Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

The bars are tough to deal with.  I think it was the governor of Texas (or maybe someone else) who said they just aren't made for a pandemic.  Perfect environment and circumstances to spread a virus.    

If we had near universal mask usage (especially in areas where cases are high) and people stopped these large gatherings, whether it be bars, birthday parties, grad parties, etc. it would go a long way to getting the cases down.   

Unfortunately I think bars and indoor dining may have to be closed. Maybe you could extend a specialized stimulus package for the next 6 months to sustain restaurants and small business owners of bars. It seems certain establishments are just not conductive to preventing the spread of covid. The idea of shared indoor space without masks is a problem. Specific and targeted closures of certain types of businesses maybe the only way to try and get this under control without resorting to widespread lockdowns. I think states like IL and NY should proactively already be taking these measures based on whats happening in southern states

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jonger said:

I'm speaking about the fact that people in the prime of their lives are being destroyed economically so we can protect 85 year old obese smokers.

35454631_Annotation2020-07-12152750.thumb.png.57ee40cfbcede9e5cf8ebbdb51e70480.png

Hospitals are overwhelmed with 30-50 year olds.  The tally hasn’t shown many 85 year olds hospitalized in the last three weeks, much less your speculation if they smoke or are obese. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonger said:

Let's just quadruple our debt so that obese 85 year old's get another few weeks at life.

We can all work for Amazon and Walmart when this is all over.

You'll be an excellent door greeter in our new economy.

For the last time it isn't just old or fat people getting this. Jesus Christ at least try to be remotely objective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jonger said:

Nobody wants any deaths, but at some point we will have to choose between forcing quarantine or self-quarantine. I know it makes me sounds like a fat-cat capitalist, but how much suffering will take place if we destroy our entire way of life and plunge our society into extreme poverty? At some point that question needs an answer. It's possible that no matter what we do, this won't go away. We're now seeing flare ups in countries that had it under control previously.

You have zero statistics to back up your poverty suspicions.  Instead of posted back dated COVID charts from 3 months ago, explain how we’ve plunged into poverty.  

So then what’s happening to the hospital systems in Houston, parts of Florida and California are all lies?  It’s July.  The most cases hospitals see this time of the year are accidents, not viruses. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Jonger said:

Shocked to see this.... I feel like one lucky SOB now. Apparently I'm in that 0.4% at the bottom. We're killing it. There really aren't many small business owners in retail food these days, that has to be the explanation for it.

106488266-1586966890476202001415_impact_on_small_business_revenue_update_final.png?v=1586966920&w=630&h=354

pnl.thumb.png.64fad2404b4bf134ac24ab97b78cc106.png

Yeah I kind of just give up with your careless nonsense.  

Thankful this forum has a block feature

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jonger said:

20% of businesses go out in their first year. We're going to blow past that at this rate.

Here's the thing, that $600 per week and PPP is giving you a false sense of where we are right now. Quite a few people (a sh-t ton) have MORE money staying home right now, so every open business has a larger pool of customers to sell to. That's going to end and many of those businesses that gave those people eligibility for the unemployment won't be there. The real pain hasn't even started yet.

No one even talks about health insurance. You don't get health insurance while on UI. You have to pay for Cobra and its extremely expensive. Luckily I get health insurance through my employer instead of my wife or we'd be screwed. What happens when someone gets another serious illness or car accident while on UI with no health insurance? They go bankrupt essentially.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Stebo said:

For the last time it isn't just old or fat people getting this. Jesus Christ at least try to be remotely objective.

It's not just old and fat people getting this. Lots of younger people are getting infected by this virus. But 95%+ of the deaths are from old people and those with pre-existing conditions. Very few healthy people die from this. And yes I know there are examples of this, but they are few compared to the general sample size.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jonger said:

20% of businesses go out in their first year. We're going to blow past that at this rate.

Here's the thing, that $600 per week and PPP is giving you a false sense of where we are right now. Quite a few people (a sh-t ton) have MORE money staying home right now, so every open business has a larger pool of customers to sell to. That's going to end and many of those businesses that gave those people eligibility for the unemployment won't be there. The real pain hasn't even started yet.

toally agree 100%. I can't tell you how many people i've talked to that said they are just rolling in the free money right now. Normally this is the slowest time of the year for my business but I am busier now than i am in my typical busy time of year. Once the PUA runs out, a whole lot more people are going to be hurting

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

No one even talks about health insurance. You don't get health insurance while on UI. You have to pay for Cobra and its extremely expensive. Luckily I get health insurance through my employer instead of my wife or we'd be screwed. What happens when someone gets another serious illness or car accident while on UI with no health insurance? They go bankrupt essentially.

This pandemic is exposing the employee based insurance to be a liability. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

another big ol' check in the bad news column.

re-infections have occurred within a few months for some people and are often worse the 2nd time around. rosy visions of herd immunity and vaccines knocking this out should be put on hold until larger-sample-sized studies can be done.

So what you're telling me is life is never going to be the same?  :(

41 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

It's not just old and fat people getting this. Lots of younger people are getting infected by this virus. But 95%+ of the deaths are from old people and those with pre-existing conditions. Very few healthy people die from this. And yes I know there are examples of this, but they are few compared to the general sample size.

Death isnt the impact to look at. We have thousands in hospitals with compromised respiratory systems of all ages except for young kids. That is a problem.

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

I was one that originally thought that immunity would help but this is looking like limited immunity. I am starting to fear that until a vaccine is done we may be in some trouble.

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

1000% agree. I got laid off awhile ago and as soon as my cobra ran out I got a sprained ankle playing hockey and my wife had to have emergency kidney stone surgery in the same week. It set me back quite a bit.

As much as I dont want to get political this does strengthen the argument for universal healthcare at least at a bare minimum for emergency.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Science and technology will help us win in the end, so I'm not sure I'd say never. I'm definitely not convinced the old American Way will be part of our future, though.

• Like 3

Guest ovweather
11 hours ago, purduewx80 said:

another big ol' check in the bad news column.

re-infections have occurred within a few months for some people and are often worse the 2nd time around. rosy visions of herd immunity and vaccines knocking this out should be put on hold until larger-sample-sized studies can be done.

That article only mentions 3 people who apparently suffered reinfection. A very small percentage out of the millions who have had it. There’s still so many variables and questions regarding Covid, and for that matter all viruses. The biggest question is still why some get deathly ill while others have zero symptoms, so I guess that’s where one’s current health / immune health status and genetics, just to name two, can be big determining factors. One big question is what role does genetics play in Covid? Is there a “Covid gene” in some people just like there are cancer and heart disease genes in some people? Nature works in very strange ways.

This quote from that article pretty much sums it up that reinfection is also a normal feature of many viruses:

What’s more, repeat infections in a short time period are a feature of many viruses, including other coronaviruses. So if some Covid-19 patients are getting reinfected after a second exposure, it would not be particularly unusual.

A good case study is Sweden. They remained completely open this entire time and although they have more deaths then most of the EU per capita they are decreasing in cases.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2020-07-07/swedens-daily-tally-of-new-covid-19-cases-falls-to-lowest-since-may

The death toll relative to the size of the population has been many times higher than those of its Nordic neighbours, where authorities took a stricter approach, but lower than in some countries that locked down, such as Britain and Italy.

Health Agency data showed 14 new COVID-19 deaths were recorded on Tuesday, bringing the total to 5,447, more than half of which have occurred at nursing homes and among the elderly receiving home care services.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

If we can get a vaccine that gives most recipients immunity for 6-12 months, that is better than nothing and should probably be considered a big win.  They are trying to do something that has never been done before (vaccine for a coronavirus) and trying to do it in record time.  Odds are it won't be quite as effective as we'd like.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Angrysummons said:

I don't think a vaccine will matter as the rate of infection is likely to peter out by December.

Any reasoning for that?  That is the time when I would expect an increase in cases since you will have people getting together for the holidays.  The one caveat could be the herd immunity angle and if the virus has already reached a significant percentage of the population by then, but as we've seen, there are indications that the immune response doesn't seem to last long in some people.

24 minutes ago, Angrysummons said:

I would be careful with Sweden, they did partial shutdowns and mitigation while other countries in Europe pretty much crushed the curve by May. Probably if there had been caring leadership in the US, that is what you would have seen here.

Or those other countries just delayed the inevitable. See Texas, Arizona, Florida, etc..

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

California shutting down again. 

Ontario is about to enter stage 3 outside the GTA and Windsor. Indoor restaurants and bars and almost all business can reopen with heavy regulations. This stage is where California, Texas, Florida all fell apart. Ontario is in for a nervous 3-4 weeks to see what happens. 

Though mask use is mandatory in most of the population centers and not wearing one gets you shunned. One guy tried to walk into the gas station today and they told him to leave and the rest of us with masks were openly making eye contact with him when he came in. Unlikely he does that again as the embarrassment level must have been extreme haha

23 hours ago, Hoosier said:

The bars are tough to deal with.  I think it was the governor of Texas (or maybe someone else) who said they just aren't made for a pandemic.  Perfect environment and circumstances to spread a virus.    

If we had near universal mask usage (especially in areas where cases are high) and people stopped these large gatherings, whether it be bars, birthday parties, grad parties, etc. it would go a long way to getting the cases down.   

Bingo! The amount of backyard parties right now is wild, especially during fireworks season. People are going to hangout socially, there is no stopping that lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mississaugasnow said:

Ontario is about to enter stage 3 outside the GTA and Windsor. Indoor restaurants and bars and almost all business can reopen with heavy regulations. This stage is where California, Texas, Florida all fell apart. Ontario is in for a nervous 3-4 weeks to see what happens. 

Though mask use is mandatory in most of the population centers and not wearing one gets you shunned. One guy tried to walk into the gas station today and they told him to leave and the rest of us with masks were openly making eye contact with him when he came in. Unlikely he does that again as the embarrassment level must have been extreme haha

Never in my life would I have thought that someday people could be made to believe that breathing their own CO2 on an extended basis would be considered healthy and safe. Just incredible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 6

1 minute ago, Sidewinder said:

Never in my life would I have thought that someday people could be made to believe that breathing their own CO2 on an extended basis would be considered healthy and safe. Just incredible. 

Crazy, just like watching the doctors slowly kill themselves in the operating room day after day.  Not to mention the mass deaths in Asian countries from mask wearing.  Not a time to trust the "experts."

• Like 6