Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

2 minutes ago, WestMichigan said:

Interesting that MI has ~12,000 fewer cases than TN, but MI has over 6x the number of deaths.  Are the doctors that much better at treating this no vs. in the beginning or has something changed with the virus?  Could be the specific population in each state that has the virus is much different also.  Curious to see what accounts for that large of a difference in deaths.

The deaths here happened early when no one knew what was going on. Now we have a better idea on treatment which is why deaths aren't rising quite dramatically. They are still going up but no where near the magnitude of before.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stebo said:

The deaths here happened early when no one knew what was going on. Now we have a better idea on treatment which is why deaths aren't rising quite dramatically. They are still going up but no where near the magnitude of before.

Is it treatment or demographics?  I have no idea and curious if anyone has seen any data one way or the other.

1 minute ago, WestMichigan said:

Is it treatment or demographics?  I have no idea and curious if anyone has seen any data one way or the other.

It could be a combination of both, lower income/blue collar people in general are more prone to having worse impacts of viruses as they don't keep up with normal checkups/maintenance. 

5 hours ago, Stebo said:

Yep, and that 1200 dollars or more depending upon dependents was spent on things to keep the economy rolling. Hell my brother's family got $3900 with 2 adults and 3 kids. Of course they were spending some of that money on stuff.

Nobody doubts that the $600 per week kept the economy going, but that's not going to keep that job around and that's what the more economically nervous posters keep referring back to.

• Weenie 1

Just now, Jonger said:

Nobody doubts that the $600 per week kept the economy going, but that's not going to keep that job around and that's what the more economically nervous posters keep referring back to.

People aren't quitting their jobs for a temporary gain. It is asinine to suggest that.

• Like 1

Anyone else hear or experience a situation where anyone was about to be tested, chose not to proceed due to wait times, and received a call shortly after that they tested positive?  I heard two of these kinds of stories secondhand this week.  I find the sources to be relatively trustworthy too.  In one case it was a family of three and each of them got a call so I don’t think it could be a simple mixup with someone who actually took the test.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Stebo said:

People aren't quitting their jobs for a temporary gain. It is asinine to suggest that.

In a lot of cases they can’t quit their jobs for the full benefit anyway, but that’s part of the problem.  I like your idea of $300-400 additional, I suggested that on AmPol and the results weren’t pretty.

15 minutes ago, Stebo said:

No, but those in industries still mostly closed aren't going to have much to go back to. The economy is running well right now because the government is printing up cash, but that's going to end.

Let's see how nice things are when we have 10% unemployment. Now, keep those businesses closed another 6 months and 10% would be best case scenario.

14 minutes ago, wisconsinwx said:

Anyone else hear or experience a situation where anyone was about to be tested, chose not to proceed due to wait times, and received a call shortly after that they tested positive?  I heard two of these kinds of stories secondhand this week.  I find the sources to be relatively trustworthy too.  In one case it was a family of three and each of them got a call so I don’t think it could be a simple mixup with someone who actually took the test.

Heard that from my sister, who has basically been looking for any way possible to discredit the pandemic.

That raises an obvious question about those stories.  How do they know whom to call if people are leaving before getting tested?  Or is there some kind of check in process when you first show up? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonger said:

No, but those in industries still mostly closed aren't going to have much to go back to. The economy is running well right now because the government is printing up cash, but that's going to end.

Let's see how nice things are when we have 10% unemployment. Now, keep those businesses closed another 6 months and 10% would be best case scenario.

No industry is staying closed forever, the only thing that might go a bit by the wayside is the bar industry. Maybe that is a good thing, we don't need bars on every corner. The bar atmosphere has been going down with the current generation outside of colleges. Most everything else has reopened or working remotely.

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Heard that from my sister, who has basically been looking for any way possible to discredit the pandemic.

That raises an obvious question about those stories.  How do they know whom to call if people are leaving before getting tested?  Or is there some kind of check in process when you first show up? 

That seems like an anecdote without any sourcing. And the second part of your post makes me believe it isn't true. Most testing places are drive up without precheck.

9 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I think in a lot of cases they have to sign up ahead of time with their contact information to get a spot and appointment.  I know one of my friends did that today so he could get tested tomorrow since his girlfriend is getting tested with common allergy symptoms she is worried may be COVID-19.

They're saying that Asia and perhaps even Europe are poised to have stronger economic growth in 2021 compared to the US, simply because they're managing the virus much better.  At this point the ability - or lack thereof - to manage this virus will determine your economic growth over the next year.  It wouldn't surprise me if the US actually experienced a double dip recession because we simply can't get this under control. 

22 minutes ago, Inverted_Trough said:

They're saying that Asia and perhaps even Europe are poised to have stronger economic growth in 2021 compared to the US, simply because they're managing the virus much better.  At this point the ability - or lack thereof - to manage this virus will determine your economic growth over the next year.  It wouldn't surprise me if the US actually experienced a double dip recession because we simply can't get this under control. 

And now Japan is having a resurgence. 

28 minutes ago, Inverted_Trough said:

It would be because of our lack of response especially at the federal level. Incompetence all around.

• Like 2

Bingo! Quite honestly America is horribly built for something like this. I don’t think it matters who is in DC, we have a structure in place where states can do almost whatever they want. Moving from Ohio to South Carolina was a total eye opener in how different the government operates
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Inconsistent messaging, states fighting each other for supplies, lack of awareness in public and plain old denying it made all of this much worse than it could’ve been.

I'd add the "plandemic" video and widespread sharing of pseudo-science and misinformation on social media to that list. And maybe mental illness.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nwohweather said:

Bingo! Quite honestly America is horribly built for something like this. I don’t think it matters who is in DC, we have a structure in place where states can do almost whatever they want. Moving from Ohio to South Carolina was a total eye opener in how different the government operates

I do think it matters in some ways, but in other ways not.  Like, we would have a contingent of deniers/minimizers out there no matter what because, well, that's how we roll.  

Would rather not rehash the blame game in here though because we know that it will inevitably wade into problem territory for this thread (and everyone is probably pretty much set in their beliefs anyway) 

43 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

I'd add the "plandemic" video and widespread sharing of pseudo-science and misinformation on social media to that list. And maybe mental illness.

"LIBERATE" and reopen everything without following the gating criteria put out by the coronavirus task force. So many missteps. The federal response has been as bad as anyone could imagine, the federal response has literally sabotaged what could have otherwise gotten us on track. 

Being in an election year has probably made it worse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Yep, I've heard the exact same story from a credible source.  I do believe there was some sort of check in, and they left after checking in. 

1 hour ago, purduewx80 said:

Add that to that video taken down the other day...It just makes me sad. It's like...this is a time we need consistent information, not "my science versus theirs" :facepalm: The mass of confusion created is maddening and has been toxic to our response.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

I do think it matters in some ways, but in other ways not.  Like, we would have a contingent of deniers/minimizers out there no matter what because, well, that's how we roll.  

Would rather not rehash the blame game in here though because we know that it will inevitably wade into problem territory for this thread (and everyone is probably pretty much set in their beliefs anyway) 

You've got a point...so we'd probably still have some of the conspiracy stuff anyway, lol We are who we are, unfortunately...

pandemic + deeply polarized country=this mess!

1 hour ago, purduewx80 said:

Anyone who believes this was a "plandemic" is just an idiot. I have no other way to put it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For my second night in a row, I have a fever of around 100F with chills and a bit of head-wooziness (hopefully you get what I mean).

Yesterday I went for a long run with a friend after having been sedentary for almost three weeks. When I got home, I felt like garbage. Took a hot shower (also not smart lol) and I got out with a fever of 100.5F that I held for a few hours before it dropped off. I figured I had just overexerted my body. Now, seeing that I feel the same way tonight (albeit without the post-running soreness) I'm a bit confused. I've never felt this way before. The best way I can describe it is as if your brain is going hypochondriac mode, but the symptoms your brain are making up are actually real. No sore throat, or cough, or anything like that. Purely in the limb muscles and above the neck. I don't know if I should be concerned or not. 

1 hour ago, Malacka11 said:

For my second night in a row, I have a fever of around 100F with chills and a bit of head-wooziness (hopefully you get what I mean).

Yesterday I went for a long run with a friend after having been sedentary for almost three weeks. When I got home, I felt like garbage. Took a hot shower (also not smart lol) and I got out with a fever of 100.5F that I held for a few hours before it dropped off. I figured I had just overexerted my body. Now, seeing that I feel the same way tonight (albeit without the post-running soreness) I'm a bit confused. I've never felt this way before. The best way I can describe it is as if your brain is going hypochondriac mode, but the symptoms your brain are making up are actually real. No sore throat, or cough, or anything like that. Purely in the limb muscles and above the neck. I don't know if I should be concerned or not. 

You can always get tested so you know for sure. What you're describing definitely fits within the wide range of symptoms people experience, but it could just as easily be something else.

8 hours ago, mattb65 said:

"LIBERATE" and reopen everything without following the gating criteria put out by the coronavirus task force. So many missteps. The federal response has been as bad as anyone could imagine, the federal response has literally sabotaged what could have otherwise gotten us on track. 

Being in an election year has probably made it worse.

You could say the same for the states.  Everyone is quick to blame the feds, but if they are so bad why don't the individual states go their own way and get it right?  Take a little personal responsibility.  It is always easier to blame someone else when things go wrong and take credit when they go right.

• Like 3