Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

13 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

1660 new cases in Indiana today. Also saw that Iowa has a positivity rate of over 21 percent.

The 1660 are not all "new." Per the state dashboard, almost 1000 of those are older results that were added in to the cumulative total.

Today, 16,215 antigen tests and 975 positive cases from July 28 through August 22 are being added to the cumulative reports. Moving forward, antigen cases and testing from the most recent 24-hour period will be included in the daily reports. Tests and cases from prior to July 28 will be added to the cumulative reports once they are verified.

Just now, Hoosier said:

The 1660 are not all "new." Per the state dashboard, almost 1000 of those are older results that were added in to the cumulative total.

Today, 16,215 antigen tests and 975 positive cases from July 28 through August 22 are being added to the cumulative reports. Moving forward, antigen cases and testing from the most recent 24-hour period will be included in the daily reports. Tests and cases from prior to July 28 will be added to the cumulative reports once they are verified.

Thanks for information and correction. Wondering why more tests aren’t being done in Iowa with the troubling pos percentage, but they are coming off a terrible natural disaster which I’m sure impacted everything.

Oahu has just moved back to stay-at-home orders closing down most non-essential businesses again. We were nearly the lightest hit on the first wave but have had a surge in cases over the last month. They have made some pretty questionable moves leading up to this step back - they started by closing beaches and hiking trails ... as has been well covered, the great outdoors is not exactly the place this thing likes to spread widely. They did close down bars at the same time. Next move they made was to say no gatherings over 5 people but without any real way to enforce so it wasn't really a practical change in any meaningful way.

With the new stay at home, personal services are closed, restaurants are take out only, gyms closed again.

Has any other area moved backward this far in terms of their reopening?

They did it not just because of cases going up but also because the pace  was straining the local healthcare resources so they needed to do something. It's frustrating to see them take away good outlets like the beach and hiking rather than tackle high risk indoor settings under their initial set of new restrictions. Their rationale was that they didn't want to impact the already struggling businesses. Unfortunately delaying important restrictions just allowed the case number to keep rising which will also mean it's longer and more difficult to bring back down to a reasonable level.

The covid fatigue is real.

At least it seems like things are mostly heading in a better direction in the US as a whole for the most part.

3 hours ago, mattb65 said:

Oahu has just moved back to stay-at-home orders closing down most non-essential businesses again. We were nearly the lightest hit on the first wave but have had a surge in cases over the last month. They have made some pretty questionable moves leading up to this step back - they started by closing beaches and hiking trails ... as has been well covered, the great outdoors is not exactly the place this thing likes to spread widely. They did close down bars at the same time. Next move they made was to say no gatherings over 5 people but without any real way to enforce so it wasn't really a practical change in any meaningful way.

With the new stay at home, personal services are closed, restaurants are take out only, gyms closed again.

Has any other area moved backward this far in terms of their reopening?

They did it not just because of cases going up but also because the pace  was straining the local healthcare resources so they needed to do something. It's frustrating to see them take away good outlets like the beach and hiking rather than tackle high risk indoor settings under their initial set of new restrictions. Their rationale was that they didn't want to impact the already struggling businesses. Unfortunately delaying important restrictions just allowed the case number to keep rising which will also mean it's longer and more difficult to bring back down to a reasonable level.

The covid fatigue is real.

At least it seems like things are mostly heading in a better direction in the US as a whole for the most part.

This is the entire problem. Beaches and hiking are essential to clear your mind and relax. We went too far in our initial shutdowns and fatigued the Continental US into not giving a damn. Lol only places like the NE, Chicago, Detroit really care about this. I think it's most reflected in college football/racing where you have the Big 10 shut down and a fanless Indy 500, yet the SEC and NASCAR are both having fans in attendance

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, nwohweather said:

This is the entire problem. Beaches and hiking are essential to clear your mind and relax. We went too far in our initial shutdowns and fatigued the Continental US into not giving a damn. Lol only places like the NE, Chicago, Detroit really care about this. I think it's most reflected in college football/racing where you have the Big 10 shut down and a fanless Indy 500, yet the SEC and NASCAR are both having fans in attendance

And yet the south continues to lead the way in new cases and deaths, I wonder why.

• Like 1

And yet the south continues to lead the way in new cases and deaths, I wonder why.

Our cases have subsided quite considerably in recent days with mask wearing being incredibly high this last month. In fact we’re trending quite better than Michigan in recent weeks. Michigan is adding about 300 more new cases than here per day so it kind of adds to my point about the fatigue. South Carolinians are stubbornly conforming to the rules while Michiganders are ready to break free, and the numbers are showing this
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, nwohweather said:

Our cases have subsided quite considerably in recent days with mask wearing being incredibly high this last month. In fact we’re trending quite better than Michigan in recent weeks. Michigan is adding about 300 more new cases than here per day so it kind of adds to my point about the fatigue. South Carolinians are stubbornly conforming to the rules while Michiganders are ready to break free, and the numbers are showing this

Michigan is testing a substantial amount more than most places in the south. You can literally go anywhere and get a test because up here we actually want to know who is sick instead of guessing or assuming.

• Thanks 1

Michigan is testing a substantial amount more than most places in the south. You can literally go anywhere and get a test because up here we actually want to know who is sick instead of guessing or assuming.

Please there are four testing places within my town alone. The bigger issue is the majority of people don’t care to actually get tested. Especially hospitality employees who don’t want to lose pay

18 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Please there are four testing places within my town alone. The bigger issue is the majority of people don’t care to actually get tested. Especially hospitality employees who don’t want to lose pay

Then that's a SC issue.  Most healthcare places around here require testing - some weekly.  Explains IL at 52k tests per day...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RyanDe680 said:

Then that's a SC issue.  Most healthcare places around here require testing - some weekly.  Explains IL at 52k tests per day...

Hospitality not hospital. Tourism is a much larger part of the economy here. Also lets be honest if we closed things off to Midwesterners (feels weird saying that lol) things would've been much better COVID wise, but would have destroyed us economically. A lot of Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey plates in Lowcountry spending their summer vacations and bringing the coronavirus with them

7 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Hospitality not hospital. Tourism is a much larger part of the economy here. Also lets be honest if we closed things off to Midwesterners (feels weird saying that lol) things would've been much better COVID wise, but would have destroyed us economically. A lot of Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey plates in Lowcountry spending their summer vacations and bringing the coronavirus with them

it's incredibly sad you still believe this.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

You don't think that tourism isn't huge in this state?  Yet we are testing thousands daily. It is entirely because one state believes this is real and one state that doesn't. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Stebo said:

You don't think that tourism isn't huge in this state?  Yet we are testing thousands daily. It is entirely because one state believes this is real and one state that doesn't. 

It's not close to the same as here. Dollars wise it's basically a tie, $22 Billion, but this state is considerably less populated and poorer than Michigan. So a lot of these people cannot afford to go without, the tourism industry as a percentage is as big as the auto industry is in Michigan.

Charleston is basically a city on the hill compared to most of the state, the peninsula and it's immediate suburbs are the equivalent of if Farmington Hills/Northville were an entire metro area. It's wild how expensive it is around the city. There are some rougher spots similar to Inkster a little bit from there and then where I live is a lot like Westland but once you get outside of that it gets very rural. 

I wouldn't say people don't believe it's real here, they just really don't care. I don't know why but I'm telling you the vast majority do not care. I don't decide societal rules here lol all I can do is wear a mask and spend more time on the beach

2 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

It's not close to the same as here. Dollars wise it's basically a tie, $22 Billion, but this state is considerably less populated and poorer than Michigan. So a lot of these people cannot afford to go without, the tourism industry as a percentage is as big as the auto industry is in Michigan.

Charleston is basically a city on the hill compared to most of the state, the peninsula and it's immediate suburbs are the equivalent of if Farmington Hills/Northville were an entire metro area. It's wild how expensive it is around the city. There are some rougher spots similar to Inkster a little bit from there and then where I live is a lot like Westland but once you get outside of that it gets very rural. 

I wouldn't say people don't believe it's real here, they just really don't care. I don't know why but I'm telling you the vast majority do not care. I don't decide societal rules here lol all I can do is wear a mask and spend more time on the beach

People don't want to live in fear of something that has less than 1% chance of killing.  Get outdoors, distance yourself, mask off breathe the fresh air and enjoy life.  If you're high risk, take the precautions necessary.  

2 hours ago, dta1984 said:

People don't want to live in fear of something that has less than 1% chance of killing.  Get outdoors, distance yourself, mask off breathe the fresh air and enjoy life.  If you're high risk, take the precautions necessary.  

On principle, I agree with a lot of the sentiment in your post and see a lot of people saying the same thing.

In practice, when this sentiment is put into practice, this darn virus spreads like crazy because people cut enough corners to spread it around too quickly and there are not enough precautions available to protect the vulnerable so many end up in the hospital needing inpatient care and stressing hospital capacity and causing massive death toll. In addition the hospitalization rate is much higher than the fatality rate so though most survive, not all survive without incurring some degree of morbidity.

This is not a fear thing, at this point IMO, I think while there are some still afraid of the virus, most are just tired, frustrated or angry with how much it has screwed up our normal way of life.

The extra frustrating part to me is that it appears we are likely very close to an effective vaccine - all data points are coming back positive so avoiding the policies necessary for containment in the early and second wave stages of the pandemic as executed in other developed countries mean we end up with a massive amount of excess morbidity and mortality that could have been delayed and saved.

2 hours ago, Baum said:

testing.

statistic_id1111716_number-of-covid-19-tests-conducted-in-the-us-as-of-august-23-2020-by-state.png

If we were testing at their levels our case numbers would be lower than theirs by a substantial margin. Imagine if the south was actually testing at the level the north is, their cases would be higher big time. Again the recent numbers are the part that matters, you are looking at this from a total aspect, for what reason I don't know.

• Like 1

^

I'm just posting real stats. But am I missing that California, Texas, and Florida are the highest testing states sans New York  as of August 23? And their  cases are also the highest, as you state, though I did not post cases. Caveat, there death rates are well below what was experienced in the northeast during there peak. So the graph to some extent supports your theories on testing equates to cases. However, to say the sun belt is not testing on a high level would not be true based on this graphic. The idea is not to debate rather to report consistent facts as they currently lie with real data. 

1 hour ago, Baum said:

^

I'm just posting real stats. But am I missing that California, Texas, and Florida are the highest testing states sans New York  as of August 23? And their  cases are also the highest, as you state, though I did not post cases. Caveat, there death rates are well below what was experienced in the northeast during there peak. So the graph to some extent supports your theories on testing equates to cases. However, to say the sun belt is not testing on a high level would not be true based on this graphic. The idea is not to debate rather to report consistent facts as they currently lie with real data. 

They aren't testing at the highest rates compared to other states similar in size though, their positive rates per testing proves that. And using a graph that is collective skews the data when I am referring to recently. NY/NJ/IL/MI/CA have some of the highest numbers because of what happened back in March and April but since then the numbers are substantially higher in the south and are not going down there.