Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah, that doesn't make much sense.  

I had no idea that high school football was going to be happening because I have been reading stories of local schools cancelling contact sports.  Perhaps my county is not representative of the rest of Indiana. 

a lot of places in Michigan are as well at least pushing them back. 

3 hours ago, nwohweather said:

http:// https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/high-school/2020/08/04/Briggs-time-for-Ohio-punt-on-fall-high-school-football/stories/20200804171

Good write up here. This story and the comments on Facebook are shocking. The vast majority of people are losing their minds if their kids cannot play sports this Fall.

Its Facebook, a cesspool of stupidity, it can't be that shocking.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

This country has a real problem with being anti science. My entire Facebook is flooded with conspiracy theories about the coronavirus and anti vaccine. They think everything is corrupt. While many things are, I just don't see how scientists and those in the medical world that go to school for 10-15 years to help people would be involved in a giant ponzi scheme to deceive the country. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

12 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Wouldn't have stopped it, but there's pretty good reason to think we wouldn't be having 60k+ confirmed cases per day right now had some states been more careful with their reopening.  

I don't believe there is a way we could have "stopped" it.

New Zealand was able to do so with a complete shutdown, but they have rough the same population as Alabama and these are much easier to implement on a smaller scale. Plus, they are a much more progressive/liberal country as a whole and the populous is more willing to go along with a complete shutdown. 

Ultimately the politicization of every piece of data and making every discussion a giant pissing match has really hindered our response. For better or worse, a decisive and immediate response is what was needed, and we got anything but. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

This country has a real problem with being anti science. My entire Facebook is flooded with conspiracy theories about the coronavirus and anti vaccine. They think everything is corrupt. While many things are, I just don't see how scientists and those in the medical world that go to school for 10-15 years to help people would be involved in a giant ponzi scheme to deceive the country. 

never underestimate what the allure of money and power will do to somebody.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chances14 said:

never underestimate what the allure of money and power will do to somebody.

Also never underestimate the power of stupidity, especially in large groups.

I hope that you aren't actually suggesting that the last line in his post is actually true because oh boy...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

Also never underestimate the power of stupidity, especially in large groups.

I hope that you aren't actually suggesting that the last line in his post is actually true because oh boy...

Not saying I agree with that, but it's never a bad idea to at the least question what we are told from government or other higher authorities. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dta1984 said:

Not saying I agree with that, but it's never a bad idea to at the least question what we are told from government or other higher authorities. 

I agree with this, but in this instance I just don't see how tens of thousands of scientists would jeopardize their morale and licenses for the sake of pleasing political agendas after devoting their entire life for the betterment of our country. 

• Thanks 3

50 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I agree with this, but in this instance I just don't see how tens of thousands of scientists would jeopardize their morale and licenses for the sake of pleasing political agendas after devoting their entire life for the betterment of our country. 

Exactly, you really have to take a huge leap to think this. Politics has really warped the minds of some and it is truly sad.

2 hours ago, dta1984 said:

No one is saying don't question higher authorities, it is more about situational awareness and when to question. I mean it is either the biggest conspiracy ever, or more likely 99.999999% chance that scientists are working to try and treat this virus.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stebo said:

No one is saying don't question higher authorities, it is more about situational awareness and when to question. I mean it is either the biggest conspiracy ever, or more likely 99.999999% chance that scientists are working to try and treat this virus.

Exactly, and not letting your conspiracies allow a dangerous virus to spread more prolifically. These anti mask people are doing exactly that.

• Like 1

Guest ovweather
21 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Exactly, and not letting your conspiracies allow a dangerous virus to spread more prolifically. These anti mask people are doing exactly that.

Let’s not forget there are people who believe contrails from airplanes are actually chem-trails purposely being exhaled from airplanes as some giant government agenda to purposely poison humans. It’s not unreasonable to expect to come across people who believe Covid is some big conspiracy.

6 minutes ago, Stebo said:

But we need to open the schools... I swear this virus is going to explode if schools open.

It is walking a tightrope but I think you gotta try to open schools in areas where the virus is not currently out of control or on the verge of that, while allowing for a remote learning option.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

15 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

It is walking a tightrope but I think you gotta try to open schools in areas where the virus is not currently out of control or on the verge of that, while allowing for a remote learning option.

The problem with doing it in those areas, which are mostly rural, if an outbreak does happen you immediately exacerbate the limited medical facilities and testing in those areas.

9 minutes ago, Stebo said:

The problem with doing it in those areas, which are mostly rural, if an outbreak does happen you immediately exacerbate the limited medical facilities and testing in those areas.

Valid concern.  You'd need to be hypervigilant and not hesitate to shut it down.

Online learning just isn't as good as in person.  Maybe you can get away with that more for older kids... and that is assuming everybody has proper access.  

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Valid concern.  You'd need to be hypervigilant and not hesitate to shut it down.

Online learning just isn't as good as in person.  Maybe you can get away with that more for older kids... and that is assuming everybody has proper access.  

Oh I get the restrictions on learning but to me safety at a temporary cost in learning is unfortunately needed. We definitely don't need situations like what we are seeing in Georgia of packed hallways. That is insanity.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Do they really even need to attend? Just take the year off, and graduate at 19. They said an estimated 40,000 kids in SC didn't attend any school once the shutdowns happened and regular attendance rates were 50%

I've been told that some kids actually learn better via virtual learning.  The in-person aspect is good for socialization which of course is very important.  But throwing thirty kids into a classroom isn't necessarily a great way to teach kids.  That's simply the way we've historically done it because that was the most efficient way to teach kids at a mass scale.  We haven't done virtual learning for a long enough period of time to truly understand its impacts -- good or bad.  I think it's quite possible that a combination of virtual learning and in-person learning might be better than all-virtual or all-in-person.

6 minutes ago, Powerball said:

In Michigan, after the company forced workers back into the office...

53 coronavirus cases linked to mortgage company United Shore

Found this on Reddit about United Shore. It's extremely detailed, but take it FWIW:

"I went there for a summer internship position, and for orientation they sat 100 interns in their small gym less than 6 feet away from each other, with only small plastic barriers barely separating us. They only separated the tables between us, so if we turned either way, we were still fully exposed to our other interns. Masks were completely optional, and I was one for 3 interns wearing a mask. We were sat in that room for 9 hours, only being let out for an hour at lunch, and 15 minute breaks ever hour or two.

I quit after my first day there, anyone with a brain could see that it was only a matter of time before there was an outbreak here. Walking around the facility, there were hundreds of employees in the dogpits, sitting less than 6 feet away from each other and not wearing masks, some desks didn’t even have the plastic dividers. During lunch, their cafeteria was fully open with no seating restrictions at all, everyone was sat close to one another.

There was no reason that their employees needed to be back in office. No reason. The only employees who needed to be there were sysadmins and maintenance. Everyone else could have been working remotely. This was a ridiculous display of ignorance on the company’s part. They put their employees lives at risk, when they so heavily proclaim that their “company is one big family”.

No one deserves to get this virus, it’s terrible and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. In my resignation from my internship position, I made clear my worries about their coronavirus measures, and they ignored it. I wish the employees there the best, but this was completely avoidable had the company just had some common sense."

Guest ovweather
5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

In all seriousness, it shows the issues with the testing, particularly the rapid result tests.  As a layperson, I am not sure if the technology is there to have highly accurate rapid result testing for this virus.  

I think the Ohio governor testing positive then negative in the same day is just a ploy by the right to try to discredit the accuracy of testing. And it happens the same day the commander in chief himself was set to meet with the governor. How’s that for a conspiracy theory? :P