Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

31 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Could be headed for about 65k today.  

Not sure how high the daily number can go as we are going to max out test processing capability at some point.  There have already been reports of test results taking longer to come back now compared to a month or so ago. 

You could certainly make an argument that we actually have over 100k new cases per day right now since significant numbers of asymptomatic people wouldn't have a reason to get tested. 

I think we definitely have over 100k, models like the yyg estimate that we are probably at 4-5x the number reported right now. Back in March it was probably 10-12x. Current estimate is 250k-260k new cases per day in the US right now. We are very close to the estimated daily number of cases from the peak in the first wave. Thank God it is in younger people this time and that medical providers and treatments have improved.

The other problem aside from processing time is that once you start to see shortages in testing capacity, tests start to be rationed again to the high risk and hospitalized. Also the data becomes much less useful from a public health case identification/isolation/contact tracing perspective. We are fully back to mitigation only method to contain the outbreak in most places seeing fast rising cases.

39 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

71,000 new cases.

Pretty crazy to see the numbers this high. Today was also a huge testing day, 823k tests, over 100k more than last week so still a slight rise in % positive but some of the big jump in cases can be attributed to the number of tests today.

Also new today, Florida is finally reporting covid hospitalization numbers, their 7,000 are 3rd behind Texas which crossed 10k hospitalizations and California which is up to nearly 7,900.

24 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

IL ramping back up now, too. Numbers from these states that opened early should've been the first clue that this would happen.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/coronavirus/illinois-reports-highest-daily-number-of-coronavirus-cases-in-more-than-a-month/2303179/

The thing is it took a while for the increases to really take off in the states that reopened early.  It seems like there is some kind of tipping point of too much reopening, too many people getting careless with their behavior, or some combination.  It's part art and part science as to how much reopening you can get away with, and some states may be able to push it a little more than others. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The thing is it took a while for the increases to really take off in the states that reopened early.  It seems like there is some kind of tipping point of too much reopening, too many people getting careless with their behavior, or some combination.  It's part art and part science as to how much reopening you can get away with, and some states may be able to push it a little more than others. 

Hope so.

Tourists are back at Willis Tower today. Fortunately, everyone I saw in line was wearing a mask properly. 

2 hours ago, purduewx80 said:

Hope so.

Tourists are back at Willis Tower today. Fortunately, everyone I saw in line was wearing a mask properly. 

I can tell you from my experience golfing a couple places west of Randall Rd. this week; covid is an afterthought. No masks inside the proshop, beverage cart lady handing out drinks with no mask. Was passing through Elburn after golf and stopped for a beer at an outdoor patio bar. No masks anywhere including the employees.

• Sad 2

Guest ovweather

I guess the hot summer months aren’t having any effects on the virus, as was believed back in spring. Or maybe it is, but in a bad way. At the rate it’s going, what’s it going to look like come November / December? Could be a lame holiday season for parties and family get togethers. Worse yet, influenza and other colder month viruses will be ramping back up in a few months. Maybe all the face mask wearing and cleanliness practices will mitigate the flu and other viruses.

On 7/10/2020 at 10:49 PM, Cary67 said:

I can tell you from my experience golfing a couple places west of Randall Rd. this week; covid is an afterthought. No masks inside the proshop, beverage cart lady handing out drinks with no mask. Was passing through Elburn after golf and stopped for a beer at an outdoor patio bar. No masks anywhere including the employees.

Suburbs 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jonger said:

Ohio?

ohio.thumb.png.a6db5347022f7285d0602f46c3ab3f26.png

He's part of the big second wave of cases that our country is experiencing. I know, lol cases - you've posted that a couple times. Pull up the cases chart for Ohio and he's in this second wave. You haven't posted "lol cases" recently since the deaths have spiked which occurred right as they were predicted to spike all around the south and southwest and increasingly in other places.

The story I shared is the prototypical second wave case, young person who mocks the virus and any restrictions to slow down the spread and catches it and dies. This is an American problem and I think it has a lot to do with our political situation here. I haven't heard of these types of situations coming out of Europe.

Here's another one from San Antonio https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/texas-news/san-antonio-patient-dies-after-attending-covid-party-doctor-says/2404937/

If Phineas were in here in know he'd have a meltdown about how the virus kills mostly elderly and how the media amplifies these young person cases to stoke fears.

It's true, young people usually get through this disease and most are asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic spreaders - which is also a dangerous part of this pandemic - but there are a bunch that will get severe covid and end up with serious lung and other organs damage, and a bunch that will die. Since the majority of cases has shifted younger, the deaths aren't rising as dramatically as NYC, thank God, but there are many more young people in these ICUs now, that's being reported in a bunch of places.

It's critical for young people to avoid this selfish mindset of invincibility and purposefully or inadvertently creating super spreading events with covid parties or bar crawls or similar. These are the events that give jet fuel to the epidemic and create case and subsequent hospitalization surges.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Yeah because if you don't die from it you are 100% fine. It is amazing how simple you are.

If you are sick for a week or two and then return to normal, then sure, it's not that big a deal at the end of the day.  The problem is when it doesn't go that way.  The longer term phenomenon is a real thing, we just don't know how prevalent that is.  And at this point it seems like there really isn't anything that doctors can do if you fall into that group that experiences longer term symptoms.  Just give it time and hope for the best. 

From a PA friend in Los angeles.

My buddy in Cali got called in today on his day off due to Covid rising like crazy over there.

From a PA in Atlanta

"Piedmont Newnan is second on the list and listed as TOTAL diversion. Doesn’t mean we can close our doors, we still treat whatever comes. Don’t come to the ER unless it is an emergency. Expect to be seen in the lobby as there are no beds in house or in the ER. This type of diversion is nothing new, but not something we usually deal with in the middle of the summer. We have been full for weeks now."

image.thumb.png.c56c3086dd609f8d3a148660855fc70a.png

•  

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

If you are sick for a week or two and then return to normal, then sure, it's not that big a deal at the end of the day.  The problem is when it doesn't go that way.  The longer term phenomenon is a real thing, we just don't know how prevalent that is.  And at this point it seems like there really isn't anything that doctors can do if you fall into that group that experiences longer term symptoms.  Just give it time and hope for the best. 

We don't even know what kind of impacts this has beyond the sickness itself. Even if we use deaths as the benchmark, they are up 27% over the last week.

• Like 1

Anyone know why the south is exploding right now while having low case loads in March-May?

Also, we are basically 100% open  here besides gyms and movie theaters. Why are New Yorks cases not going up?

I think there is some truth to the vast majority of the population being immune to this virus. No one has been social distancing here for the last month. I will say that 80-90% of people wear masks here.

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

From my buddy in San Diego

not sick enough to go to a hospital but the symptoms come in waves and kinda scary at times
i got swabbed yesterday, the testing is so backed up i might not get confirmed results until late next week
i barely slept 4 hours last night

im getting these headaches that come in waves and get dizzy
the headaches are ****ing brutal

They had a party of 30 people on July 4th, started getting symptoms on Thursday.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Anyone know why the south is exploding right now while having low case loads in March-May?

Also, we are basically 100% open  here besides gyms and movie theaters. Why are New Yorks cases not going up?

I think there is some truth to the vast majority of the population being immune to this virus. No one has been social distancing here for the last month. I will say that 80-90% of people wear masks here.

Bingo, mask wearing wasn't even a thought down there until like a week ago.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I have seen speculation about people being inside more in the south now compared to the Mar-May period.  Not sure how much I buy that explanation though. 

When you have 80-90% mask wearing, it seemingly puts a big dent in the virus' ability to spread.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I have seen speculation about people being inside more in the south now compared to the Mar-May period.  Not sure how much I buy that explanation though. 

When you have 80-90% mask wearing, it seemingly puts a big dent in the virus' ability to spread.  

Mar-May is still extremely hot down in Florida/Texas. I can see the relevance up here as everyone is outside most of the day around where I live and it's easy to social distance. I think the indoor restaurants is the key to transmitting it quickly as well as large at home parties indoors. I've had a few pool parties but everyone stays outside and we stay under 10 people. It will be interesting to see what happens during fall if cases start to rise in the northern states. Covid+Flu is not going to be fun. We just had a really warm fall/winter, I doubt we we have another one that warm.

I am fairly certain I had this virus back around mid March. I awoke one morning around 2AM with a 101 fever and body aches that honestly felt like they were in every crevice of my body. Day two featured one of the most horrendous headaches I’ve ever experienced in my life, like someone took a sledgehammer to my skull, with extreme dizziness, fever lingered as well. Day three featured a horrible headache once again, dizziness, coughing, chills. My cough lingered for two weeks after that. 

Whatever it was, I’m fairly certain was not the flu, as I never had diarrhea or vomiting. 

3 minutes ago, Chambana said:

I am fairly certain I had this virus back around mid March. I awoke one morning around 2AM with a 101 fever and body aches that honestly felt like they were in every crevice of my body. Day two featured one of the most horrendous headaches I’ve ever experienced in my life, like someone took a sledgehammer to my skull, with extreme dizziness, fever lingered as well. Day three featured a horrible headache once again, dizziness, coughing, chills. My cough lingered for two weeks after that. 

Whatever it was, I’m fairly certain was not the flu, as I never had diarrhea or vomiting. 

Go get tested for the antibodies. I got tested for free last week and was negative. It was a 5 second blood test.

35 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Yeah because if you don't die from it you are 100% fine. It is amazing how simple you are.

Previously, they were dying. I'd say the difference between dead and not dead is a sign that either doctors are better at treating it or the virus isn't as strong.

I'd rather not plunge the country into a 2nd depression over this. That's just my opinion.

• Like 1