Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

2 hours ago, mob1 said:

Today looks like a bad day unfortunately, with well over 1,000 deaths based on the states still left to report. While Tuesday always features inflated numbers due to a lag in weekend reporting, this is still going to be the highest one in about 6 weeks. Not a great trend but at least it's not rising at the same pace as new cases. 

Also, it appears that the number of cases, percent positive rate nationally are leveling off. Some of the hard hit states like Texas and Arizona are seeing their hospitalization numbers leveling off or starting to decline.

Hopefully we see a longer term steady decline compared with the last time when things just got reopened recklessly and we had the big surge. The cases leveling off will hopefully help ease the testing shortages that have been impacting test results coming back in a timely enough manner.

How the numbers change once K-12 schools and especially universities reopen to in person instruction will be the next stress test on containment in my opinion.

57 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

Also, it appears that the number of cases, percent positive rate nationally are leveling off. Some of the hard hit states like Texas and Arizona are seeing their hospitalization numbers leveling off or starting to decline.

Hopefully we see a longer term steady decline compared with the last time when things just got reopened recklessly and we had the big surge. The cases leveling off will hopefully help ease the testing shortages that have been impacting test results coming back in a timely enough manner.

How the numbers change once K-12 schools and especially universities reopen to in person instruction will be the next stress test on containment in my opinion.

I think high schools and colleges are of particular concern.  Teenagers/college kids seem to be more efficient spreaders.  

12 hours ago, OSUmetstud said:

It was like 1100. It was the results of the stage 1/2 oxford/azn vaccine. The moderna one last week was stage 1 results and that was 45 people. 

I'm more hopeful than ever will have a viable vaccine in early 2021. 

I wonder how this will go if and when we have one. Like will you be allowed to attend public events unless you get your shot? Will anti vaxxers be barred from just about everything? It's going to be a strange road back

3 hours ago, outflow said:

Four possible exposure sites in my county listed today, all bars, after multiple people test positive who were on a party bus that visited each location the 11th. 

Gross negligence and stupidity right there. That is exactly how you have an explosion in cases.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Stebo said:

Gross negligence and stupidity right there. That is exactly how you have an explosion in cases.

Alot of people,myself included, were really surprise to hear that the party bus provider was even allowed to operate with the restrictions still in place at ths time. 

There was also a church locally with a case, a chiropractor who tested positive, and a factory with 3 cases in the past 2 weeks.

I think this county has seen like 20 new cases in about a week and a half which is the most since the start of the outbreak. Not many in the overall scheme of things but being a rural area the sudden jump does cause concern especially with the,until very recently, relative lack of precautions people took when out and about.

• Sad 1

On 7/20/2020 at 11:30 PM, ovweather said:

I’m not sure what good these mask mandates do when stores don’t enforce it. I was in Kroger last night, where they not only have a company mask mandate, but KY has a statewide one as well. Signs on the door stating masks required to enter. Low and behold I saw a few shoppers and even store employees (including the security guard) not wearing masks. Didn’t even have one pulled down around their necks. Of course no manager / employee was enforcing it. It’s about time to start handing out fines to those that refuse to comply with mandates. No warning, either. We should be past the stage of begging the fools to please wear a mask until further notice.

Kroger employee here, they won't let us enforce it because all the states who passed the mask mandates also added a "medical exemption" clause, so everyone who doesn't have a mask on is claiming they have some magical disease where a mask will kill them. We might be forcing people to bring in proof soon because of that.

• Sad 3

7 hours ago, outflow said:

Alot of people,myself included, were really surprise to hear that the party bus provider was even allowed to operate with the restrictions still in place at ths time. 

There was also a church locally with a case, a chiropractor who tested positive, and a factory with 3 cases in the past 2 weeks.

I think this county has seen like 20 new cases in about a week and a half which is the most since the start of the outbreak. Not many in the overall scheme of things but being a rural area the sudden jump does cause concern especially with the,until very recently, relative lack of precautions people took when out and about.

That is how you overwhelm is a rural hospital too.

6 hours ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

Kroger employee here, they won't let us enforce it because all the states who passed the mask mandates also added a "medical exemption" clause, so everyone who doesn't have a mask on is claiming they have some magical disease where a mask will kill them. We might be forcing people to bring in proof soon because of that.

Delta has gone as far as to have passengers who claim they have medical conditions see their company doctors for a physical before granting them entry onto their planes. 

As far as grocery stores, my understanding is that technically you still don't have to let folks in without a mask as long as you provide "reasonable accomodations" (such as employees doing the shopping on their behalf). This is what some Trader Joe's locations have been doing.

I definitely see more businesses resorting to these types of measures.

5 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Delta has gone as far as to have passengers who claim they have medical conditions see their company doctors for a physical before granting them entry onto their planes. 

As far as grocery stores, my understanding is that technically you still don't have to let folks in without a mask as long as you provide "reasonable accomodations" (such as employees doing the shopping on their behalf). This is what some Trader Joe's locations have been doing.

I definitely see more businesses resorting to these types of measures.

I will say this: for a lot of people with flying anxiety wearing a mask, thus reducing the flow of oxygen, would exacerbate their anxiety.  Of course, in general there is a push to have fewer people travel due to Coronavirus, so I suppose if the airlines lose customers due to this concern (and it is a valid requirement because planes are breeding grounds for transmitting illness) they view it as a cost of doing business.

18 minutes ago, wisconsinwx said:

I will say this: for a lot of people with flying anxiety wearing a mask, thus reducing the flow of oxygen, would exacerbate their anxiety.  Of course, in general there is a push to have fewer people travel due to Coronavirus, so I suppose if the airlines lose customers due to this concern (and it is a valid requirement because planes are breeding grounds for transmitting illness) they view it as a cost of doing business.

People really shouldn't be flying unless it is an emergency. I work at DTW and I see tons of people vacationing coming back from places like TX/FL/CA/NV/Carolinas. There is absolutely no reason to be going to those places for vacation right now. And I partially blame the airlines for this much traveling as they have lowered their rates to get people to fly, all that does is bring out the lower income people who are going to have more of a risk to begin with.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/21/2020 at 7:46 AM, Torchageddon said:

What would happen if he had pumped his gas first and then went in to pay? :) This hypothetical also assumes no CC terminal attached outside to each pump.

Ive actually wondered this myself haha. Yesterday I noticed signs saying you have to pre pay outside for gas if you dont have a mask. 10 people have been ticketed in Brampton already for not wearing the masks. Just like the tickets for the parks earlier in the year, my guess is enough tickets get handed out and people will listen. 

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

There are price wars going on right now in the airline industry to help people get back traveling again. Jet blue is doing buy one flight get one free and southwest is doing insanely cheap flights all over the US right now as low as $34. 

Yeah and to me that is just insane. It is just way to spread the virus when you shouldn't be, just like Disney World being open.

8 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Yeah and to me that is just insane. It is just way to spread the virus when you shouldn't be, just like Disney World being open.

No offense to you Stebo but should we lock down until a vaccine is presented?  If a mask helps prevent the spread, let's all strap one one and go about our business. Do you want airlines to go bankrupt, only to bail them out with our tax dollars?  Guess I'm confused.  Life has to go on.

Just now, weatherbo said:

No offense to you Stebo but should we lock down until a vaccine is presented?  If a mask helps prevent the spread, let's all strap one one and go about our business. Do you want airlines to go bankrupt, only to bail them out with our tax dollars?  Guess I'm confused.  Life has to go on.

Do I think we should lock down, no. But do I think full planes should be flying down to places where COVID has exploded in the last few weeks, no. Those airlines already got money to last until October to begin with too, so they are actually flying at profit now, which is why they can charge next to nothing. Even then they still eliminated quite a bit of routes and anything international. I am just for the prevention of needless spread. Flying to Disney or the beaches in Florida is just needless especially as that is one of the states doing the absolute minimum while having one of the highest rates of cases.

I mean if we want to be honest the entire country should have done a lock down months ago but that was never going to happen, so we have to do what we can to prevent spread needlessly until there is a vaccine.

7 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Do I think we should lock down, no. But do I think full planes should be flying down to places where COVID has exploded in the last few weeks, no. Those airlines already got money to last until October to begin with too, so they are actually flying at profit now, which is why they can charge next to nothing. Even then they still eliminated quite a bit of routes and anything international. I am just for the prevention of needless spread. Flying to Disney or the beaches in Florida is just needless especially as that is one of the states doing the absolute minimum while having one of the highest rates of cases.

I mean if we want to be honest the entire country should have done a lock down months ago but that was never going to happen, so we have to do what we can to prevent spread needlessly until there is a vaccine.

I respect your opinion, but think you're completely wrong.  Life cannot and should not cease to exist because a certain high risk group of people are susceptible to the virus.  There are precautions and mitigation that can help reduce the spread until a vaccine.  Shutting down the world and people's lives is not an option.  It will cause more harm than good.  Couch 'taters may not get this.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

20 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

I respect your opinion, but think you're completely wrong.  Life cannot and should not cease to exist because a certain high risk group of people are susceptible to the virus.  There are precautions and mitigation that can help reduce the spread until a vaccine.  Shutting down the world and people's lives is not an option.  It will cause more harm than good.  Couch 'taters may not get this.

I'm not saying ceasing life though. But I don't see how a trip to Florida right now is remotely necessary. If you need to vacation, vacation locally, we have plenty of wonderful places here.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

This argument is weird to me. Where in his statement did he say everything shut down and shutting peoples lives completely down? He named a few measures one should expect to deal with in a global pandemic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wmsptwx said:

This argument is weird to me. Where in his statement did he say everything shut down and shutting peoples lives completely down? He named a few measures one should expect to deal with in a global pandemic.

Wear a mask and social distance. Otherwise life should carry on without restrictions on where and when you can go.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

Yeah as someone who travels a lot its very tough to see these deals and not go somewhere. But my work is being really strict in traveling so I think I may stick exploring every piece of New York the next few months until the states get taken off the mandatory 2 week quarantine list.

Just now, weatherbo said:

Wear a mask and social distance. Otherwise life should carry on without restrictions on where and when you can go.

How does one social distance at Disney World. It is impossible. Plus mask wearing isn't a big thing in Florida, Texas, the Carolinas.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stebo said:

How does one social distance at Disney World. It is impossible. Plus mask wearing isn't a big thing in Florida, Texas, the Carolinas.

The Disney safety protocols seem pretty good from what I saw.  Bigger concern may be when people are at their hotels.  Of course it is one thing to have protocols in place and another to follow them all of the time.  The timing is poor since they reopened during an ongoing surge, so this Disney experiment will be interesting to follow.  

5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The Disney safety protocols seem pretty good from what I saw.  Bigger concern may be when people are at their hotels.  Of course it is one thing to have protocols in place and another to follow them all of the time.  The timing is poor since they reopened during an ongoing surge, so this Disney experiment will be interesting to follow.  

Yeah there protocols are good on paper, but there are countless pictures and videos online of the exact opposite occurring down there.

• Like 1