• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

This is a little foreboding as schools are getting ready to return.  No, it's not the same thing as a school, but the number of people that caught the virus in that short amount of time is shocking.

Hundreds of Georgia campers infected with coronavirus at YMCA camp in just days, CDC report finds

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/hundreds-georgia-campers-infected-with-coronavirus-ymca-summer-camp-cdc-report-finds/EL5FFTVSDVETRGROPEXK6CIZNM/?outputType=amp

Guest ovweather
28 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I mean what symptoms can't be found through a simple examination for covid? Other than nausea most things can be visually seen or taken measurement.

But how many people testing positive are getting examinations by doctors or nurses? Because of the overload of positive cases, a lot of the asymptomatic and mild symptom people aren’t even being examined by a doctor. They are simply being asked over the phone how they feel.

For accurate research purposes, especially when trying to determine possible lung damage in supposably asymptomatic people, they will need to be thoroughly examined upon testing positive to fully determine if they truly are asymptomatic. It will also be very beneficial to give all asymptomatic people CT scans of the lungs upon a positive test for Covid to get a picture of the lungs at the onset of the virus in their bodies.

3 minutes ago, ovweather said:

But how many people testing positive are getting examinations by doctors or nurses? Because of the overload of positive cases, a lot of the asymptomatic and mild symptom people aren’t even being examined by a doctor. They are simply being asked over the phone how they feel.

For accurate research purposes, especially when trying to determine possible lung damage in supposably asymptomatic people, they will need to be thoroughly examined upon testing positive to fully determine if they truly are asymptomatic. It will also be very beneficial to give all asymptomatic people CT scans of the lungs upon a positive test for Covid to get a picture of the lungs at the onset of the virus in their bodies.

If they are testing positive though they aren't going to be hiding it. I mean if someone tests positive and doesn't take any precautions they are doing so at their own risk.

7 hours ago, Stebo said:

If they are testing positive though they aren't going to be hiding it. I mean if someone tests positive and doesn't take any precautions they are doing so at their own risk.

Asymptomatic vs. symptomatic is subjective. The tolerance for symptoms in people is heterogeneous. It seems though that you can still see changes in the lungs for a lot of these people who aren't felling symptoms. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a little foreboding as schools are getting ready to return.  No, it's not the same thing as a school, but the number of people that caught the virus in that short amount of time is shocking.

Hundreds of Georgia campers infected with coronavirus at YMCA camp in just days, CDC report finds

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/hundreds-georgia-campers-infected-with-coronavirus-ymca-summer-camp-cdc-report-finds/EL5FFTVSDVETRGROPEXK6CIZNM/?outputType=amp

Right. The fact that both the IHSAA and the OHSAA are going ahead with Fall Sports boggles my mind. Sure, have golf and cross country, but how the heck are you going to play football? Soccer? Do band and choir practice with a bunch of people singing and playing instruments.

Spikes alone are going to come from this. And you know damn well that the HS football games will be packed attendance wise. Empty stadiums would bankrupt athletic departments

1 hour ago, nwohweather said:

We’re on a downward trend! Still the amount of people without masks stuns me here in SC, but it’s much better than it was in May. Maybe the incoming blob of a tropical system can blow it out of out here

Knowing this year it'll probably just blow the germs virus around more!

But seriously...this hurricane season combined with corona...I'm just thinking of people being in shelters and such. Yikes

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I guess we will see if there on any side effects to a vaccine pretty quickly. Leave it to Russia to bypass all medical research standards and go right into vaccinating everyone.

Coronavirus: Russia plans mass vaccination campaign in October

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53621708

In Soviet Russia you don't get vaccine.  Vaccine get you!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I still can’t get over the night and day response people are having to this virus.  I went to a little social at a beer garden that was advertised as likely a few friends hanging out (through a church I occasionally attend) and I was the only one wearing a mask, I wouldn’t say they were social distancing very well, and there were about 30-40 people gathering next to and around four picnic tables or so.  At least it was outside, but you could tell things were pretty cavalier.  The cops almost broke it up (I wouldn’t have minded if they did, I wasn’t expecting quite this result).  On the other hand there are people who only will ever hang out with or talk in person to family, even socially distanced outdoor options with masks are worrisome to them.  I wish we could tow a sensible middle ground but this virus has only further divided us :thumbsdown:

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

8 hours ago, wisconsinwx said:

I still can’t get over the night and day response people are having to this virus.  I went to a little social at a beer garden that was advertised as likely a few friends hanging out (through a church I occasionally attend) and I was the only one wearing a mask, I wouldn’t say they were social distancing very well, and there were about 30-40 people gathering next to and around four picnic tables or so.  At least it was outside, but you could tell things were pretty cavalier.  The cops almost broke it up (I wouldn’t have minded if they did, I wasn’t expecting quite this result).  On the other hand there are people who only will ever hang out with or talk in person to family, even socially distanced outdoor options with masks are worrisome to them.  I wish we could tow a sensible middle ground but this virus has only further divided us :thumbsdown:

I too love the sweet middle ground between socially responsible behavior and sociopathy 

• Haha 3

Florida with an expected dip in positive cases due to testing closures for the hurricane.  Deaths still staying high.  Interesting impact on total statistics since many of the people with minor symptoms who can't get tested won't even test positive by the time the sites open back up

They've made masks mandatory in all indoor settings including apartments and condominiums (public areas). Gyms and fitness centers finally opened up after being closed for nearly 5 months. I believe they're contemplating on keeping that US-Canada border closed until December. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dta1984 said:

Lol always get a good laugh seeing people alone in their car with a mask on

20200805_111357.jpg

I try to give people the benefit of the doubt on that.  Maybe they don't have hand sanitizer on them or something and don't want to touch the mask.  But otherwise it is a bit over the top.

• Thanks 2

Some schools around here are going to be starting off with online learning or even doing the whole semester online, while others are starting off with in person learning or the hybrid model.  This will create a live experiment of sorts, although kids have friends and get together with kids who live in other towns which will still result in a lot of mixing.  

I don't pretend to have all the answers, but I'm not sure about the hybrid model of kids going to school in person for 2 or 3 days a week and staying at home for the other 2 or 3 days.  There is still about 6-8 hours of possible exposure on the days they are there in person. 

Holding classes outdoors seems like a decent idea just from a virus standpoint, though I imagine it would be easier for kids to become distracted outdoors and you could only do that for so long in many parts of the country.

• Like 1

I think some people just forget that they have it on, after returning to their car from the grocery store or wherever.  That's happened to me a couple of times where I didn't realize I still had it on after returning to the car.  It just goes to show you that, if you wear something as part of a routine, your body adjusts to it to the point that sometimes you don't even notice that you're wearing it.

• Like 1