Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

7 hours ago, Jonger said:

I haven't worn one in weeks. Crunched the numbers and just feel like a dolt considering the fact that it's a big nothingburger where I live.

This thing kills 90 year old nursing home residents and not very many of them at that. 

I wore one a few times when in Detroit and close by. 

This is what you call being uneducated to this pandemic. I am glad Livingston County isn't a hot bed, but you know what wasn't until it was? East Lansing. In a week they have had 76 cases alone connected to a bar there. It is about preventative measures not waiting until there is a problem. So you say you may feel like a dolt, but I'd rather feel like a dolt than be in a hospital bed. You have a preexisting condition as does your son. Be smarter about this.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, King James said:

The lecturing is wild

Its obvious that it will take at least that and more to convince people this is serious. You have people who think it is just a cold or just impacting old people still. These are myths that have been proven to be false months ago.

I may not agree but on some level I can understand not wearing a mask in low populated areas/areas where the disease prevalence is basically non existent.  

The mask science seems pretty good as far as reducing transmission.  Science has a way of coming to a conclusion only to later reach a different conclusion, so if the idea of masks resulting in lower transmission is wrong, then imo it's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.  If masks do reduce transmission, then we get the numbers down and don't have the stories about more cases dominating the news all the time. 

• Like 2

Its obvious that it will take at least that and more to convince people this is serious. You have people who think it is just a cold or just impacting old people still. These are myths that have been proven to be false months ago.

As always we can only control ourselves, and that’s a beautiful thing. I respect your decisions and approach to this virus.

But be nice to your fellow man. Nothing from Jonger has shown me he’s anything other than a normal dude passionate about weather. He’s neither uneducated nor dumb. He has an opinion that differs from yours.

That’s what makes it all turn
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, King James said:

As always we can only control ourselves, and that’s a beautiful thing. I respect your decisions and approach to this virus.

But be nice to your fellow man. Nothing from Jonger has shown me he’s anything other than a normal dude passionate about weather. He’s neither uneducated nor dumb. He has an opinion that differs from yours.

I'm sorry but when other peoples decision's put everyone elses health at risk they need to be called out on it. Look at the explosion in cases in Florida and the giant outbreak that bar in East Lansing caused.

• Like 2

I'm sorry but when other peoples decision's put everyone elses health at risk they need to be called out on it. Look at the explosion in cases in Florida and the giant outbreak that bar in East Lansing caused.

And none of what you and I say matters. Live with it. Pick your lane and find happiness brother

KJ I respect elements of your zen attitude but also have to take issue with elements of it - when individual freedom and choice are at the expense of others ability to enjoy freedom and choice, I think a commitment to staying in ones lane/taking your position and sticking with it becomes less zen and more selfish.

We’re (mostly) amateur weather enthusiasts who choose to understand more of the science behind the weather than our peers for the various reasons that make up our enthusiasm. When I saw the coronavirus thread pop up I thought it might fit pretty well given that it would be another very science oriented realm where we may take a little more of an educated amateur approach to discussion like we do the weather. Along that vein my contribution to the dialogue would be that in reading some of the recently published papers, the initial reluctance and conveyance that mask wearing didn’t matter was because all other known and studied coronaviruses to date were only spread when the infected was symptomatic. Only sick and symptomatic people actively spread SARS and the other studied coronaviruses. The medical and virology communities were quick to assume covid19 behaved the same until an overwhelming body of evidence started to show that for not entirely known reasons, a measurable percent of the infected are symptomless. Thus the flip flop on mask wearing recommendations, its as much to protect others from you in case you are infected unbeknownst to yourself as it is to protect you from others.

We have this fierce contingent of our populace that embraces individualism and individual freedoms at all costs, with some reasoning that “this is what our founding fathers wanted”. First of all, that was 250 years ago, this is a wildly different planet now vs then, and second of all you’d do well to take a history class again if that’s all you remember - this American experiment and our statehood were and are about a lot more than individual freedoms. More so about each persons right to have the opportunity to thrive and be happy - not that you can do whatever you want. Mask wearing is more rooted in what we were and are about than your individual choice not to wear a mask. Just my interpretation and opinion. “Promote the general welfare”

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

• Like 4

KJ I respect elements of your zen attitude but also have to take issue with elements of it - when individual freedom and choice are at the expense of others ability to enjoy freedom and choice, I think a commitment to staying in ones lane/taking your position and sticking with it becomes less zen and more selfish.  We’re (mostly) amateur weather enthusiasts who choose to understand more of the science behind the weather than our peers for the various reasons that make up our enthusiasm. When I saw the coronavirus thread pop up I thought it might fit pretty well given that it would be another very science oriented realm where we may take a little more of an educated amateur approach to discussion like we do the weather. Along that vein my contribution to the dialogue would be that in reading some of the recently published papers, the initial reluctance and conveyance that mask wearing didn’t matter was because all other known and studied coronaviruses to date were only spread when the infected was symptomatic. Only sick and symptomatic people actively spread SARS and the other studied coronaviruses. The medical and virology communities were quick to assume covid19 behaved the same until an overwhelming body of evidence started to show that for not entirely known reasons, a measurable percent of the infected are symptomless. Thus the flip flop on mask wearing recommendations, its as much to protect others from you in case you are infected unbeknownst to yourself as it is to protect you from others.

We have this fierce contingent of our populace that embraces individualism and individual freedoms at all costs, with some reasoning that “this is what our founding fathers wanted”. First of all, that was 250 years ago, this is a wildly different planet now vs then, and second of all you’d do well to take a history class again if that’s all you remember - this American experiment and our statehood were and are about a lot more than individual freedoms. More so about each persons right to have the opportunity to thrive and be happy - not that you can do whatever you want. Mask wearing is more rooted in what we were and are about than your individual choice not to wear a mask. Just my interpretation and opinion. “Promote the general welfare”

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

I’ll address this only once cause I love this forum 

But I do not share your trust in government and I question the intent of the implementation of television

322 and 846 are numbers that have meaning and I’ll leave it at that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guest ovweather
1 hour ago, King James said:

But wouldn't being nice to your fellow man mean you would wear a mask out of respect to them? What if you unknowingly have the virus because you're asymptomatic? Is it nice of you to go out in public and be spreading your virus because you refuse to wear a mask? Isn't that being selfish and not nice?

Now with that said, I do understand the logic of not wearing a mask. After all, viruses are always circulating around the human population. Maybe we should wear a mask in public at all times? But then again, we have immune systems for a reason, and should have a solid understanding of the science of what we need to do to keep our immune systems functioning properly at all times. But with Covid, it is so new and has proven to be quite deadly to some, so in the short-term, just wear a damn mask until we have a better understanding and a firm grasp on the virus.

If wearing a mask is that much of an inconvenience, then one needs to reassess his / her life on many levels.

But wouldn't being nice to your fellow man mean you would wear a mask out of respect to them? What if you unknowingly have the virus because you're asymptomatic? Is it nice of you to go out in public and be spreading your virus because you refuse to wear a mask? Isn't that being selfish and not nice?

Now with that said, I do understand the logic of not wearing a mask. After all, viruses are always circulating around the human population. Maybe we should wear a mask in public at all times? But then again, we have immune systems for a reason, and should have a solid understanding of the science of what we need to do to keep our immune systems functioning properly at all times. But with Covid, it is so new and has proven to be quite deadly to some, so in the short-term, just wear a damn mask until we have a better understanding and a firm grasp on the virus.

If wearing a mask is that much of an inconvenience, then one needs to reassess his / her life on many levels.

I don’t need to reassess my life, though I constantly do, that’s growth. But if you’re ever in need I won’t turn you away. Thanks for the thoughts

55 minutes ago, King James said:

Live with it.

That's pretty much the entire problem, though. The science at this moment points to a significant number of people literally not being able to 'live with it' if everyone that can doesn't wear a mask in public while this pandemic is happening.

I have an immediate family member that is temporarily immunocompromised that I'm trying my best to protect but it feels as if people like you just don't seem to care about the risk you are placing on others like him. You, unfortunately in this case, are a citizen of the same county as I am and it's entirely possible we may physically cross paths. While I agree arguments over the internet usually don't matter, what you do could very well affect what happens to someone I care about in the future.

I recognize that is is a bad situation for everyone for varying reasons but I don't think it's a huge ask to wear a mask so those that may be in a worse situation have a better chance of getting through this. I'm not asking anyone to trust the government or what's on television but to have a bit of compassion for everyone else that needs it right now. I'm not personally in an age group that has to worry about this as much but I choose to wear a mask when I'm in public for the ones who may fight for their lives if they catch this.

That's pretty much the entire problem, though. The science at this moment points to a significant number of people literally not being able to 'live with it' if everyone that can doesn't wear a mask in public while this pandemic is happening.
I have an immediate family member that is temporarily immunocompromised that I'm trying my best to protect but it feels as if people like you just don't seem to care about the risk you are placing on others like him. You, unfortunately in this case, are a citizen of the same county as I am and it's entirely possible we may physically cross paths. While I agree arguments over the internet usually don't matter, what you do could very well affect what happens to someone I care about in the future.
I recognize that is is a bad situation for everyone for varying reasons but I don't think it's a huge ask to wear a mask so those that may be in a worse situation have a better chance of getting through this. I'm not asking anyone to trust the government or what's on television but to have a bit of compassion for everyone else that needs it right now. I'm not personally in an age group that has to worry about this as much but I choose to wear a mask when I'm in public for the ones who may fight for their lives if they catch this.

Are you aware of nonlinear warfare? For every link you can provide that say masks help, I can provide one that says they do not. And that goes for pretty much any “news” at this point. We are in deep and that much we can all recognize. You have a source, I have a source, and your neighbor has a source.

Why is this? You and I could meet at a bar and I bet you could convince me to wear a mask if the conversation was sincere. I love my fellow man

So why does the news, internet, tv, and science (CIG and Nature magazine 1984 Silvertooth sidebar as breadcrumbs), pin me against you when we are sharing the same experience and reacting differently?

I consider the possibility that mask wearers and non mask wearers are very much alike and seeking the same resolution....a life free of fear.

The source of the fear, IMO, is up for debate and where that conversation in the bar would naturally go.

We pick up the tab at the end of the night and agree no matter what to help each other when the time comes.
  • Like 1

There is literally no point in arguing with pig-headed science deniers. Let them live their fearless, ignorant lives. 

Nice man 

If you found this to be an argument I apologize.

It’s sharing

Words matter. Reply to me directly

• Thanks 1

Hate to say it but the USA is in serious trouble and idk why but everywhere you turn these days is Americans arguing about facts vs fiction about the virus, "freedom", my political viewpoints vs yours, and who knows what else. It's enough to drive us all over the edge.

Ontario premier even says he will not support the border reopening and tbh we all feel the same as him. This virus is real, its deadly, you have to take precautions, and we're all at risk of death if we catch it. 

If it kills 1% of those infected, USA is looking at 3.5 million and everyone seems to be actively trying to expedite the process while the rest of us in the modern world have nearly stopped the virus in its tracks for now.

I don't get it?

• Like 3

Just now, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

This. I work in a grocery store five days a week and we just opened up the bottle room, their "individual freedom" doesn't give me or any of us a choice. 

I’m sorry to hear that man. That must be incredibly frustrating for you.

If masks only protected the person wearing them, the whole “individual freedom” component would be 100% understandable. But masks protect the people *around* you. 

• Like 1

Just now, RobertSul said:

I’m sorry to hear that man. That must be incredibly frustrating for you.

If masks only protected the person wearing them, the whole “individual freedom” component would be 100% understandable. But masks protect the people *around* you. 

People dont either dont get that or dont care which is the most infuriating part.

We all have to wear them and do in the hope they'll keep us safe, and still five of us have gotten sick

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

This. I work in a grocery store five days a week and we just opened up the bottle room, their "individual freedom" doesn't give me or any of us a choice. 

Yep same with me working at the airport. People walking around with no mask on in an international terminal.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Yep same with me working at the airport. People walking around with no mask on in an international terminal.

Masks aren't required at your airport?  My aunt recently flew out of Midway and said that masks are required there (though she is a tad flaky so I'm not sure if she's right lol) and I know Michigan has been one of the stricter states in general.

• Like 1

My sister is having a birthday party for her kids in a couple weeks (joint party because their birthdays are close).  She doesn't really follow any of the guidelines.  Definitely doesn't wear a mask.  Normally there are like 40-50 people at the house and it's mostly indoors.  There is a deck but most people don't go outside.  

Kinda uncomfortable about going as I haven't been in a house setting like that since this started.  Would be nice to try to have it outdoors.  She said she may end up cancelling if a lot of people don't want to come but not sure.    

12 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Masks aren't required at your airport?  My aunt recently flew out of Midway and said that masks are required there (though she is a tad flaky so I'm not sure if she's right lol) and I know Michigan has been one of the stricter states in general.

IL requires them in public spaces when you can’t social distance, so maybe that’s why? Most airlines are requiring them on the plane, but not sure how that works in airports since they’re a mix of federal, state/local and private property. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hate to say it but the USA is in serious trouble and idk why but everywhere you turn these days is Americans arguing about facts vs fiction about the virus, "freedom", my political viewpoints vs yours, and who knows what else. It's enough to drive us all over the edge.

Ontario premier even says he will not support the border reopening and tbh we all feel the same as him. This virus is real, its deadly, you have to take precautions, and we're all at risk of death if we catch it. 

If it kills 1% of those infected, USA is looking at 3.5 million and everyone seems to be actively trying to expedite the process while the rest of us in the modern world have nearly stopped the virus in its tracks for now.

I don't get it?

The argument isn’t that it’s bad, it’s that is it worth the cost? How do you explain total shutdowns to someone like my mom who had to fire almost everyone at her hotel in Vegas. Foreclosures are shooting up to an insane amount which is going to drive up crime as well. Is it worth going to extreme measures to prevent what is mostly elderly death.

I don’t have the answer but it’s not as cut and dry as Stebo thinks. Sorry man but meteorologists aren’t getting laid off in this and you should understand that
  • Like 1

I don't get it?

Because Orangeman isn’t taking it seriously. That is the main problem.

• Weenie 1