We live in a world where Americans rightly or wrongly look to the president, other politicians, and pundits for guidance. These people have millions of followers and supporters. They've made things worse. 

So you can't take a step back and actually see that it is a valid point on how unhealthy the country is and just maybe that does contribute?   

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, JoMo said:

Oh, I'm not against masks and I wear one when I'm in large groups of people (which I usually avoid). I also seem to be the only person that actually socially distances in Joplin.  I'm giving you a reason as to why the messaging became muddled and why people got confused about it. Add in the fact that we are now 7 months into the pandemic and people seem to be "over it". 

Agreed.  I tried to make this statement yesterday, some people just don't want to hear it or lack comprehension. 

• Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

So you can't take a step back and actually see that it is a valid point on how unhealthy the country is and just maybe that does contribute?   

Even if that is the case, mask wearing is more preventative than anything right now for the general public. It is very obvious which side of the fence those who deny masks or both sides the discussion. Do you see anyone against wearing masks from the left?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

He literally said it contributes. Possibly the very first thing that was concluded about COVID was that if you're obese, or whatever else, then you're likely going to have a harder time with the virus. But what you are suggesting -that Trump should talk about dietary improvements, etc.- is asinine as all hell. What's Trump going to do? Put a link to Weight Watchers in a tweet? How on Earth can losing weight, if you are a chronically obese individual, be compared to looping a piece of fabric around your ears when you're in public? If every single overweight person in America, hypothetically, were to start hardcore dieting today, it would likely be at least a year before the majority of them start to approach safe weights. Compare that, to, wearing a mask. One is an instantaneous solution, that one can do TODAY. the other is something that you can achieve over the course of several months, or likely even years, by which time hopefully this disease will no longer be so relevant. 

Furthermore, being obese affects you and only you. Wearing a mask, and practicing social distancing prevents you from giving the disease to others, regardless of how badly it affects you. THAT's what's important. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Even if that is the case, mask wearing is more preventative than anything right now for the general public. It is very obvious which side of the fence those who deny masks or both sides the discussion. Do you see anyone against wearing masks from the left?

Does Pelosi count :lol:?

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

You're kidding right?  You don't remember the news story about the hair salon?  https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pelosi-san-francisco-hair-salon-owner-calls-it-slap-in-the-face

You mean that setup done by the salon owner that immediately cried poverty when she got backlash for her setup. Yeah that wasn't on the up and up, but sure if you want to count that one instance, I will point to the mountain of evidence on the other side. This is the proof I am talking about you guys get fixated on one thing just like saying Fauci said masks weren't necessary 6 months ago, that has changed since then but you guys refuse to give up something 6 months old.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

You're kidding right?  You don't remember the news story about the hair salon?  https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pelosi-san-francisco-hair-salon-owner-calls-it-slap-in-the-face

Dude. You're comparing an extremely fishy story of her being in a hair salon with like one or two other people, to public officials going out and telling everyone that the virus isn't serious. What's the comparison you're trying to make? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

Dude. You're comparing an extremely fishy story of her being in a hair salon with like one or two other people, to public officials going out and telling everyone that the virus isn't serious. What's the comparison you're trying to make? 

Seriously, I made a laughing face when I mentioned her name.  You need to chill. 

• Weenie 2

I literally just mentioned yesterday that i stay out of this thread for the most part but I have to comment on our presidents theatrics again today. He is already back to down playing it, telling how the flu is worse and of course not wearing a mask. I find it amusing that our obese 74 yr old president caught his hoax virus so bad that he had to be taken to a hospital with round the clock care & oxygen and now a few days later he has recovered to feel "better than hes felt in 20 years". Even though most younger healthy people who catch a much more mild form feel effects of the virus for 2 weeks. I started symptoms before trump, never had anything close to needing oxygen or hospitalisation, and yet I still feel blah, tired, and slightly feverish. 

• Like 2

The toothpaste is out of the tube as far as masks.  I don't know how you change that anti-mask attitude at this point.  That is just one part of the problem though.

Pandemic fatigue is a real thing.  There were signs of it a couple weeks into this thing, and here we are many months into it.  I think it is exacerbated by modern society for various reasons.     

You are not safe if you gather in a group of 4.  Or even 3, or 2, if it happens to be the wrong person.  Safer than a larger group, but not safe.  It is a lot to ask people to give up all in person social interaction, but as long as it happens, it is a way to spread the virus especially if you're not wearing a mask.

As far as a vaccine, there is a lot of mistrust with that.  In fact, this may end up being the least trusted vaccine that we have seen in a long time in this country.  Even if we are optimistic and say the vaccine will be effective at a rate of 70-90%, the impact will only be so much if less than half of the country gets it.  

Maybe we will see better treatments come out over time.  Actually, I would expect that.  But as far as putting an end to this pandemic, I don't really see it anytime soon, especially in the United States.   

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

As for pandemic fatigue, imagine being someone who has been doing the right thing for 6 months now, and hearing that someone can't do the right thing for a couple weeks. That is just wholly ridiculous. People want everything open but won't do any of the precautions and then complain when nothing ends up being open. Its a vicious circle of ignorance.

Couple of weeks? I don't know about you, but I remember when we shut the country down for 15 days to "slow the spread".... That was what, about 7 months ago? People started blaming those who weren't staying home or wearing masks for all the problems. We have had massive loss of businesses and turned the entire country upside down and while it has prevented loss of life, it's done a massive amount of economic damage. You're not going to be able to lock everyone in their homes for a few months. You aren't going to be able to shut down the entire country for months, that's just not happening. The only thing you can do is protect those at greatest risk, and educate people on what to do, and most people know what to do to lower their risk. Whether they choose to do that is entirely up to them.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, JoMo said:

Couple of weeks? I don't know about you, but I remember when we shut the country down for 15 days to "slow the spread".... That was what, about 7 months ago? People started blaming those who weren't staying home or wearing masks for all the problems. We have had massive loss of businesses and turned the entire country upside down and while it has prevented loss of life, it's done a massive amount of economic damage. You're not going to be able to lock everyone in their homes for a few months. You aren't going to be able to shut down the entire country for months, that's just not happening. The only thing you can do is protect those at greatest risk, and educate people on what to do, and most people know what to do to lower their risk. Whether they choose to do that is entirely up to them.

All I hear is money, I'm sorry but money doesn't matter if you are sick or dead. Furthermore most things are open, no not everything before someone nitpicks, but most things are so that economic damage has been recovered while most people wear masks, but if all don't then we are wasting our time and potentially risking millions.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Can someone explain why this thread is in this sub forum and not Off Topic where "non weather" discussion is?

This is turning into a reddit about politics. This thread should have been shut down long ago.  

Ironic because you keep driving it toward political points when this has been pretty much apolitical.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

Can someone explain why this thread is in this sub forum and not Off Topic where "non weather" discussion is?
This is turning into a reddit about politics. This thread should have been shut down long ago.  

many sub-forums had a thread like this. however, this particular thread has been much more tame compared to those, when they were shut down.

like I said in another thread, no one is forcing you to open this thread and read/post.

3 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Ironic because you keep driving it toward political points when this has been pretty much apolitical.

I would ask that we get it back toward the way it was a week or two ago.  The most powerful person in the country getting the virus is a big story, but it is going in circles at this point.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I literally just mentioned yesterday that i stay out of this thread for the most part but I have to comment on our presidents theatrics again today. He is already back to down playing it, telling how the flu is worse and of course not wearing a mask. I find it amusing that our obese 74 yr old president caught his hoax virus so bad that he had to be taken to a hospital with round the clock care & oxygen and now a few days later he has recovered to feel "better than hes felt in 20 years". Even though most younger healthy people who catch a much more mild form feel effects of the virus for 2 weeks. I started symptoms before trump, never had anything close to needing oxygen or hospitalisation, and yet I still feel blah, tired, and slightly feverish. 

It has a different effect on different people. Trump received antibodies and remdesivir as part of his course of treatment.

Also, if you've previously had any of the coronaviruses in the past (some cause colds) you may have milder symptoms. 

“We have now proven that, in some people, pre-existing T cell memory against common cold coronaviruses can cross-recognize SARS-CoV-2, down to the exact molecular structures,” Weiskopf says. “This could help explain why some people show milder symptoms of disease while others get severely sick.”

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/immune-cells-common-cold-may-recognize-sars-cov-2

Also, some people are just asymptomatic, the current best estimate is that 40% of people are asymptomatic. Nobody really knows why.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/planning-scenarios.html

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Guest ovweather
28 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Trump is feeling the affects of the steroid he’s been given. That’s why he claims he feels 20 years younger (although most of what he’s saying is just trying to pretend he’s this tough, alpha male). The reality is Trump is far from out of the woods. With his age and health status (obesity and heart disease), he’s got weeks of nervousness ahead of him, especially considering it appears he hasn’t had just a mild case of the virus, but a somewhat more serious reaction. The docs aren’t going to keep pumping him up with a steroid indefinitely, either, because that has its own potential serious complications.

Covid hospitalizations in Indiana are at the highest number since late May.  Still have a good amount of bed availability statewide, but case numbers per 100,000 residents are running higher in some of the rural areas so it's possible those hospitals don't have as much room.

This is my first time reading through this thread. In regards to some of the speculation as to why Trump would be taking such aggressive medications and treatments, I'm fairly certain there has long been a plan in place for if (probably when) Trump got the virus. I wouldn't be surprised if doctors had done a thorough investigation as to which treatments would be most effective and what he could handle. After all, they would be quite familiar with his health after 3.5 yers.

A new study just released yesterday regarding the particle size of the virus if folks are so inclined. Apologies if it was previously posted. My understanding is the particle size is relevant to the importance of mask wearing. Others here I'm sure are more schooled than I to it's relevance. Just trying to add to reasonable debate.

EjlPLVlVkAAi-Ea.png

Guest ovweather
13 minutes ago, Gino27 said:

This is my first time reading through this thread. In regards to some of the speculation as to why Trump would be taking such aggressive medications and treatments, I'm fairly certain there has long been a plan in place for if (probably when) Trump got the virus. I wouldn't be surprised if doctors had done a thorough investigation as to which treatments would be most effective and what he could handle. After all, they would be quite familiar with his health after 3.5 yers.

Possibly, but the fact Conley isn’t answering specific questions regarding the severity of Trump’s symptoms, etc, can only lead us to believe they are trying to hide just how much the virus has affected Trump’s health. That’s why the next several weeks will be telling in regards to how much or little the virus has truly affected him.

Just read an article where even Trump’s own kids (Don Jr, Eric, and Ivanka) were astonished at his behavior the past two days in reference to the hospital drive by Sunday, etc, but apparently none have the balls to confront him about it.