• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

The weird thing about the longer term symptoms is that it spans across severities of the initial illness.  Just because you had mild symptoms initially doesn't mean that you won't have long term symptoms.  Have even seen some stories of people who thought they recovered and then the symptoms resurfaced.  

Guest ovweather

Researchers are saying now that having received many vaccinations for other things (flu, pneumonia, hepatitis, etc, etc) could very well be providing people with extra immunity against Covid as a result of immune system training from the vaccines.

It seems we focus so much on the negative news with Covid that we often ignore any positive news. Lots of reasons to be optimistic that the battle against Covid will be won. Several promising vaccines in the works, artificial antibodies being developed, T-cell cross reactivity, a stronger immune system from other vaccines, etc... we have lots of reasons to be optimistic right now. Maybe we can try to focus just a little bit on these and not so much on the negatives? :weenie:

3 hours ago, csnavywx said:

Not much attention is paid to long-term morbidities that will spring from the virus (and in some cases, already are) that could run into the millions or tens of millions. Only focusing on the death count is a myopic view of the situation, imo.

If the cardiovascular issues showing up are long-term we are setting up a generation of heart attack and stroke victims.

47 minutes ago, ovweather said:

Researchers are saying now that having received many vaccinations for other things (flu, pneumonia, hepatitis, etc, etc) could very well be providing people with extra immunity against Covid as a result of immune system training from the vaccines.

It seems we focus so much on the negative news with Covid that we often ignore any positive news. Lots of reasons to be optimistic that the battle against Covid will be won. Several promising vaccines in the works, artificial antibodies being developed, T-cell cross reactivity, a stronger immune system from other vaccines, etc... we have lots of reasons to be optimistic right now. Maybe we can try to focus just a little bit on these and not so much on the negatives? :weenie:

Covid isn't going to render humanity extinct, so from that perspective I don't think anyone doubts that we'll "win"....it's just the amount of unnecessary carnage we'll experience to get there.  History will judge our response to be a failure.  But if we somehow do get an effective vaccine by the end of the year that will certainly be technological marvel.

• Like 2

Unfortunately now know two people struggling with covid... one 55 one 7. The 7 year old from my town had severe fever and fatigue and ended up in local geisinger icu with severe lung failure and other issues, luckily he appears to be improving, but still in icu as of now. The 55 year old who is a friend of my dads is not doing well, recently hospitalized and hoping to not need intubated, was short of breath and extremely high fever before going to hospital. This is just now starting to hit hard in my rural part of pa and starting to personally know many people who have it.

• Sad 1

When can we look for deaths to get below 1000 again on a consistent basis? I know most in New England thread expected it to rise to the high hundreds but instead we’re stuck at 1200 to 1500 every non weekend day. I just never thought in a million years we’d be at 1200 plus a day with half of August gone.

1 hour ago, Wmsptwx said:

When can we look for deaths to get below 1000 again on a consistent basis? I know most in New England thread expected it to rise to the high hundreds but instead we’re stuck at 1200 to 1500 every non weekend day. I just never thought in a million years we’d be at 1200 plus a day with half of August gone.

There was a lot of hoping and wishing against actuality and reality in that thread. At least this thread has remained pretty based. I honestly don't know the answer because we are doing little to prevent the rise especially in the south and school is potentially going to start in more areas soon beyond the south.

24 minutes ago, Inverted_Trough said:

Testing has gone way down in places like Texas and Florida.  Positivity rates have significantly increased in Texas even while testing has gone down.  Maybe the long wait times have deterred people from seeking tests, especially if they're not feeling that sick.  

They temporarily closed down testing for a storm that missed them in Florida, combine that with both of those state governments not believing this is a real disaster and here we are. It is just an extension from above of "if we don't test we won't have any cases"

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

We were testing 800,000+ per day in this country, but now it has dipped to a bit over 700,000.  Clicking through various states, it does appear that a lot of the drop in testing can be attributed to states like Florida, Texas and to some extent Arizona.  California had a brief dip in testing about a week ago but it has since increased.  Whatever the cause, the numbers are what they are.

There are different views about how many tests we should be running per day, but it shouldn't only be in the hundreds of thousands.  Particularly with schools beginning to reopen.  I hope to see the testing numbers increase.  If they don't, we are going to have big problems on a more widespread scale instead of just a few states.  

15 minutes ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

Issue is the stores aren't enforcing them, we have to offer a mask but if the customers refuse the big companies won't let us refuse service. 

What would you estimate the mask prevalence to be at your store?  If it's 80-90% or more, that is pretty good and would have dimishing returns beyond that point.  Not like we are talking about a solar eclipse, where there is indeed a big difference between what it's like at 99% and 100%

1 hour ago, roardog said:

Apparently testing was way up, which is a good thing. Positivity rate was only 3.1% which is actually below the 7 day average.

a perfect example of the raw case numbers being misleading. Every headline i read today only talked about 1K cases and nothing about the actual number of tests and positivity rate. Another thing to note is michigan is now including "probable" cases in their hospitalization data so on the surface the numbers are gonna appear to spike. 

• Thanks 1

Even though some people think repressing testing is good politics, it doesn't stop new cases. This is why I supported just letting it go until most of the country was overwhelmed. It unifies politically. Lessons for Govs and Mayors. The NCAA tournament should have never been cancelled. Baseball starting on time with full crowds. Normal schools. The spread will have been extremely fast by May. Then a national testing/tracing plan would have been put in place, slowly reducing cases down to 0.

This might be the dumbest post in this threat in a while.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

This might be the dumbest post in this threat in a while.

What he describes is what happened in NYC and to be somewhat fair, their situation is much more under control than most other areas. But the scale of the carnage and cost of letting it run out of control were so extreme in NYC that I don't see how anyone can come in and say that we should have all let it rip until hospitals were overwhelmed. Sure, people would not be debating how serious it is like they currently do but the cost in human life and suffering would be unconscionable to choose that path.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

What would you estimate the mask prevalence to be at your store?  If it's 80-90% or more, that is pretty good and would have dimishing returns beyond that point.  Not like we are talking about a solar eclipse, where there is indeed a big difference between what it's like at 99% and 100%

60%, just under half refuse them at the door or pretend to wear it then take it off once shopping

5 hours ago, Hoosier said:

We were testing 800,000+ per day in this country, but now it has dipped to a bit over 700,000.  Clicking through various states, it does appear that a lot of the drop in testing can be attributed to states like Florida, Texas and to some extent Arizona.  California had a brief dip in testing about a week ago but it has since increased.  Whatever the cause, the numbers are what they are.

There is a common theme with those states...