Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

1 hour ago, nwohweather said:

Because this thing is becoming less lethal & isn’t much worse than the flu. Our local news did a bit today on how the death rate has not increased at all, and in fact is down from April. 89e0dd8df2f91e4c4e3d56524cd2c61e.jpg

Obviously this data doesn’t mean go mask-free, but clearly it’s only killing 10-15 people a day. Similar statistics to the flu quite honestly

That and the fact that the largest concentration of cases are young adults is probably why hospitalizations are not trending badly.  That said, it is fair to not sleep on long term effects even in some younger people, so that does not mean to stop worrying about the virus altogether.

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, wisconsinwx said:

That and the fact that the largest concentration of cases are young adults is probably why hospitalizations are not trending badly.  That said, it is fair to not sleep on long term effects even in some younger people, so that does not mean to stop worrying about the virus altogether.

There was always a lag to the deaths so we should see what happens in a few weeks if deaths spike.

48 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Yeah that one virus is killing about 7% of all people dying in a day. That is quite a perspective that can be prevented if people actually cared enough.

It's a comorbidity, most of those people have 1 foot in the grave. 

Do I wish I could snap my fingers and make it all go away? Sure.

Do I think this is worth plunging us into a massive depression that could last a decade? **** no.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Stebo said:

There was always a lag to the deaths so we should see what happens in a few weeks if deaths spike.

Well, you're down to about 10 days before the spike should hit these states. So far nadda. 

The elderly and immune compromised people should quarentine and the rest of us get back to life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonger said:

It's a comorbidity, most of those people have 1 foot in the grave. 

Do I wish I could snap my fingers and make it all go away? Sure.

Do I think this is worth plunging us into a massive depression that could last a decade? **** no.

You have a comorbidity and yet you are so cavalier about it. And you still don't get it, if there wasn't preventative measures in place NYC would be a walk in the park compared to what would happen.

1 hour ago, Jonger said:

Well, you're down to about 10 days before the spike should hit these states. So far nadda. 

The elderly and immune compromised people should quarentine and the rest of us get back to life.

People need to wear masks if that’s going to be the case. It’s such a simple thing that prevents spread AND helps the economy. It’d win-win for society. There shouldn’t be a cultural battle about this. 

• Like 1

Good thing it is not November 20 or December 20 right now. 

That would be an absolute nightmare especially in the states that are spiking, as you'd be days away from people having family gatherings for the holidays and passing the virus on.  

Anyway, as far as the current situation, conventional wisdom seems to be that deaths will increase again to some extent in the coming weeks, but we can hope it is a smallish rise and not a large one.   Nationwide it would be interesting to see how many people >65 are in the hospital now compared to a couple weeks ago or a month ago.

5 hours ago, RyanDe680 said:

Interestingly, watching hospital data in both TX and FL, and hospital admission and ICU bed use going down the last 5 days (sometimes by large amounts), despite cases on the rise there for nearly 3 weeks now.  

Not disputing that but keep seeing reports on the news that hospitalizations and icu bed usage on the rise in TX,AZ, and Fl due to increasing case numbers. Cases increasing specially amongst 18 -40 yr olds due to bar scene and probably indoor dining.Not sure what to believe. I can see the death numbers are declining per day  but would figure they will begin to swing up in the next 4-6 weeks due to lag time for those 20yr olds to give it to  the more vulnerable population and see deaths several weeks after that.

On 6/28/2020 at 1:18 PM, Hoosier said:

I agree in not putting all the hope in a vaccine.  I mean, I think there will be one or multiple, but we have no idea how effective it will be.  It would be nice to get one that is wildly successful but it would be wise to keep expectations in check.

Look at what has been learned in the past several months.  Not rushing to intubate people even if their oxygen levels are shockingly low, a couple preexisting drugs that reduce hospital stay/mortality to some extent, etc.  Even among the people who have comorbidities/are older, they are in a better position to survive than they were several months ago.  And in a few more months, perhaps they will be even more likely to survive than they would be right now, before any potential vaccine.     

My guess is that the vaccine will not prevent infection but have some degree of efficacy in lowering the mortality rate. A less severe outcome, less hospitalizations but you still may become sick.

3 hours ago, Stebo said:

You have a comorbidity and yet you are so cavalier about it. And you still don't get it, if there wasn't preventative measures in place NYC would be a walk in the park compared to what would happen.

Hold the phone there. There's a big difference between some 300 lb. 65 year old with raging uncontrolled blood sugar and myself. I'm fit as **** bro.

Comorbidity... lol

The NYC theory has not been tested. I'm skeptical after seeing the flat death situation in other states.

1 hour ago, Cary67 said:

My guess is that the vaccine will not prevent infection but have some degree of efficacy in lowering the mortality rate. A less severe outcome, less hospitalizations but you still may become sick.

If that's the case there is way too much talk and excitement over a vaccine.  I'm guessing many would still be hesitant about large indoor gatherings even once we have a vaccine.  Let's hope that's not the case.

1 hour ago, Jonger said:

Hold the phone there. There's a big difference between some 300 lb. 65 year old with raging uncontrolled blood sugar and myself. I'm fit as **** bro.

Comorbidity... lol

The NYC theory has not been tested. I'm skeptical after seeing the flat death situation in other states.

Wish I had the basketball gif

3 hours ago, Jonger said:

Comorbidity... lol

You were diabetic, and even if you improved your health enough to not be classified as diabetic, you would more than likely still be pre-diabetes. No way you jumped out of both. This isn't me being an ass, this is me being serious. Even if you don't think it is something to be concerned about, you should be.

3 hours ago, Stebo said:

You were diabetic, and even if you improved your health enough to not be classified as diabetic, you would more than likely still be pre-diabetes. No way you jumped out of both. This isn't me being an ass, this is me being serious. Even if you don't think it is something to be concerned about, you should be.

Diabetes itself isn't what does a person in, that's why they almost always say "complications" from diabetes. High blood sugar damages the heart, kidneys, eyes and liver. If you have controlled blood sugar you aren't dealing with any of that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonger said:

Diabetes itself isn't what does a person in, that's why they almost always say "complications" from diabetes. High blood sugar damages the heart, kidneys, eyes and liver. If you have controlled blood sugar you aren't dealing with any of that. 

Not speaking to your health status specifically.Diabetes does long term damage to the vascular system. High levels of glucose adversely effect blood vessel walls and lining. Unfortunately the more studies done on Covid are showing it not only attacks the respiratory system but does neurological and organ damage also. Could be classified as a vascular disease as much as a respiratory one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jonger said:

This is impacting those who are diabetic worse, no matter what their blood sugar levels are. It is a known entity.

21 minutes ago, Stebo said:

This is impacting those who are diabetic worse, no matter what their blood sugar levels are. It is a known entity.

Wrong.

Diabetics have either a lack of insulin production or they're insulin resistant. Neither of those conditions matter if you are replacing the insulin your body isn't making correctly.

You're 100% wrong here.

Tell me more about diabetes though.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, Jonger said:

Wrong.

Diabetics have either a lack of insulin production or they're insulin resistant. Neither of those conditions matter if you are replacing the insulin your body isn't making correctly.

You're 100% wrong here.

Tell me more about diabetes though.

I am talking about the virus impacting diabetics, not diabetes itself and I know plenty about it being pre-diabetic myself plus having a grandmother who was diabetic most of her life.

Just now, Stebo said:

I am talking about the virus impacting diabetics, not diabetes itself and I know plenty about it being pre-diabetic myself plus having a grandmother who was diabetic most of her life.

Diabetes doesn't reduce life expectancy or health if blood sugars are managed.

You're a lightweight here bud, stay in your lane.

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Jonger said:

Diabetes doesn't reduce life expectancy or health if blood sugars are managed.

You're a lightweight here bud, stay in your lane.

I am talking about diabetes and the virus for the third time, nothing else. I am sorry you are too damn ignorant to see past your own personal biases.

Just now, Stebo said:

I am talking about diabetes and the virus for the third time, nothing else. I am sorry you are too damn ignorant to see past your own personal biases.

It's not about bias, it's a fact.

And why assume I'm the ignorant one here?

• Weenie 1

Just now, Jonger said:

It's not about bias, it's a fact.

And why assume I'm the ignorant one here?

It's a fact that this virus directly impacts those who are diabetic way more than anyone else except the elderly. Yes I agree that is a fact.

Just now, RyanDe680 said:

Wow, in FL the open ICU bed was at 1,411 2 days ago... today at 1,207

At this rate it is going to be 0 in 2 weeks. Fourth of July is going to make it worse too because none of them are taking any precautions down there.