Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

4 hours ago, Stebo said:

Yeah and to me that is just insane. It is just way to spread the virus when you shouldn't be, just like Disney World being open.

Are you good dude? I'm not even trying to be a jerk, but I worry this thing has you actually in a state of phobia. I hope not but it's not THAT dangerous out there

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

24 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Are you good dude? I'm not even trying to be a jerk, but I worry this thing has you actually in a state of phobia. I hope not but it's not THAT dangerous out there

I am perfectly fine, but I work in an environment where there are thousands of strangers coming through my work every day from all over the country. So I don't think it is remotely irrational to be cautious and careful. And to also wish for less people needlessly traveling rather than people saying **** it and going on vacation all over the country. As for dangerous, how can you not think it is somewhat dangerous with the thousands of cases and thousands of people dead. At what point do some of you get it, when it directly impacts your family? Is that what it will take for you to understand the danger?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I am perfectly fine, but I work in an environment where there are thousands of strangers coming through my work every day from all over the country. So I don't think it is remotely irrational to be cautious and careful. And to also wish for less people needlessly traveling rather than people saying **** it and going on vacation all over the country. As for dangerous, how can you not think it is somewhat dangerous with the thousands of cases and thousands of people dead. At what point do some of you get it, when it directly impacts your family? Is that what it will take for you to understand the danger?

What you have to consider is it's summer and more people have free time because they're out of work.  If they have the means, there isn't a better time to go on vacation.  Of course, Disney World in summer would not be my idea (though I do enjoy it in the nice weather times of the year), a lot of people have been chomping at the bit and feel it's safe enough given the protocols, the masks and a lot of your time is spent outside.

Looks like public health measures to manage Covid have basically eradicated the flu from the Southern Hemisphere.  This bodes well for us for the fall.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-19-measures-have-all-but-wiped-out-the-flu-in-the-southern-hemisphere-11595440682

Also goes to show you how insanely transmissible Covid is due to lack of any immunity in our general population

8 minutes ago, wisconsinwx said:

What you have to consider is it's summer and more people have free time because they're out of work.  If they have the means, there isn't a better time to go on vacation.  Of course, Disney World in summer would not be my idea (though I do enjoy it in the nice weather times of the year), a lot of people have been chomping at the bit and feel it's safe enough given the protocols, the masks and a lot of your time is spent outside.

I gave a suggestion earlier of vacation closer, no reason to be flying and going down to a place where there are thousands of cases daily.

• Like 1

Guest ovweather

Shutting everything down shouldn’t be a necessity in the case of a pandemic if everyone would be smart / cautious and religiously wear a mask, wash their hands, and social distance. Let’s also not forget if everyone cared about their health and practiced daily good health measures, we would all be stronger and better able to naturally fight the virus. But that’s asking too much of some people and is never going to happen, thus there really is no other choice than to close down certain non-necessity segments of society that carry a high risk of needlessly spreading the virus. Even when a vaccine is available, some people will refuse to get it. Covid is here to stay, but the smart, rational people will not fight suggestions and mandates, thus just maybe things someday will return to some normalcy.

9 hours ago, mississaugasnow said:

Ive actually wondered this myself haha. Yesterday I noticed signs saying you have to pre pay outside for gas if you dont have a mask. 10 people have been ticketed in Brampton already for not wearing the masks. Just like the tickets for the parks earlier in the year, my guess is enough tickets get handed out and people will listen. 

Grocery stores here aren't enforcing the mask mandates, some employees aren't wearing anything and no one is cleaning carts now.

6 hours ago, Stebo said:

I'm not saying ceasing life though. But I don't see how a trip to Florida right now is remotely necessary. If you need to vacation, vacation locally, we have plenty of wonderful places here.

I understand what you’re saying. It’s a very touch-and-go situation. I think as long as people are wearing masks, having their temperatures taken before boarding, and the planes are vigorously decontaminated, that flying should be okay. 

4 hours ago, RobertSul said:

I understand what you’re saying. It’s a very touch-and-go situation. I think as long as people are wearing masks, having their temperatures taken before boarding, and the planes are vigorously decontaminated, that flying should be okay. 

Problem is I see people going on without masks, coming off without masks, and walking around the terminal without masks. Nothing is stopping these people.

13 hours ago, Stebo said:

How does one social distance at Disney World. It is impossible. Plus mask wearing isn't a big thing in Florida, Texas, the Carolinas.

I was in Florida in late May/early June....  Drove down there...  It's not that mask wearing wasn't a big thing, it wasn't a thing at all

• Like 1

The problem is that some people don't want to or feel the need to change things in their lives, whether it is something as simple as wearing a mask or instead of flying for vacation, driving for 2-3 hours somewhere.  

The biggest issue is that peoeple need to work together, whether that's individuals working with a company, a company working with individuals or individuals working within a company. There's few strategies to do this at a national level.  Italy figured it out.  Spain figured it out.  In part of the country, specific measures that worked continue to work (NY and NJ) but in other parts of the country its the wild west.

10 hours ago, Inverted_Trough said:

Today wasn't a good day globally either.

280k cases globally (all-time high, by far)

7100 deaths globally (highest since April)

Pandemic is raging pretty much everywhere south of 35 degrees latitude

BuT tHe ThE vIrUs WiLl JuSt DiSaPpEaR iN tHe HeAt!!!

Statewide masking order goes into effect in Indiana on Monday for people over 8 years old.  I am not sure where that particular number is coming from.  I know there is some data out there to suggest that kids over age 10 and especially over age 15 are better at spreading the virus than younger kids.

2 hours ago, Powerball said:

BuT tHe ThE vIrUs WiLl JuSt DiSaPpEaR iN tHe HeAt!!!

Yeah, the virus disappearing in the heat might go down as one of the worst takes in history.  I think that belief subconsciously influenced the Southern states to open early too.  It also influenced the decision for the NBA to choose Florida as their bubble location.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Inverted_Trough said:

Yeah, the virus disappearing in the heat might go down as one of the worst takes in history.  I think that belief subconsciously influenced the Southern states to open early too.  It also influenced the decision for the NBA to choose Florida as their bubble location.

As bad as that take was, I'd say the recommendation to inject Lysol into your veins has it beat. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Statewide masking order goes into effect in Indiana on Monday for people over 8 years old.  I am not sure where that particular number is coming from.  I know there is some data out there to suggest that kids over age 10 and especially over age 15 are better at spreading the virus than younger kids.

Looks to be same as Ohio's.   Exceptions for outdoors when distancing and medical conditions. 

14 hours ago, Stebo said:

I didn't say it wasn't dangerous, I said it wasn't THAT dangerous. Honestly though I've worked in manufacturing my whole life, and been in some places, especially steel mills, that make coronavirus look like a walk in the park. If I'm not afraid to go into a mine or a steel mill why would I be afraid to board a physically distant aircraft with an N95 mask on? Really though I'm not mad at you or your responses, but I do worry this thing has you in an actual state of intense phobia. You can live your life a little bit and be cautious while doing so. Maybe don't go to Greektown lol but somethings are okay.

On the positive side the lack of doing anything is going to help out the old bank account well!

• Like 5
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

This needs to be done at a national level.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

They should exempt all elementary school age kids. My son is 9 years old and we were at Ikea for 45 mins this past weekend and he was about to pop. Right now the plan is that they'll wear them in the hallways and teachers have to wear them the entire time they're in the building.

I suggested they lower the AC temp a bit to help,  it was a bit warm in that store which I found to be stifling. 

3 hours ago, Powerball said:

As bad as that take was, I'd say the recommendation to inject Lysol into your veins has it beat. 

Yea, Trump has his rambling sessions.....

Sadly, no matter who you vote for this November -- you're going to get this type of president.

Biden sounds terrible if you actually watch a few of his recent interviews. Like, he makes Trump look polished.

• Weenie 1

Guest ovweather

Saw a post on FB from an anti-masker. This person, who is a dental surgeon, says masks are useless in stopping the spread of viruses. The only reason surgeons wear them in operating rooms is in case they sneeze or cough, so they don’t possibly infect open wounds. Wait, what? If masks are useless from stopping the spread of germs, then why bother even wearing them during surgery? People can contradict themselves so shamelessly it’s sad. No one ever said masks are 100% effective. But even if they are only 25% effective, that’s sure better than nothing during a pandemic.

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Ohio goes under a statewide order at 6pm today for 10 year olds and older. Obvious exceptions for medical conditions and eating and drinking.

4 hours ago, nwohweather said:

I didn't say it wasn't dangerous, I said it wasn't THAT dangerous. Honestly though I've worked in manufacturing my whole life, and been in some places, especially steel mills, that make coronavirus look like a walk in the park. If I'm not afraid to go into a mine or a steel mill why would I be afraid to board a physically distant aircraft with an N95 mask on? Really though I'm not mad at you or your responses, but I do worry this thing has you in an actual state of intense phobia. You can live your life a little bit and be cautious while doing so. Maybe don't go to Greektown lol but somethings are okay.

On the positive side the lack of doing anything is going to help out the old bank account well!

First off when you say something isn't that dangerous after killing nearly 150k people in the matter of 5 months the rest of what you're about to say is meaningless. You can think it isn't that big of a deal but it is. And your suggestion that I am in some state of phobia because I want people to be careful is just really a bad look on your part. It is very obvious by your posts that this is nothing and at this point nothing will change your mind on it. Me and others will look back on this in history and know we did the right thing by being cautious.

Also if you took the time to read my post I distinctly said that people weren't wearing masks even coming on or off a plane. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ovweather said:

Saw a post on FB from an anti-masker. This person, who is a dental surgeon, says masks are useless in stopping the spread of viruses. The only reason surgeons wear them in operating rooms is in case they sneeze or cough, so they don’t possibly infect open wounds. Wait, what? If masks are useless from stopping the spread of germs, then why bother even wearing them during surgery? People can contradict themselves so shamelessly it’s sad. No one ever said masks are 100% effective. But even if they are only 25% effective, that’s sure better than nothing during a pandemic.

The bolded is scary.

Just saw figures from medical authorities that over 200,000 Americans could be killed by the virus by the time we reach November if things continue at present rate.  That is one third the number of those killed from four years of the American Civil War.   Wear a mask and socially distance yourself.  Part of America's problem is our rugged sense of freedom and individualism. But unlimited freedom is anarchy.  That's why we have laws requiring seat belts, traffic laws, insurance requirements, etc.  The public good of the community takes precedence over individual freedom in some situations.  This has been our historical precedent.  And I am very worried about those who are suspicious of scientific findings.  Yes, conclusions may change as new data warrant.  But there is a sound scientific method and peer review in science of which I am deeply appreciative.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Indystorm said:

Just saw figures from medical authorities that over 200,000 Americans could be killed by the virus by the time we reach November if things continue at present rate.  That is one third the number of those killed from four years of the American Civil War.   Wear a mask and socially distance yourself.  Part of America's problem is our rugged sense of freedom and individualism. But unlimited freedom is anarchy.  That's why we have laws requiring seat belts, traffic laws, insurance requirements, etc.  The public good of the community takes precedence over individual freedom in some situations.  This has been our historical precedent.  And I am very worried about those who are suspicious of scientific findings.  Yes, conclusions may change as new data warrant.  But there is a sound scientific method and peer review in science of which I am deeply appreciative.

Good post.  

Just wear a damn mask.  Anything that can help lessen spread of this virus.  There is room for debate about the exact effectiveness of face coverings and which ones work the best, but I'd be shocked if it turned out that they didn't help at all with covid.

There is a better argument for not having a covid vaccine be mandatory (you can't take it off or undo it like a mask and there are actually some side effects with vaccines) but I suppose that is an argument for another time.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Good post.  

Just wear a damn mask.  Anything that can help lessen spread of this virus.  There is room for debate about the exact effectiveness of face coverings and which ones work the best, but I'd be shocked if it turned out that they didn't help at all with covid.

There is a better argument for not having a covid vaccine be mandatory (you can't take it off or undo it like a mask and there are actually some side effects with vaccines) but I suppose that is an argument for another time.

There can be a debate on the effectiveness, but at the end of the day the effectiveness is much greater than 0% and that is the part that matters.

• Like 3